• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lightest upper receiver???

breastroker

Darn, now I want to get it to 5.5 pounds the next barrier. The SAA upper receiver is at least 3 ounces heavier than what I expected. Really nothing I can do with the lower right now. There is zero reasons for a forward assist.

If only 2A would come out with a Balios Lite 308 receiver set. I expect before the end of this year we will have a titanium trigger group, that would cut 1 ounce, they already have titanium trigger pins.

Also expect someone who is already working with titanium to come out with a carrier at least 2-3 ounces less than the JP LMOS carrier.

There really is no reason to have a 10-12 pound AR308. Even my SASS barreled upper weighs only 7.3 pounds using this lower.

There really is no reason to have a 10-12 pound AR308..

Maybe for you... while I agree the conquest is a noble one and very enticing... I'm going to assume you're not in a career that provides the likelihood of your rifle ever being used in a combat situation.

While I would love a 5 or 6 lbs rifle for hunting or competition, I wouldn't dare risk using it to pull myself up in elevation or to hammer through barriers.

There are a lot of forces involved with a big bore cartridge & the lighter you make one to shoot it , I would think certain components would not have a long service life .

Some the the best combat rifles in history are in that 10-12 # range . All Battle proven & excellent service lives . <dontknow>

How many people here are service men serving on the front line???? Do you have Taliban or Isis in your sites? Do SWAT teams really use their AR10s to hammer through barriers or do they use more appropriate things like sledge hammers? Bad things happen even to mil spec AR's when you try to smash the buffer tube and stock.

The whole "Tactical" thing is almost over, over done. 99.99% of us will never use the stock to break in a door, we really don't have need of a flash hider, and we don't shoot 5000 rounds a month, let alone a year. My pet peeve is the flash hider, if hunting any animal within a mile will start running. If you think you need one inside a building, take the best flash hider there is and shoot inside a building, some one will still see the flash!

Of course the one really usefull item is a suppressor, that costs at least $1000 to get started with an AR308.

As to battle rifles, how much does the M1 and M14 weigh? Less than 12 pounds! How much did the M16 weigh, closer to 7 pounds. Only when it got "Tactical" and single shot did it gain weight. There are a lot of 10-12 pound AR15's in 556! They are usually called Safe Queens.

I quote Master Sargent Kyle Lamb " I wish I had a 4 pound AR when I was active duty" 

Quite frankly every one of my replacement parts are higher quality than the parts they replaced. Of course there is no Mil Spec in the AR10/ AR308 world, there should be it would help the market.

I actually do carry a rifle at work. I have used it to clear broken glass in windows, as a step ladder for teammates, and as a brace to pull myself up. "More appropriate tools" are not carried by all of us. So "Tactical" still has a place for .01% of us...

I agree that I'd love my rifles to all weigh 4 lbs... hell, I wish they weighed 2 lbs... but not at the sacrifice of durability, reliability and "tactical" features.

As technology advances, those features are getting lighter and lighter. There's some great items out there if you're willing to spend the $$$. I invested in a carbon fiber wrapped barrel to cut weight. Using 6065 parts instead of 7075 helps. The new polymers that are available make a huge difference too.

I agree with you on the flash hiders. I'm a comp fan, but can see the bonus of a good brake. The new blast shields are nice for us .01% guys who don't want to blow up our partners... all extra weight

No just my pet peaves, my brother is a LEO, on a SWAT team and he is soon to retire too.

Like the LEO Robocop states, 0.01% actually need the heavy duty stuff. Not sure if he meant 6061 or 6065??? Generally 7075 T6 weighs much less than the more generic 6061.

I am not sure I could shoot any 308 without a good brake, bad shoulder. The V7 Furion titanium brake is not only 1.45 ounces but with two chambers cuts recoil by 45-50%.

Technology is advancing rapidly, used to think Novesky and other $$$ were top quality, but even companies like Battle Arms is going to many titanium parts, and their new Detroit lower AR15 is sweet looking.

I actually do carry a rifle at work. I have used it to clear broken glass in windows, as a step ladder for teammates, and as a brace to pull myself up.

I guess the G36 was wroth the $$$$$$$$$$$$ after all! Look how versatile it is after its sight loses zero!  <laughs>

My 1991 Chicom SKS was $95 and would shoot 1 MOA with good brass ammo, and under 2 MOA with the then 8 cent steel cored ammo. Boy those were the days. 22LR was close to 1 to 2 cents a round.

Last year I sold my SKS for $600, bought an $800 scope with the money.

Man, I haven't seen an SKS for under $300 in years. Boy do I miss the good ol' days....

My buddy bought his for the $89 (or maybe it was $79?) Then added an aftermarket stock, bolt and scope... totalling 4x or 5x the value of the rifle. He used to go hunting with me, carrying it. It was the only bayonet-toting deer rifle I'd ever seen. The joke was constantly about "just in case the deer charged us".

Back in the day we bought sks's for 49 bills...mac 90's for 79 bills stamped, and the milled ones for 89 at the gun shows...sold all of em cept one to fund a couple of 308 builds. never forgot the first time I shot the sks in a dark indoor range...more fire out the top than at the muzzle...:) Wash