• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Heavy Buffers

ChaseFan9

All other components being equal, would there be any noticeable difference in felt recoil between the two set ups? 

My last two builds I used the orange spring DPMS car buffer and adj gas block...compared to a regular spring and a tubbs flatwire also this one is a winner...adjusted the gas and its felt recoil is much better than any other combos I have  :) Wash

Well, I've already got a 7 5/8" tube,  and an adj gas block.  

So, should I use:

Armalite EC0120 AR10 Carbine H3 Buffer (5.4oz.)

or...

Vltor A5 H4 Buffer (6.83oz.)

VLTOR A5 buffers are incompatible with the AR-10 buffer system. They're too long (longer than standard AR-15 carbine buffer). If you want to go heavier than an H3 you'll need to get either Slash's HSS buffer or PWS H4 (also called suppressor weight).

I run one of Slash's extra heavy buffers along with an adjustable block on one of my 16" carbines. The combination of the two make it one SMOOTH running rifle. On a standard Armalite tube. Keep in mind, I built it like this for running it suppressed. But she runs just fine unsuppressed also. Especially when I finally get around to cleaning her. <lmao>

Called Sprinco.  Looks like I'm just gonna go with the Armalite spring and H3 buffer.  If tuning the gas block setting and that combo don't do the trick for ejection angle and recoil, I'll then either try their orange or red spring.  They said orange may be too much if I'm running a rifle length gas port.  We'll see....

The examples of the things in this thread are the very reason I stay away from all that VLTOR A-whatever mumbo-jumbo bull$hit in the first place. 

the VLTOR A-whatever system was specifically developed for the USMC, and their 20"-barreled M-16, so they could have a collapsible stock on it - and still have the thing function like it had the A1 extension and a rifle buffer in it. 

Edited by 98Z5V