• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

welcomes appreciated. First build advice

Kingchooser

Thanks for the welcomes in the intro. Since my first build has already changed, I figured I would try and get any advice I might need here soon. Here goes:

matrix aerospace upper, lower, and handguard didn't pan out, so now going with aero precision upper and lower with an Odin works 15.5" Kmod  handguard. Since I am getting a geissele, I'm planning on just buying the bolt catch, pivot/takedown pins, and extended mag catch button from AP, a mag catch from dpms, and cannabilizing parts to finish it out.

My 18.5" SS Fulton Armory barrel, bcg and gas tube will be here Monday. 

i have an a2 stock off my original Bushmaster I plan on making a kydex cheek piece for. 

When I get my SLR sentry 9 clamp on gas block in, I plan on calling Sprinco to figure out buffer system. 

Throw a silencerco specwar muzzle break on, and I think I'm done. 

I talked with ODIN Works, and they say they haven't had any problems with the Aero Precision uppers flushing out at the rail. I hope this is the case. 

Has anyone here had luck buying bolt catch screw that works on AP? I figure the only reason they don't sell one, is because the DPMS ones will work. I realize I might be trying to hard to keep from buying the AP LPK, but I am squeezing every penny for what it's worth, and I have enough extra parts to get through it I believe. Is a sound stupid, should I just buy the damn kit?

thanks for any heads ups or thoughts.

Great forum here. 

I think if you stay with DPMS components , you should be OK with the Areo . Plenty of Threads on Areo builds around here some where . I know there were problems with the Areo Buffer system that they sell, not sure if they corrected it yet  , but you can look around & find the answers you need , just have to read up on some of the sections .

I think if you stay with DPMS components , you should be OK with the Areo . Plenty of Threads on Areo builds around here some where . I know there were problems with the Areo Buffer system that they sell, not sure if they corrected it yet  , but you can look around & find the answers you need , just have to read up on some of the sections .

I had to cut a notch in the Aero buffer tube for my Matrix set. It was too deep and didn't reach all the threads. added three quarters but after the notch I only needed two, gave me about an 1/8 inch clearance from the bolt catch when the buffer was bottomed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go. I have searched to no avail. Bolt catch not holding carrier back. I can engage the catch manually, barely bump stock, and down she comes. I found some posts on arfcom addressing same issue, but pics of catch modification aren't there any longer. Anyone able to describe or post a pic of the grinding that needs to be done to the AP bolt catch?  The only reason I bought the ap LPK was to avoid this. Why do they sell parts that don't work with their receivers. On the brighter side, the 15.5" Odin works kmod flushes out with rail perfectly. Also, David tubb flatwire buffer spring feels weak. Maybe it will be fine, I'll know tomorrow

Thanks for any help

I had the same problem when I built my 80%.  I had planned to modify an AR-10 bolt stop, per info from 98 on a thread here someplace.  Turns out I had to take my rifle up to Mega on a bolt carrier issue.  While there I was given a bolt stop that was being used in some rifles being assembled by Mega for another company.  It was one of those, "take along one of those and try it" things.  I did, and it worked super.  I had bought three different DPMS bolt stops and a couple of AR-10 bolt stops, none of which worked.  The one I got at Mega was just "taller", worked flawlessly.  My rifle was an 80% lower and an AP upper.  This is not an uncommon problem in the .308AR world.

Wish I could tell you the brand name of the bolt stop, but I never asked.  Maybe give Mega a call.  They are a superb organization, and extremely helpful.

BTW, my problems were in no way related to any Mega parts,although I did use one of their excellent barrels.  They assisted me anyway.

Interesting.  I bought an Aero Precision M5 receiver set a year ago but never got around to building it.  I actually started the project up again.  So I bought the DPMS .308 LPK and also bought the Aero Precision .308 take down pins since I knew the DPMS ones would not work.  I don't remember seeing anything about the DPMS bolt catch when I did my research a year ago.

I'm no where near ready to function test the rifle since I still need a barrel....  Now you guys got me worried.  The fact that Aero sells a bolt catch specifically for the M5 receiver is telling me that the DPMS one might not work.  Why would they design one specifically for the M5 if the DPMS one works????  Probably because it doesn't and they had to design their own.  While I'm at it I'd probably buy the extended mag release button since the stock DPMS one is way too short....

Edited by BadBoyBilly

When I was looking at AP's Bolt Catch, it just says it's a replacement steel bolt catch for a DPMS .308 lower.  So my interpretation of that description is telling me the DPMS .308 bolt catch that comes in the DPMS kit should work as well?  It doesn't say anything about it being specifically designed for the M5 like the take down pins or the extended mag release button.

If I remember correctly, I remember reading that some bolt catches would crack and that people had to upgrade to a higher strength metal to prevent the issue from happening again.  I'm guessing that the AP one is just simply that, a higher strength replacement for people who experienced a cracked one?

The best analogies of the bolt catch would be to compare it the a golf driver; if a DPMS is a 300cc driver then the Armilite is an older Big Bertha Driver. Head size and contact area is the key until it touches the underside of the bolt carrier when it is in the down position.(bigger is better to that point).