• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie to Ar-10

Guest tralfaz64

Guest tralfaz64

I have a NIB AR-10A DEF. I want to outfit it for personal self defense. Scopes, lighting, tripod, rail systems, etc. I have been a big game hunter for 45 years. Just new to the Ar platform.Looking for manufacturers and products for this Armalite. 

If you want to attach a bipod, light, etc my suggestion would be to first change out the handguard...Armalite makes a quad-rail for your gun that would be very easy to swap with your existing handguard: https://armalite.com/shop/alostyr-2-piece-mil-std-1913-mid-length-handguard-assembly/

As far as the other stuff goes there are tons of options in all price ranges. If your set-up is meant for personal defense as you mentioned I would probably go with a red dot scope or a low power variable optic, like 1-4 or 1-6. I have little to offer on lights other than my preference being the Scout light by Surefire...and you really can't go wrong with a Harris bipod. Not sure what your willing to spend on this stuff but my last suggestion would be to stay away from cheap crap, but also don't feel the need to buy overly expensive stuff either...just good, solid, well-priced products from companies that have a good reputation and stand by whatever they make.

Best of luck to you!

Than You very much.I am a prudent shopper. I research the reviews, technical data, etc . Are my options for accessories integral to the AR-10A Def  limited to Armalite? I am looking at many aftermarket handguards, etc. I understand that whatever I add to the picatinny rails  is another story. 

Trying to decide on a flash suppressor, muzzle brake, linear reduction device, etc. Any recommendations?

Greatly appreciate your input.

Remember; Excursions squash Prius's!

There are other aftermarket companies that make handguards for the AR-10...but I'm not sure exactly who does and doesn't...I'm pretty sure Midwest Industries and SLR Rifleworks do but I'm sure there are others of course. I think the barrel nut is specific for the AR10 (vs DPMS) so you'd need to make sure you're buying the right one as not any 308AR handguard will work (as far as I know). Armalite also makes some free float handguards as well.

As far as muzzle devices I think that will be a personal preference of yours...I use a VG6 Gamma 762, and a Patriot Ordnance 3-port muzzle brake, both of which work very well. Read this review...they tested a bunch of .30 cal brakes to see which ones diminished recoil the best: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/

Thank you very much. I noticed on the test that the Gamma or the Patriot Ordnance weren't tested. I guess there are too many options. I do like the results for the Precision Armament EFAB Hybrid, Brake, Compensator and flash hider.

It's all just more research and work. I fear I may have the disease of buying enough parts to make another rifle.

LOL...yes, I think most of us are afflicted with that disease. For whatever reason they didn't test the VG6 Gamma or the POF brake in that test, but the same guy did two other tests with 5.56 compensators/brakes and the VG6 & POF were tested in those, both of which did very well with 5.56. I am very pleased with both, and really cannot notice any difference between the two when shooting.

Best of luck to you! And welcome to the forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Before buying anything, take the rifle out and put a fair number of rounds through it. After that some likes and dislikes about handguards, sights, etc. will probably jump out at you.Make a list what you would like to see improved. That will point you to what to change first, and what you want to keep.

I am planning on running 200 - 300 rounds through it. Is that appropriate? I will be at the range for hours letting the unit to cool down and of course lunch. 

Being a machinist, My biggest concern is "FIT". On an Armalite is this a concern? Should I lap appropriate fittings?

I am a long range shooter. I will be zeroing it in at 300 yds. I know this a carbine model (AR-10A DEF). So asking 300-500 yds maybe a stretch.

Remember: Love dies if you shot it! LOL!

WIth an Armalite, not at all. You should be good out to 600 yards with a 16" barrel, at least. I have two Armalites and the fit on both is outstanding. One is a 16" AR10T carbine, now discontinued, and the other is the standard 20" barrel rifle. Find out the ammo your rifle likes to digest. I am guessing something in the 168 grain range will work well to start.

200-300 rounds should be a walk in the park. Unless QC has slipped a bunch I doubt fit should be an issue. Might need some extra lube till it lapps itself in but other than that you shouldn't need to worry about anything. 3-500 yards should be just fine. If you start getting past 800 then the velocity loss of the 16 incher might show up as instability of the bullet as it drops out of supersonic but that is dependent on the bullet you are using.

That sounds great, that's why I went with Armalite.

Charging handles: Looking at changing, is that only for comfort?

Forward assist: Is this necessary?

Bolt stops: do they wear out frequently?

I think I am out of question and money! I greatly appreciate your input.

3,000+ rounds through my AR-10 and I've never taken it completely apart, never found a good reason. So far the ejector and extractor springs are all I've replaced for wear.

For a charging handle upgrade I would have to recommend the Mech Armor, you can get a combo deal with a great single stage trigger for a few bucks more than the handle alone; http://mechdefense.com/products/308ar-com-group-buy-trigger-sale

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/83-mech-armor-defense-systems/

The FA question is a personal preference thing, they really shouldn't be used to jam the bolt closed when it doesn't want to close on its own but can be real handy if you want to ride the charging handle forward for a real quiet way to chamber a round. 

I've never seen a broken bolt stop but it is one of the parts I keep around just in case.

3 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

But they don't lay around, do they?  They slowly magnatize and attract to one another and, before you know, there's a new rifle in the safe.

What?  Goes from laying around to getting laid?  Bolt winks at the bolt carrier, there is giggling in the parts drawer, and before you know it, there's another complete upper.......

13 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

But they don't lay around, do they?  They slowly magnatize and attract to one another and, before you know, there's a new rifle in the safe.

Yep. All part of the circle. They start as parts.....turn into another rifle....for which you need to buy more spare parts to have on hand.

And so on....and so on....an so on.

Dammit......time for another safe......again.