• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Who Likes a 10mm Pistol as a 308 AR Companion?

GunBugBit

Have been enjoying a new Gen 4 Glock 20.  Not super much a Glock guy, but I do find myself in ownership of 3  block-of-Glock plastic-metal blasters.

I thought finding ammo would be an issue but I'm finding there are enough sources of decent  10mm ammo.

Now I'm hankering for a 1911 in 10mm, such as the Dan Wesson Silverback (a Razorback with a bare stainless slide) available at a gun store all too near to me.  Very tempting.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky, I love 10mm almost as much as 1911's.

If you want a companion piece, you should pick Toolndie's brain. Knowing how fast he works he's probably finished that 10mm AR by now....

Its up and running :banana: Just needs the finishing touches to be called done.

• 3 months later...

10mm and an AR-10 style .308?  Heck, I'm all over that as they are two of my favorite guns.  I've got two stories that go with it.

It's been over a year and a half since my best friend and shooting buddy (Randy) passed away from complications from his cancer treatment.  I sure miss him but I've been helping his widow (Linda) with the selling of some of the guns she didn't feel the need to keep.  I really miss our shooting the 50 BMGs together.  I'm now carrying Randy's 10mm Delta Elite.  Linda sold it to an acquaintance and customer of mine. When she listed it she was perfectly honest about it listing it as a Foster Lower with a Colt Delta Elite upper custom handgun.  The guy that purchased it decided after about 3 weeks he wanted his money back for it. Since it was not both Colt upper and lower.  I told him that wow it was not cool to pull that and Linda was not a dealer and she was straight up front about the gun from the start.  I ended up telling him that I would purchase it from him rather than have her have to give his $1000 back.  I kind of figured he would get the point that you just didn't do that to a widow.  Well I ended up trading my 300 Blackout for it but don't regret it one bit.  It's my daily carry gun now, that shoots perfectly from the day we swapped.  It's also something I'm proud to carry that Randy was proud of and in remembrance of him. 

Of course I love my Armalite AR-10T and it's among the top 5 guns I own but there is a story to one of my other favorite guns and it's pretty new. A couple of years ago I purchased a FNAR .308 with the 20” heavy barrel. While It was okay the trigger was not something that made me very happy and I couldn’t find a way to make it like I wanted.  I never seemed to be able to get it group consistently below 1” to 1.5”as opposed to my Armalite AR-10T that gives me consistent .5 MOA groups with 168 grain A-Max bullets. So Tuesday the 28th of April I walked into the Yellow Rose a local range and gun shop run by a friend of mine and he had a Windham .308 Hunter with the wooden laminate nutmeg stock in the rack.  There was something about it that turned me on and Wednesday I dropped off my FNAR to see if I could get any nibbles on it so I could make room for the Windham rifle.  Well 3 hours later I got a call and it sold for what I had asked.  I expected it to set on his shelf for two or three weeks so I was pretty tickled.  On Thursday I had some time so I wandered down to the shop to make the deal the rifle. I've been working most of the evening on it getting it like I want it. I tried to get the trigger down to a reasonable weight the way I usually do by running a ¼”X28 tap up in the grip mounting hole and putting a 1/4 “ allen set screw to reduce the length of pull on the trigger however by doing that and putting lighter springs I still couldn’t bring the trigger pull down below 6 lbs.  So in the long run I ended up putting a 1.5 lb Jard trigger in it and mounted a Burris XTR 3-12X50 Extreme Tactical  scope on it that I originally had on the FN.   So far I've not had the time to work up any loads for it but my Armalite AR10T load of 168 gr Hornady A-Max in a Federal case, CCI Magnum primer and Varget powder has given me 5/8 center to center group so far.  I'm pretty pleased for it to perform this well without me tweaking the load so far and it only having an 18" barrel. fired it some more this weekend with my son in law and son along with my wife, daughter and grandson I was very surprised at the 300 yard accuracy.  My son in law has a 24" Browning .308 built with a Winchester action and a Hoag overmolded stock. The Windham out shot it and grouped at what looked like about a 2" group. I didn't have the Rhino as we were all in the son in laws truck. However I'm as pleased as I can be. I was not even shooting from a bench but shooting out of a deer hunting hut window. Even my 13 year old son put three bullets touching at the 300 yard gong then a couple of flyers opened up the group but he called them. He however is not getting my Windham for a long time. While I really like my Armalite AR-10 the guys a Windham are putting some real quality into their rifles. 

I do believe this rifle is going to be my new deer rifle and hog hammer. 

100_0187.JPG

Windham AR-10 .3081.jpg

Armalite AR-10T .308 4X14X56 3rd Gen Springfield scope.jpg

• 2 months later...

Whoops, I've been away for a while.  The slide is a Colt Delta Elite on a Foster/Caspian lower.  Randy built this gun several years ago and it still functions perfectly.  It's my every day carry gun and whenever I've felt the need to put it and shoot it's functioned without a hitch.  (shooting skunks, gophers and rattle snakes)