• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

is this normal for a new barrel?

washguy

I just got in a Aero Precision  308 barrel just for giggles its this    :cut n paste

clear1x1.gif
This 16" mid length barrel is the perfect
addition to your .308 build. Crafted to mil-
spec standards from 4150 Crome Moly Vanadium"
So like always I run a patch thru it before the install...daaamn the patch came out black and nasty...so out comes the Hoppes...geez its almost like it had lead fouling it was so nasty black...after running a brush thru it ....even worse...finally cleaned up...but my question is..is this normal on a cmv barrel? all of my barrels over the last years have never done this when new...but they were not cmv either.. is it the machining process on cmv?  .clue me in please         Wash

Good Question? I've got a new Ares 16" CMV Barrel here, I'll shove a patch through it and post the results shortly. 

I used a an ares 300 aac in a build a couple of weeks ago and the patch when run thru the new barrel looked nothing like this...oh crap its a cmv...so I have used this type of barrel forgot it was cmv     Ha   Wash

LOL Yea, I just ran a patch through the new Ares barrel and besides a hint of surface rust it came out pretty clean - I think I'd call

Aero and run it by them if nothing else they should be aware if the need to clean them before use - I figure it's kinda like when

you get a block or crank back from the machine shop, ya gotta clean it out real well (oil galleys, journals, bores, etc) before assembly.

Wonder if it was test fired .  Most any bore preservative should have been wiped / blown out on test fire . One would think . Unless it was reapplied after test firing . 

Survival  this one has got me worried....cleaned the heck out of it yesterday...got a lil rust/preservative on first cleaning...from then on it was black...scrubbed with hoppes cleaner and brush...black patches...then took it out back again just now and cleaned some more used mp7 bore cleaner/hoppes....black for several patches then cleaned up pretty much....checked the extension ...doesnt look like it was ever mounted or had a bolt in battery...the bore shines though...hmmmmm...never seen this     Wash

Guru  thanks for checking yours!  ill give them a shout

Edited by washguy

I have bought two barrels in the last few months, one .308 and one .223, both from Faxon.  I cleaned both before installing and there was some oil but little gunk or dirt present (even though the .308 barrel package had been opened somewhere in transit).  If there was I would have been concerned as to where that barrel had been before it got to me.

Edited by EngrBob

So i called ballistic advantage and told him what was going on...he said its prolly from the qpq process,,,just go shoot it cause its guaranteed to shoot at least moa

if not send it back....so went out and shot it...only got bout 20 rounds down it and its coming in nicely for so few rounds....sweet!   Wash

Survival Yeppers it is melonite ....thing is ive got a lot of melonite barrels that i cleaned when new and they didnt produce all this black.. but all of those other were poly/5r type  barrels which dont have the serious grooves/lands like this one does    Wash

I'm a little late this time.  I don't know about AP's barrels, but I got Black Hole Weaponry to cut me a barrel out of 416R, and when I got it I had to clean the schitt outta it, as there was still thick, black machine oil from barrel extension to bore.  It took hours to clean it all out, and you can STILL see where some of the oil stained the face of the barrel where it meets the extension.  From the amount of black schitt I removed, I deduce the barrel wasn't test fired (could be wrong).  Maybe you just got a barrel straight off the line that didn't get a thorough cleaning before shipping?

The Melonite quench,  polish, quench processes involve quenching in melted salts over 1000 degrees F and is a common process used on hydraulic rams and cylinders. Polishing on gun barrels may mostly do the outside of the barrel. It would be interesting to know if the barrel maker sends out the turned and rifled barrels out to a heat treater shop.

The Melonite quench,  polish, quench processes involve quenching in melted salts over 1000 degrees F and is a common process used on hydraulic rams and cylinders. Polishing on gun barrels may mostly do the outside of the barrel. It would be interesting to know if the barrel maker sends out the turned and rifled barrels out to a heat treater shop.

It sure would.....most of my barrels are qpq but never had them as dirty as the BA barrel......Wash