• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help restoring a BSA .243

ChaseFan9

Okay, I'm posting this from my phone because my laptop's outta commission, so bear with me. A friend of mine brought me a BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Co, fyi) bolt action .243 the other day. His dad gave it to him several decades ago, and he says he's dropped every deer he's ever killed with this rifle, and his dad passes a while back, so the rifle is more sentimental than anything at this point. The rifle had seen some abuse over some years of sitting around, and the stock was DOA from what I understand, so he gave it to a local pawn shop that said they'd help him out. Well, after a couple months he went to pick it up, and they gave him a box with the halfass sanded with the stripped barrel and receiver, a bag with the trigger module, front and rear standard sights, the mag body, spring and follower, and a semi-new unfinished Monte Carlo style stock. That's all the parts he has, so there's a good little bit of parts I need to find. I believe the rifle was, at one point, either a BSA CF2 standard or Stutzgen (due to the 20" barrel), but all BSA stamped were serial numbers and proof marks, and the company has been out ta business since the 80's or 90's, so I'm having trouble finding anything. I'll start out with something easy, can you guys help me source a bolt in .243 for this rifle? I don't mind going a little in the hole on this one due to the sentiment (hell, I expect it this time), so all options are open.

Can you get some pics Chase?

Looks like it was a modified Mauser action, with a pivoting safety that was part of the trigger group.  Two-lug bolt, with a plunger-type ejector.

BSA also made a CF2 Carbine model, which had the stock of standard CF2 and barrel of the Stutzgen.

They don't appear to be particularly valuable, even in very good condition.  

Not sure about sourcing a bolt.  Numrich doesn't have any.

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pictures on here, and having to use my cell makes it that much more difficult. It's not so much the monetary value as the sentimental, but I don't want to have to cannibalize a perfectly good rifle for a handful of parts if I don't have to.

That link really helps, I think I can get most of what I'm missing from one of those sites. Still need that elusive .243 bolt, thougj...

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pictures on here, and having to use my cell makes it that much more difficult. It's not so much the monetary value as the sentimental, but I don't want to have to cannibalize a perfectly good rifle for a handful of parts if I don't have to.

That link really helps, I think I can get most of what I'm missing from one of those sites. Still need that elusive .243 bolt, thougj...

Email them to me I'll upload them for you shepdawg79@yahoo

Thanks again, Shepp. That's all the parts he had left when my buddy brought it to me.

Hey Mike, what was the one you saw chambered in? I thought about modifying a Mauser bolt if I have to, but I'd think a .243 Mauser would cost more than a whole BSA rifle, and then headspacing would be more of an issue....

But I'm staying open-minded on this one, all advice is accepted