• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS 308 build

JJ109

Hey guys im new here im sure a lot of my questions have been already asked. Building a 18" 308 dpms med range set up. I have broken down my AR15 and put back together many of times. Never built one. Im going to use BHW 308 1/11 barrel . What length gas system and how does that effect any other of my choices???? I only have an upper receiver. 

18" will usually have a Mid length or Rifle length Gas system , I have Rifle length on all three of my 308AR builds , 16",18" & 20" . Plenty of gas power with the Rifle length system with the 308 cartridge , makes a little softer shooter . You can use the Mid lengths system & an adj. Gas Block , they are popular with a lot of people . I don't use them , I like a lot of Gas & there are many ways to reduce recoil impulse with out reducing Gas signature , which you could have issues with different types of ammo if set up for one brand or type .

With different Gas systems , the Hand Guard length will determine if you want to cover the Gas Block , if thats what you want . A 12" HG will completely cover the Gas Block of a Mid Length , but with a rifle length Gas system , the Gas Block will be out in front of it  & would need a 13.5" HG length to cover it , Your choice .

8 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

Thanks survialshop. This is the answer i was looking for. Also do you know if the gas system is affected by the buffer tube and spring selection ???? 

8 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

Thanks survialshop. This is the answer i was looking for. Also do you know if the gas system is affected by the buffer tube and spring selection ???? 

Yes, The gas system is independant of the buffer and buffer spring, but the action of the BCG is determined by the gas system and buffer system working together  to feed, extract, and eject. Check the Videos at David Tubb website Videos.

7 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

I hope S.Shop won't get too angry for me replying to your question

In My Humble Opinion.

Yes, The gas system is independant of the buffer and buffer spring, but the action of the BCG is determined by the gas system and buffer system working together  to feed, extract, and eject. Check the Videos at David Tubb website Videos.

17 hours ago, JJ109 said:

I appreciate the info and help. Like i said i disassembled and reassembled but not built from scratch . 

You tube is a God sent, I was nervous too but there are videos for everything. Also places like midway USA and brownells also has great clips linked to certain parts

3 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

And to encourage spending more money. Bunch of enablers  :argue:  Grrrr.

I hear Ya  man. I cant order any more parts or anything cause if my old lady finds out ill be sleeping in the dog house. Lol

Edited by JJ109