• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Starting some R&D on what I want and what I need...

Screwjack

Okay so from what I have read so far the logical place to start to be seems to be with a lower receiver and go from there.  It looks like you can build a .308 AR either from the ground up or you can get some assembled parts and put them together.  Meaning a stupid LR versus one with all the parts in it already and the same would be true for the uppers, is this correct?

So what I am thinking is an AR-15 based .308AR.  Ever though I am a beginner I would like to got with a stupid LR and put the parts in my self and maybe even get a nice trigger.  Couple of questions for you folks:

What kind of tools do I need to accumulate?

Is there an assembly manual that give the basics on LR assembly?

Is starting with the LR the logical place to start?

Also, if anyone wants to post pics of the .308AR I would not copy your build but look for ideas.

Thanks!

I'm in the middle of building one myself and I ran into problems trying to chamber a round.  At the moment, I think the best advise i can give you is don't do what i did and think you can build one as easy as an ar-15.  The parts are not standard like an ar-15 and twice the cost so it takes a lot more to get the to work together.  If I had it over, I think I'd pick a single manufacturer for the barrel, upper receiver and bolt carrier group and go from there.  I'm working on a Mega barrel, Aero precision upper receiver and a AIM surplus bcg and I can't get a round to go into the chamber without bending it.  Pretty damn frustrating after a lot of $.  

The lower receiver is easy to build as long as you use the same manuf for the receiver and parts kit. If you don't, you may have to alter some of the parts.  For the upper receiver/barrel install you'll need a vise and a vise block or barrel tool so you can torque the parts on.  When you get to that point im sure others will jump in and offer better advise than i can.  I used 2 wood blocks LOL.  Not very ideal but it worked.  Good luck!

I'm in the middle of building one myself and I ran into problems trying to chamber a round.  At the moment, I think the best advise i can give you is don't do what i did and think you can build one as easy as an ar-15.  The parts are not standard like an ar-15 and twice the cost so it takes a lot more to get the to work together.  If I had it over, I think I'd pick a single manufacturer for the barrel, upper receiver and bolt carrier group and go from there.  I'm working on a Mega barrel, Aero precision upper receiver and a AIM surplus bcg and I can't get a round to go into the chamber without bending it.  Pretty damn frustrating after a lot of $.  

The lower receiver is easy to build as long as you use the same manuf for the receiver and parts kit. If you don't, you may have to alter some of the parts.  For the upper receiver/barrel install you'll need a vise and a vise block or barrel tool so you can torque the parts on.  When you get to that point im sure others will jump in and offer better advise than i can.  I used 2 wood blocks LOL.  Not very ideal but it worked.  Good luck!

Thanks Yoda!  I was just reading an article about using the same manufacture for the barrel, upper receiver and bolt carrier, it is highly recommended from what I understand.  Also, I know it will likely not be as easy as I think, but this something I really want to do.  It will take me some time due to cost, but I got time  :))

Good luck with yours!

Hi Screw  Welcome aboard!   Ive always said two things over the years:

#1 build it..you will have fun and have pride in what you have done

#2 If you can chew gum and walk at the same time...you can assemble one...this aint rocket science

#3   dont get on a buying binge before checking in here

#4  I like Mega ma-10 matched upper/lowers...they already have installed some of the tedious parts for you

#5 these 308's tend to get heavy real quick like.... a 16" barrel will do anything you want while keeping weight down

now gimme your cc number so I can start ordering stuff for you  <laughs>   Wash

I can tell you I have both the AIM's Surplus and Aero precision BCG's and they are for all practical considerations identical.    I have a Rainer Select barrel in one of my rifles and it works better with only of my bolts than the other barrel which is a Aero Precision.

Did you check or have someone check headspace on your bolt/barrel?

Screwjack the guys here are super helpful.   I have learned a lot about the .308 platform in the few months I have been hanging around here.

Like Wash said its not rocket science, but there are lots of known issues about using various parts together.    My recommendation would be to put together a "dream list" and post it and get some feedback about compatibility

• 3 weeks later...

Okay here is what I have decided after doing extensive reading and video watching.

I am going to first build an AR15 .223.  I think since this is all mil spec it would be best for me to start here and wha the hell who could use two AR's anyway, right  <lmao>

So I have actually order a lower and a lower parts kit.  I will start there and see how things go.  But I will definitely be building me a .308 AR if all goes well with the .223.

The only thing throwing me at the moment is this damn headspace thing.  Wow what a controversy!  Seriously, some people say it don't matter, some say it does, some say you can fix incorrect headspace, some say you can't.  It's almost as bad as abortion and gay marriage arguments, sheesh! 

Strippers?  Who said Strippers...  :ugone2far:

Starting with a 5.56 rifle will give you the basics for assembly, and that's a good idea.  The big ones are just like the little ones, with very few exceptions, as far as assembly goes.  Build the small one, follow references, and you can't go wrong.  For the big one, do your research on parts compatability, and assemble with the same principles as the little one. 

Can't mess it up that way. 

Ask for parts guidance on the fat one.  Lots of things don't work well together.

51%20Big%20Boobs%20Chick%20with%20Machin

Edited by 98Z5V

XD Autocorrect. I think he meant STRIPPED lower receiver

I was hoping that's what it was  <laughs>

Building an AR 15 to start out is , as was said , a very good idea . Don't be shy about asking if some component(s) will play well together . The 308 version is slightly more challenging , when you step up to it . <thumbsup>

One word. YES! These things are putting out alot more power than a 556. Pressures are off the scale compared to their little brothers. Though I wouldn't want one of those blowing up in my hands (and/or) face either.

It believe it absolutely needs to be checked , just because , better safe then sorry .

Yes I understand that.  I guess what I meant was are there usually problems with headspace not being correct with .308's?  If so is it easily corrected?

Edited by Screwjack

• 2 weeks later...