• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ramshot TAC

survivalshop

Ramshot TAC is a great powder for the .308.  I load a 125 grain Nosler BT over 51 grains of TAC.  This gives me 2780 FPS out of a 12.5" barreled AR.  TAC gave me the highest velocity and lowest ES spread of any powder I tried.  Tac is clean burning and meters well thru automatic powder throwers due to it's ball shape.  I believe you will like loading with TAC.

I used to use the TAC exclusively to load clone Mk262 ammo, and it got hard to find.  I switched to Varget, and worked up a good 77gr load with it, and it got hard to find.  I now load that 5.56 heavy 77gr with 24.0 grains of RL15, and hope it doesn't get hard to find...   <lmao>

...and now you're buying 8lbs of TAC.  My, how we go round and round...  :banana:

Ditto on the TAC. It's a great powder for 7.62x51. 39 grains under a 168 BTHP 2.800" LOA has been a real winner in everything. It's been somewhere between acceptable and respectable in the 5.56 23.3 grains under a 77 grain BTHP in a 1:8 barrel for me. Feeds like water from a Uniflo and burns very clean.

What is your "normal" powder?

Respectfully

Terry

WC 846 . Might be a pull down powder , but I got a four, 8# jugs ,case about twenty years ago & almost out of it . I'm bummed out , because I have to work up loads , all over again .

I like 4064 , but its not performing like the WC 846 & it is hard sometimes to meter. I don't mind it that much when I hand weigh my target test rounds .

Wideners has it in 8# containers , about the only way I buy powder ( when I can , that is ) I can see some powders are finally coming back .

Ditto on the TAC. It's a great powder for 7.62x51. 39 grains under a 168 BTHP 2.800" LOA has been a real winner in everything. It's been somewhere between acceptable and respectable in the 5.56 23.3 grains under a 77 grain BTHP in a 1:8 barrel for me. Feeds like water from a Uniflo and burns very clean.

Glad you posted this. I was looking for this bullet/powder combo earlier this evening. Picked up 600 Nosler 168 gr CC's and 5 lbs of TAC the other day.

Glad you posted this. I was looking for this bullet/powder combo earlier this evening. Picked up 600 Nosler 168 gr CC's and 5 lbs of TAC the other day.

Make sure you work it up from a minimum.Some of my friends' rifles (M14s) use upwards of 42 grains of TAC under the 168 BTHP Sierras. I couldn't even approach that amount, but they run their reloads real hot and I don't beat up my rifles or myself that way. The only powder I would prefer to TAC is AA2520, but I haven't seen that in almost three years.

The only powder I would prefer to TAC is AA2520, but I haven't seen that in almost three years.

I love that stuff - sitting on 2lbs of it right now, until I use it to work up some Hornady 75gr loads with it in 5.56 LC brass.  <thumbsup>

Make sure you work it up from a minimum.Some of my friends' rifles (M14s) use upwards of 42 grains of TAC under the 168 BTHP Sierras. I couldn't even approach that amount, but they run their reloads real hot and I don't beat up my rifles or myself that way. The only powder I would prefer to TAC is AA2520, but I haven't seen that in almost three years.

Accurate says 39.7 gr of Tac is the minimum to 44.1 max on thier load data chart. So 39 gr is below the minimum charge weight? Seems kind of low.

Edited by tbready

I rely on multiple charts to find a beginning load, and I lean heavily on Sierra's charts as they seem to be the most "accurate" for me. I've checked my scale multiple times with independent weights to see if it is off, but it's not. 41 grains of TAC was getting to be too much, as pressure signs were beginning, the recoil was more than I liked, and the groups were beginning to degrade. Cross my fingers, but with 39 grains of TAC I have perfect functioning, and the accuracy is great. That's why I cautioned start low and work up. What works optimally for one rifle may not work for another. That's what the joy (and frustration) of reloading is all about. Just keep good records (but you knew all this, right?) Regardless, TAC is a superb powder for our AR308s.

BTW, 98Z5V, I regularly bother the good folks at Accurate/Ramshot/Western Powder asking about AA2520. They take it in stride, but their most recent reply was "the powder is at the manufacturer and should be ready by late spring or early summer." We can only hope.

The above is correct , no two Barrel/Chambers will react the same to reloading . Its why I can wring so much better accuracy out of just about any rifle when compared to Factory ammo .

But...  are you smarter than a 5th grader better than a Canuck PROFESSIONAL Gunsmiter?...  <dontknow> :banana:

Ya baby , now to do some load development . Should not be as involved as a Powder that has no loading data , such as WC846 & I know what FPS the rifles & Bullets like already . I will load some up today, I have the brass al ready primed & ready to go . I need more  <thumbsup>

post-11255-0-29563500-1431447246_thumb.j

Ya baby , now to do some load development . Should not be as involved as a Powder that has no loading data , such as WC846 & I know what FPS the rifles & Bullets like already . I will load some up today, I have the brass al ready primed & ready to go . I need more  <thumbsup>

attachicon.gifDSCN2420.JPG

You lucky dog. I settled on 39.3 gr of TAC under the 168 gr Nosler CC . Shooting 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yds out of my 18" PA 10 with 3 out of 5 touching each other. I'm happy.

