• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Revolver help

blue109

Not really my Dad got a S and W Highway Patrol in 1952, I got one in 1977. Still my all time favorite revolver. Mine is 6" not 4" and accurate to 50 yards in the black quite easily. Will never sell it. Will be going to my son. Check out Gun Trader for pricing.

Revolvers are like Gold any more , at least the older ones . I think S&W makes a mod. 66 new version , not sure if that helps an older version or not . If it was a Colt , he could ask just about what ever he wanted for it.  They made a lot of those S&W's 66's . I have quite a few older Revolvers , both S&W & Colts & I sure will not sell any of them .

It comes down to how bad do you want it  <dontknow>

I think it's a newer one, it Would most likely end up in the hustle rotation which is why the market value makes a difference to me. He offered it with 700rds for my mountain bike, but I think I can do a little better selling the bike. I'll have time to do some assessment this weekend.

S&W 66, can't tell the "dash" number by the photo but it is what is now referred to by S&W collectors as "pre-lock".

The "lock" is the unsightly action lock, located above the reshaped cylinder releases on S&Ws produced after their landmark cave-in to Clinton, agreeing to equip all new handguns with action locks.

The lock is reputed to seize the action on the D/A revolvers all by itself.  The first people reporting it were deemed too stupid to operate a revolver but more and more incident accounts rolled into gunsmiths, forums, and magazines.

The difference in price between pre-lock and lock on the same model can be $300-$500 and more, depending on rarity of the model.

Not a 66 ,but the lock key hole is shown.  

post-11255-0-57075000-1437216081_thumb.j

Like was said , they make a new Model 66 & there are much older ones , you can probably tell which it is by the serial number . I don't think the new ones have the Lock , but have not kept up with Revolvers .  

Edited by survivalshop

I looked at two of my S&W's , the Model 29 is a 29-3 & the Model 19 Target is a 19-3 & I know the Model 19 is much older then the Model 29 . I looked on the S&W Forum & they mostly say that those numbers are meaningless  . I always thought they meant something too.  WTF , I am so behind on the old stuff , I used to know this crap at some point . tis the trouble with getting old , too much input is forgotten with time . 

Edited by survivalshop

I think the reason the S&W forum says they are "worthless" is so they can get a leg up on folks looking to sell or trade.

The -#s give a person a very good idea of production dates, if it is a limited edition (for example the 25-7 in .45 Colt, matte finish, unfluted cylinder, pre-lock, "Model of 1989" on the barrel), etc.

Smith also screws up once in awhile, like when they turned out a couple of dozen .45 revolvers on M29 frames.  Get one of those with a authentication letter from Smith and collectors go googy.

I used to own a N frame in 45 Colt , 25-2 , 3 , 5 or something like that , long time ago .  I just watched a Chuck Norris movie from 1985, he was a cop & every cop in it had a 6" Revolver ,  all in shoulder holsters kinda made me laugh .

Revolvers did just fine for LE and still would.  But the feds switched so all the locals had to follow suit.

Plenty of evidence to show local PDs and sheriff depts padded crime states in the '90s, in order to justify the purchase price of semi-autos.  Now the prices have flipped and wheelies are the pricey fun guns.

When I think I need to go BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG I strap on the model 25-.45 or the Ruger.357 service 6. I have a 1911 that I dearly love but it has went BANG....CLICK before. When the wheel gun goes CLICK just pull the trigger again BAM!

Edited by mrmackc

I recommend wheel guns to all new people wanting to have a carrie gun , when they have no experience with firearms . They can always gain experience with semi auto firearms a their leisure until they become proficient enough to carrie them . My wife carries a wheel gun , she used to pack my Colt 4" King Cobra , I put a stop to that when I got an Air weight S&W , & she was very happy with the weight difference . <thumbsup>

I recommend wheel guns to all new people wanting to have a carrie gun , when they have no experience with firearms . They can always gain experience with semi auto firearms a their leisure until they become proficient enough to carrie them . My wife carries a wheel gun , she used to pack my Colt 4" King Cobra , I put a stop to that when I got an Air weight S&W , & she was very happy with the weight difference . <thumbsup>

I don't.  Saying semi-autos "are complicated" is like telling students they are too stupid to learn.

Revolvers that are ideal for EDC, when compared to a like-sized/same weight semi-auto, flat out suck.  A 5-shot aluminum framed revolver carries 40% less ammo, sights are beyond suckage, and they hurt to practice with from the factory.  Add in bulky "speed" loaders and it takes their training commitment to a whole different level.  The absolute hardest thing for new shooters to overcome is recoil accompanied by pain.

Most retail workers that recommend lightweight revolvers to new shooters aren't able to hit the target with their recommendation.

Time and time again, I've seen new shooters show up with "simple" revolvers that cost them twice as much as a comparable semi-auto and end up purchasing a semi-auto after taking the class.

I agree with plane 100%. I also know my wife just can't seem to work a slide, and is happy with her little revolver, so that's what she has. Also, if my wife is in a bad situation, and needs more than 5 shots, I have no illusions as to the outcome. I understand training could overcome these things, but work and 2 babies, and to be honest a lack of interest, prevent much practice from happening. I know it's not ideal, but it is what it is for her, and many others. She can hit someone at close range if the need arises. She will never draw if the threat isn't immediate and to her or the kids. I think that's the reason revolvers get recommended.

Not sure what you guy's are agreeing with or not agreeing with . Its a simple fact that it takes great deal of time to master a semi auto firearm for concealed carrie , for a new to firearms person , the revolver is pull the trigger & it goes off . Try that with a student & put a low power load or a dummy round in the Mag.& see what happens , The stove pipe is easy to set up , it goes bang , bullet exits the barrel, but they have no idea how to clear it & a put dummy round in there , they try to pull the trigger again & that my friends is deadly to them in a stressful situation .

No one said to use full power loadings for a first time shooter , you use a 22 cal. or reduced power loads with light bullets . My wife is a competent shooter , she has shot everything from a 1919A4 belt fed to a Mini Mac380 , to every 44 mag I own , its her choice as it would be for anyone who carries , she shoots semi autos , but feels more competent in a stressful situation to carrie a small light weight revolver . You don't need a fifteen shot mag. for self defense , look up how many shots are normally shot in a confrontation , yes if you have more ammo , more will get shot, that doesn't mean they are needed . 

I don't push any firearm on any one because its ultimately up to them what they feel comfortable with , the revolver is easy to train with & as said if they want to go with a semi auto after they feel comfortable with shooting , I will show them that , along with clearing drills . <thumbsup>

I was agreeing that a semi is a much better overall weapon...as long as the carrier is trained and practiced in its use. That isn't always the case. Why my wife still has a revolver.

Sadly that just usually doesn't happen...with revolver or semi-auto.

Like another friend says (quoting Kim Jong Il) "You MUST train every day!"

• 1 year later...

Brought this old thread back for the simple fact I am " rediscovering " revolvers. To be honest I like their feel better, and I shoot them better as well. Plus, this sounds strange, but the big S and W N frames, the Dan Wessons, and the Pythons are works of art. A big stainless S and W 629 is just an awesome looking firearm. With the 357 or 44 Mag I can reach out to 50 yards with no problem. Wouldn't think of that with a 45 acp auto unless it was accurized, and even then I for one would not be consistent with it. Can't say about the 10 mm, as no experience with it, but I am guessing it would be better.

I started shooting pistol metalica sillouettes with a Colt .357  Trooper (Texas DPS Highway patrol issue) and traded it for 8 3/4" super blackhawk back in the 1970s and downloaded the .44 magnums to  .44  A really sweet shooting single action.

Edited by mrmackc