• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

GLOCK and S&W M&P Pistols

imschur

Im not a brand guy so news like this doesnt rattle me like it does some folks but I have been reading quite a bit about how much market share S&W has been taking away from Glock with the M&P series pistols.  I can honestly say not only have I never fired an M&P but I have never even cared enough to handle one in the store. Ego's aside are these M&P's that good? They are sure getting good praise from those who test them on the LE level.

i had an mp 40 and it wasn't a bad shooting gun, except it had a mass trigger (supposedly set at ten pounds, measured at 13.4). also it shot one o'clock high, by 5 inches at 25 ft. i had sent it to the smith performance center to fixed ( tried to get the performance ctr mp job and the sighting issue) and was told the gun was fine… then told they couldn't work on it anyway because it was a mass compliant gun. i asked if i could get a ten lb trigger, and they said no, it was a mass gun. everything i asked, no it is a mass gun. i wasn't the only one to shoot it, all had they same sighting issue. i said f&*k it, traded it in for a glock 19. it has a 5 lb trigger, shoots 3" groups at 50 ft and runs like a top. so i found a glock 26 and bought that too. one thing i'd like to mention about the difference of take down. the glock is incredibly easy, the smith was much more difficult. my expirience may have been unique, but i will only buy a glock from here on out.oh yeah, not mass compliant, need to buy used.

The reason the M&P is harder to take down is because so many cops had ND's forgetting to unload before disassembly, that a lot of departments began to look for pistols that didn't require you to pull the trigger to disassemble. Why is it S&W's fault that MA requires the gun to be screwed up before you can buy it in MA.

i won't deny our shitty gun laws, but the service and way of reply that i got from them was one of being the small insignificant guy not buying into a large contract run. on top of that i have some friends who work there and they have told me personally that they are running four cnc's at a time with two temps doing qc. if it shoots it ships doesn't go over well for me, and i was dusted off on customer service, but like i said before, it could be an isolated incident

If you think most LE's receive really excellent firearms training you are in for a shock. Our local Sheriffs Academy gives two weeks of firearms training to people who have never fired a handgun, or any other firearm before, and then they are considered qualified to be LE's. Just remember, ammo purchases must be approved by accountants, the shooting instruction must be approved by lawyers. Scary, isn't it.

• 1 month later...

I am a fan of the M&P line of pistols. I have played with one of those mass compliant guns. the trigger is awful. I was surprised to learn that states had laws requiring min. trigger pull. I cannot compare to a glock as I have only shot a handful of them. One can say glocks are more reliable but that is only because they have been around longer. I look at the majority of trainers and they are using either M&P or Glock so from a reliability standpoint I think you are safe with either. The guys putting 10k plus rounds down range in poor conditions are going to see failures way before  I am.

I have an M&P 9mm and I like it.  I particularly like the beavertail since I am used to grabbing a gun high in my hand.  The Glocks, for me, are painful to shoot since I get pinched by the slide.  Could I change my hand positioning if all I had was a Glock - probably.  But why - I have a whole safe full of 1911's (and one M&P ;D).

My gunsmith did replace the trigger with some parts from Brownell's and it seriously helped the trigger.

Don