Wish I had the extra cash to buy more when I did . This powder is what I'm looking for , if it stands up , as said , to my WC846 , which I will probably never see again. This powder looks like it will meter real well in the Dillon & my Redding Powder measurers .

39.3 is at the low end of the loading span , I would be happy with it , thats about the same charge wt. as I'm using with WC846. 

I'm going in a different direction with my rifles , I'm going to be loading Bullet weights closer to MilSpec ball , around 155 gr. with the 308 & 55 & 62gr. (non-penitrator ) with the 5.56 . I can't find a place close to shoot long range , so I pretty much gave up on it , for now & am concentrating on up to 200 yards & see how they do .

The damn 155gr bullets are more $$ then the 168's . Can't wait to try this powder out , my powder has a lot of age to it , this new Tac may shoot better , who knows . All the Powders we all like are hard to come by , still makes me wonder what are the real reasons behind it , not what all the Gun Rag writers are putting out .

Hard to tell the two powders apart , WC 846 seems to have more flattened type granules , meters just like the WC846 .

WC 846 on the left & Tac on the right.   I'm going to take some with my Camera mounted Microscope , just to see what they look like up close . Not that it matters.

post-11255-0-06805300-1431559712_thumb.j

Test ammo for tomorrow . Four different Bullets Manufacturers 

post-11255-0-67594900-1431559863_thumb.j

I shot some loads today , the Chronograph was giving me fits , so, not much in any load stat's , some shots registered , most didn't . I would shoot a round &  then the display read the Battery low , so change the Battery & take on shot , then the some thing , low battery . I ran out of new in the wrapper batteries . Took my meter out of the truck & sure enough all three batteries were on the low side for 9 volts , junk batteries , I guess .

I will take some photo's of the Targets & show what results I did get with some of the loadings . I can say that 41.5 - 42 gr.'s of Tac will be about as high as I will go with the 168's , the primers were a little on the flat side , not bad , but was showing me something . 

I was shooting my 20" HB 308 AR for these loads .

• 2 weeks later...

Chrono'd my Nosler 168 gr loads with TAC yesterday. 39.3 gr is giving me an average of 2330fps from an 18" barrel with LC brass. Accurate load but kinda slow. Loaded out for range ammo anyways. Doesn't even budge the brass when resizing. Cases should last a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Target photo's , just got around to them . I see that 40 gr. of Tac looks like it will work fine , same charge wt. as the WC 846 . I picked up more batteries for my Chrono today ,so I can see if I can get some results with both rifles .

I got my 155gr. bullets in today to play with also .

# 1 is the 40gr. WC846 168gr. SMK ,comparison load that & warm up shots. I knew they shot good out of this 20" Criterion bbl. 

# 2 is  41 gr. Tac with the last of my 168 gr. Mil/LE bullets ,I can't seem get good results with them & for the price of fifty , I'm glad .

# 3 is 40 gr.  Tac with Hornady 168 Match , There is three shots there .

# 4 is  40.5 gr. Tac with Hornady 168 gr. Match , it must be me or there is that much difference with 0.5 gr. of Tac. <dontknow>

post-11255-0-69005100-1433353580_thumb.j

# 6 is 40 gr. Tac & 170 gr. match bullet that I got from a guy almost twenty years ago , I had 1000 , now I have about fifty left , I'm not sure who made them , but they shoot really well in both bbl's .

here is the Bullet next to a Barnes 168 gr. LE bullet. its like a stepped boat tail .

post-11255-0-87634700-1433354527_thumb.j

# 7 is the same 170 gr. Bullet with 41 gr. of Tac.

post-11255-0-47385000-1433353641_thumb.j

To me this Tac is about the same as the WC 846 , all I have to do is get some good Chrono results to compare . I now have 155 gr. Nosler Match & Hornady 155 gr. A Max to set up for .

• 4 years later...

I know this is an older thread, but seemed on point.  I'm in the process of working up a couple loads for 308win using TAC & Hornady ELD bullets.  These would be for use in an AR.  I just started an 80% build so naturally my kid had to run out & buy a Springfield Saint in 308 just to be a turd.  I figured it would at least give me a chance to have him test out a few loads to see how they work for him.  I managed to get a hold of some ELD-X in 178gr & ELD-M in 195gr.  I've got a fresh jug of Ramshot TAC, but for that particular combination in 308 there isn't a lot of specific data  Most books lump that weight into a 175-180gr range & also most of the ones I have don't even list TAC.  I would be interested if anyone has experience with this combo or of any info on this combo in 308.  Thanks.