• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My First AR-10

It’s Good Friday. A really good Friday! Got an Easter Egg early. Got my AR-10!

It’s known as the ArmaLite Defensive Sporting Rifle 10, or ArmaLite DSR10, or ArmaLite DEF10 and in California as the ArmaLite SPR Mod 2A. But none of that is rollmarked anywhere on my rifle; instead AR-10A is stamped on both the lower and upper receiver. The “A” after AR-10 means that it’s designed to use the old 1950s ArmaLite AR-10/AR-10A style magazine that Eugene Stoner used way back then and again in the early 1990s when he was designing the Knight’s Armament SR-25.

(Funny thing about the SPR Mod 2A, California has “AR-10” on their banned list so you can’t go in a gun shop there and buy one but you can buy a slightly neutered version with the bullet button and neutered name. However, ArmaLite had some fun with that name, rumors are it stands for Special Purpose Rifle Model 2nd Amendment! Of course the name also borrows from the military 5.56mm SPR Mod 1.)

This is a nice rifle for the price, very well built for a low cost model. I’m impressed, they really priced this one to sell. It is my first factory built AR and I like almost everything about it. First, the lightweight 16” double lapped barrel is marked 7.62 NATO CR-MO  CL 1:11.25, so it’s chrome lined with an 11.25 twist. I’m glad it has the midlength gas system like many ArmaLite carbines and of course the evil (non-CA compliant) flash hider is installed. The upper and lower receivers are 7075-T6 hard anodized aluminum as you’d expect from any quality AR. The receivers fit snug with no slop and the black finish is very good. The rifle weighs in at 7.9 pounds with no sights or magazine, which is fairly light for an AR-10. But they didn’t scrimp on the BCG, that thing weighs 18 ounces and is mated to an H3 carbine buffer. The only thing that does slop around is the M4 buttstock, but they all do so that was the first thing to change out. Since the receiver extension is milspec diameter I grabbed my old Magpul ACS stock from the closet and it fits very snug, no slop. My other ARs are builds and I always use the milspec tube so was glad ArmaLite felt the same way. It would have bugged me to be stuck with a commercial diameter tube and not be able to easily swap stocks with my other ARs. (And have to buy a stock when I already had a perfectly good ACS.) The ACS adds 8 ounces right up against the shoulder which won’t hurt much, in fact it moves the center of balance toward the rear. The ACS also has a rubber pad that will help with recoil over the hard M4 stock. The ACS was a little much on a lightweight AR-15 but is about right on the AR-10. I think it’s found a home.

The trigger group is a standard AR-15 single stage trigger while more expensive ArmaLite ARs come with a two stage trigger.  I lucked out, the trigger is quite good for a milspec, some are terrible. It’s about 6-7 pounds and crisp, comparable to an ALG QMS trigger. I doubt all DEF10 triggers are that good but I’ll take it. I like that many lower receiver parts are standard AR-15 parts, along with the stock, pistol grip and handguards. Of course many parts must be larger due to the AR-10’s larger 7.62 NATO round. No sights come with the DEF10 so I bought an ArmaLite front sight and Magpul MBUS2 flip up rear sight. And I borrowed a red dot for now. The RDS kept its bottom 1/3 cowitness from another AR so this one has a good mechanical zero right now. I also threw on a cheap M4 sling for now. I’m getting an ArmaLite branded Raptor charging handle and a BCM pistol grip, I’ve been wanting to try them out and now have a good excuse.

Enough talk, now some pictures!

DSCN0283_zpspgrdry4k.jpg

DSCN0282a_zpsravr2emu.jpg

DSCN0286_zpscgzlvf9q.jpg

Edited by Quentin

Thanks, beantown! I love this rifle.

Yes, you did welcome me in my introduction thread. It was a few weeks ago so I'll paste in my reply to you...

"Ah, I really feel at home now! I was born and raised in NC. Then took Basic at Fort Bragg in 1966. After Vietnam I moved to Phoenix/Mesa, AZ. And now in Boise, ID."

I remember the intro now. I grew up in Southern California and I always wanted an ArmaLite AR-10. While in the Army I hated the 5.56 and M-16. I was a tank gunner and was spoiled once again by the .308 M240 machine gun. There's that darn .308 round again. A few years ago I bought a Bushmaster Carbon-15. Crap, back to a 5.56, but I still wanted that damn .308 AR-10. It's way more versatile than a 5.56 IMHO.  

When I found my DPMS LR-308 I couldn't say no to the price. I have no complaints, what so ever, with my Oracle. It's one accurate rifle, and got me back to a .308 on the cheap. And I love the dang thing right down to the Glacier hand guard. But, there is just something about owning the original, and some day I'll have me a real ArmaLite. <bangshead> Congrats again on your AR-10. Now go shoot the piss out of it! lol

Ordered my California Compliant ArmaLite Lower a few days back for my "Retro" classic AR10A2 build (I sure hope my rollmarks on my lower match yours as it will be nearly perfect (AR10A) and only thing missing will be the 2 after the A ... This build will be challenging as I will try to go about it as I have my Retro AR builds (XM16E1) (M16A1/603) (CAR 15) (M16A2/HBAR) ... trying to use original era parts & configuration ... Any help you guys give me on my build is greatly appreciated //  

Thanks guys! Yeah there's something special about the 7.62x51/.308! I've wanted one for decades but never got around to it till a couple years ago when I got an M1A Scout. Waited a LONG time! I qualified with the M14 but also liked the M16 when in Nam. I like the 5.56x45, it's so handy, so I built a few lightweight ARs. 

