• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix Aero Rear Takedown Spring

ChaseFan9

Okay, since my SSA-E finally came in I decided it was time to assemble my lower. I'm using a Matrix Aerospace lower and a parts kit that came with it (essentially, Chris modified the bolt catch for me). I went to install the rear takedown pin, detent, spring, and my Luth MBA-2, and I realized the rear spring was much too short as it disappeared into the rear of the lower. I checked all my parts before assembly, and the front and rear detent springs are exactly the same. I've looked around and I can't find anything but the standard spring length.

It almost seems like I need a 716 rear detent spring, but I think those are like $60.

Sorry, it's late and I'm tired and frustrated

Edit:My rear takedown pin detent and spring are held in place with the stock, not the grip. Not sure If I was very clear about that...

Edited by ChaseFan9

Does your Lower Receiver have threads in the hole for the spring . Some Manufacturers use a set screw or plug to tension that spring .   If its not threaded , you can thread it , some here do that even with the AR 15 platform . I have compression spring stock & can cut you a spring to what ever length you want , also .

Does your Lower Receiver have threads in the hole for the spring . Some Manufacturers use a set screw or plug to tension that spring . If its not threaded , you can thread it , some here do that even with the AR 15 platform . I have compression spring stock & can cut you a spring to what ever length you want , also .

I was thinking the same thing, but I checked the hole and no threads, and my LPK didn't come with the plug screw. I read about people threading the hole, but I can't seem to find a small enough tap. I'd rather keep from modifying the receiver if I can help it.

I'm probably gonna try Robo's coat hanger mod, but if that doesn't work, how much would you charge me for a spring, SS? It's standard detent spring diameter, but it looks like it needs to be closer to 1.750" long

4-40 tap, and a 3/8" 4-40 set screw will solve the problem.

Sorry, I meant I can't find a 4-40 here at the house. I'd like to avoid buying MORE tools after all the schitt I've bought these past few weeks. For a little while, anyways :D

For the time being, looks like the coat hanger will work. The hole will most likely end up threaded later. Do y'all recommend any specific 4-40 tap, I know those little ones like to break, and I might need to use it again

Yep, we tap and thread all our lowers when we make them, and put in a 4-40 x 1/8" long set screw to hold the spring in. Any tap will work. It's soft aluminum, but always take your time and do it a little at a time (start the tap, back it out, tap it further by one turn at most, back it out.... repeat until you have around 1/4" of good thread.)

Edited by shibiwan

6-32 tap and set screw work well, too.  Drill first, with the correct drill bit - #35 or #36 work equally well in this role.  Larger diameter, larger allen (not brittle, like the tinyass allen that fits a 4-40, I think it's 0.050").  More meat, coarser threads, easier to work with.  I thread all mine with 6-32, unless they were already threaded for 4-40. 

EDIT - 6-32 set screws are a hell of alot easier to find, too.  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

6-32 tap and set screw work well, too.  Drill first, with the correct drill bit - #35 or #36 work equally well in this role.  Larger diameter, larger allen (not brittle, like the tinyass allen that fits a 4-40, I think it's 0.050").  More meat, coarser threads, easier to work with.  I thread all mine with 6-32, unless they were already threaded for 4-40. 

EDIT - 6-32 set screws are a hell of alot easier to find, too.  <thumbsup>

The standard size detent hole is actually oversized for a 4-40 screw so tapping is easy (you're looking at 50% thread, maybe a little less).

Ace Hardware and True Value - easiest places to find fasteners in a pinch.

I honestly didn't even think about opening the hole up for a bigger stud (wait for it....)

I'll probably go 6-32, I know I've got that little baby tap, at least. For now, though, my coat hanger mod looks to do the job, as it just happens to slide right in with a light coat of grease with no sideways play and just enough spring tension

The standard size detent hole is actually oversized for a 4-40 screw so tapping is easy (you're looking at 50% thread, maybe a little less).

Ace Hardware and True Value - easiest places to find fasteners in a pinch.

You don't need to drill up if you do 4-40.  The standard milling is fine for it, and you just run the tap in it. Works fine.  No hazard.

6-32, don't even try to run the tap in the standard milling - you'll be trying to figure out how the fuk you're gonna save your lower, once you break the 6-32 tap off in there.  Drill with the #35 or #36 first, a little more than the depth of your 6-32 set screw.  <thumbsup>

6-32 is far superior.  Fuk 4-40.

• 1 month later...

Received my Matrix upper/lower combo from Chris Riedeman today.  Found some surprises.  Possibly not for you. 

1.  Under the rear take down pin is what appears to be a captive detent. 

2.  The two holes under where the grip goes are not the same size.   At least not at the surface.  .Appears to be about 1/8th" and then steps down.

3.  If someone will tell me how, I will ad pictures.

When you open the reply , you will see at the bottom right , " More Options " open that & on the bottom left side you will see " Attach Files " , chose the file you want , then" attach this file " & once its shows up below the text box , add it where you want .

There are other ways , but I don't know them .

Ok.  Pictures.  Maybe.....

Yep.  Thanks to survivalshop.  A true gentleman.

Update.  This captive detent is centered on the rear take down pin upper flange or whatever you call the thing with the hole in it and be nice for goodness sake.  We are out of our teens....yes? ???

post-16106-0-58957800-1434765021_thumb.j

post-16106-0-49781000-1434765038_thumb.j

Edited by taffrail

I was wondering when they were gonna move that schit. That solves one issue, anyways.

Hey taff, he sent you a lpk, too, right? What does the bolt catch look like? Can you post some pics?

BTW, seems like that captive detent in the fcg pocket keeps tension on the rear takedown pin, but it definitely keeps the fit between the receivers tight and play to a minimum.

Go from the grip area for that, or you'll have to cut a section of coathanger, piano wire, etc., in order to use that rear entry, and make up the space... 

Someone mentioned a coathanger earlier - that would have to be a small wire diameter damn coathanger...