• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Heavy Buffers

ChaseFan9

Here's what I did just today...ordered from this place  http://www.mi-techmetals.com/hd-crankshaft.htm

in 1/2diameter one piece at 1inch and one piece at .75 of an inch.....should be a lil less 3oz of weight then you add the buffer body

for bout 25 bucks I may have a heavier buffer  after this.....maybe by Saturday  I guess ive run out of $hit to do?   :)  Wash

https://www.mi-techmetals.com/cart/

Edited by washguy

That'd be nice, if I had a mill/lathe to work with....

Old carbide end mills that have been sliced up work good lol. I suppose you could always pull it apart and dump some molten lead in there?

You know, I was thinking the same thing, but how would the buffer body hold up against molten lead?  And would balancing be an issue?

I'm saying if I melt down some dense lead and fill a rifle length buffer to add mass, will I have any issues with function, carrier tilt, etc

I wouldnt think so,but filling up a rifle length buffer would be pretty doggone heavy.....better find out what weight you need before just filling it up  :) Wash

I used lead shot, until i found a crankshaft machining shop - then i started getting tungsten from them.

Caution - when you use lead shot, and you take the buffer apart later, everything inside the buffer body looks like schit.  All the lead dust probably isn't good for you, either.  Eh, whatever.

I wouldnt think so,but filling up a rifle length buffer would be pretty doggone heavy.....better find out what weight you need before just filling it up  :) Wash

I'd make sure how much it weighs first.  I'm thinking about 6 1/2 to 7 oz would be a good place to start, and work up from there (for .308, anyways)

I used lead shot, until i found a crankshaft machining shop - then i started getting tungsten from them.

Caution - when you use lead shot, and you take the buffer apart later, everything inside the buffer body looks like schit.  All the lead dust probably isn't good for you, either.  Eh, whatever.

I've got so much residual lead in my system, I'm sure a little more won't hurt lol

I like the idea of using "waste" tungsten, I just wish I had a shop close by that'd let me "clean up a little".  98, did you shape the tungsten with a lathe, or did you just put it inside the existing buffer? 

Chase...look at post #4      :) Wash

How did I forget about that?  lol

Good source, actually, I'll have to try it out.  Would I need a filler to keep the inserts from bouncing around in the buffer body?  I'd hate for the cap to pop off mid stroke and have a piece of tungsten slam my carrier...

98, did you shape the tungsten with a lathe, or did you just put it inside the existing buffer? 

Wasn't waste tungsten, man, and it certainly wasn't free.  Many crankshaft machining shops balance crankshafts, and they use tungsten for that.  I had the stuff sized by them.  i haven't done that since the firearms world caught on, and started offering heavier buffers.  I don't do lead shot anymore, either.

Just listed options for you.  <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...

Just got my tungsten in the mail today, so it's about time to add some weight.

Hey Wash, how did you position your weights when you added the heavier ones? I took all my measurements to .01 grams, so I'm about to do the math, but I'm going to try and end up with 8.5 to 10.5 oz.

Chase...I just used some of those lil round spacers from another buffer in between them.... why do you want so much weight in your buffer?....thats a lot you got going on there 8/10 ounces ... yikes :) Wash

Well, Slash's heavy rifle buffer weighs about 10 oz. I'd like to cut down recoil as much as possible, or at least lengthen the impulse to make it feel lighter, since most of my shooting with this rifle will be from a bench. I'll be running an adj. gas block, too, so I figured if I kept my weight around the same as Slash's I could avoid short stroking issues (or turning it into a single shot) without having an overgassed rifle.

I figured you used the spacers between the weights, but I meant where in the buffer did you position the heavier tungsten? I was thinking the back of the buffer (plug end) would be a good spot for them, but as long as I use those spacers does it even matter?

Chase I think you are over thinking this...if you have an adj gas block,and then get a Sprinco orange spring you would be good to go...you are defeating the purpose of the adj gas block....I just built 2 rifles using a Sprinco orange spring a regular ol DPMS buffer and an adj gas block...its softer shooting than my 6.8"s

the heavier the buffer the more gas and then there's the heavy mass moving back and forth  ...so you see you are working against yourself...and then the spring has to work in concert with it all.

what you are going to have is a "hot mess'   :) Wash

Good point, I think I got a little ahead of myself on this one. I probably won't need a heavier buffer on my .308, but I could probably benefit from heavier buffers in my 5.56's with non-adjustable gas blocks.

Looks like this one's going to the side for the time being