But I've wanted an AR-10, just couldn't commit to the funds until now. I looked at DPMS, S&W and PSA, anything that took the old ArmaLite waffle mags or SR-25. I anted PMAG compatibility so that ruled out RRA and ArmaLite until 2012 when ArmaLite introduced the A-Series. Then ArmaLite priced the DSR10 to sell and I couldn't ignore it any more. If that hadn't happened I probably would have built a PSA.

Like you say, beantown, there's just something about owning the original, though honestly we know today's ArmaLite isn't the old Fairchild ArmaLite. But with today's ArmaLite A-Series you have something very close to the streamlined AR-10A of 1959!

Gator, I hope you do find a lower marked AR-10A but I've heard that name is on the CA banned list. Such a shame these draconian laws get forced on us by useless idiots who don't have a red blood cell in their body. I'll be looking forward your build thread!

Gator, I admire you, building retro ARs! When I got into ARs (2008, when it was obvious Obummer was going to be elected and evil guns might be banned) I planned to build a near M16A1. But everything dried up in 2009 and I pounced on a S&W M&P-15 stripped lower that I lucked across. Then it took forever to find a parts kit and receiver extension kit/stock. Then I lucked into an ArmaLite M15 upper and had a rifle. Next, in 2010 I found a lightweight Daniel Defense upper and soon after a stripped ArmaLite M15 lower and swapped around to have a LW S&W and a complete M15. Never did get that retro going, never had the patience and luck - so I tip my hat to you, sir! I guess my retro is my M1A but even that is updated as a Scout model.

I would have loved building an AR-10 but honestly, this ArmaLite DSR10 is almost exactly what I would have put together myself and the price is very attractive. I hope ArmaLite is selling a bunch of them, they need to get a bigger share of this market. The 308 AR market is exploding these days - there are so many good choices out there.

2 hours ago, Gator Monroe said:

ArmaLite has orders/back orders for Rifles & Complete Uppers & Lowers in the tens of thousands ... 

That must be true. The DSR10 was backordered much of this year. Then Impact Guns, got a few in the Ogden store and I had them send one to the Boise location. Good thing I did that promptly because they're gone now and backordered again most places online.

Quentin, congratulations on your purchase. I am so happy with my Armalites they were the first, and probably the last 308ARs I will ever buy. I have the "B" model because that is all they had when I got my first one, and I got a heck of a deal on my second, but I like the B Gen II mag, so its no big deal. Look forward to your range reports. I will be surprised if you have any issues, they usually come from the factory ready to do some work.

Thanks GRA and Sisco. I agree, nothing wrong with the B Series AR-10 and the Gen II mag seems to be well liked. I just entered the game later so had the opportunity to buy the A Series. Either way, the rifle itself is the same except for magwell - well the receivers and bolt hold open catch and mag catch.

So far the only issue (and I discovered it before I bought the rifle) was the ejection port cover wouldn't close. The rifle looked great otherwise so I accepted such a minor annoyance. I called CS and got ahold of Tim Rooker (who I've contacted several times over the years since I also have an M15 carbine). Tim said push the spring forward and son of a gun it worked! Dust cover snaps shut now. I'm still trying to figure out how it was blocking the door from closing!

One other thing is a bit confusing - my serial number is within 14 of a DSR10 tested in the Special Weapons for Police and Military, Jan/Feb 2015 magazine, the testing actually happened Dec 15, 2014. Tim said my rifle was shipped out 2/2016 and the lower receiver is dated Sep 2015 but I think he meant Sep 2014 considering the serial number of the tested rifle that existed Dec 2014. No big deal, just interesting to see serial numbers so close in a rifle that existed well over a year ago and mine which was assembled last month. (I hope they sold more than 14 in a year!) Tim said serial numbers aren't necessarily sequenced numerically, they just grab lowers and assemble rifles. That held true with my M15 stripped lower that I bought in 2010, Tim looked up the number and the lower was made in 2007.

One other thing, complete rifles used to have the eagle proof mark on the magwell but mine did not. Tim said they stopped doing that a year ago.

Anyway, it's a nicely made rifle and I know I'm going to love it. I hope to take her for a spin next week.

Thanks, guys!

I got the ArmaLite/Raptor charging handle and BCM pistol grip so I'll update with more pictures. I love the charging handle, lukewarm to the pistol grip right now. However, it does feel better than the old A1 grip. I'm glad BCM includes a flat head screw to mount it. I've gone to the flat head screw in all my AR builds but this ArmaLite came with the 3/16" hex head screw - now it's upgraded to my standard. I like the look of the hex head better but the flat head makes more sense, in an emergency it's a lot easier to find a screwdriver than hex wrench. Yeah, I got a hat, too!

DSCN0305_zpsoj1jpo49.jpg

DSCN0306_zpsga17gyf6.jpg

DSCN0307_zpsq6mrhdt5.jpg

• 6 years later...