• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Optics/Scopes for DPMS 308

Thanks for all the replies guys, man this thing has been a mother every step to the way on everything. 

So my nephew came by tonight  while I was fricking around with the weapon. So we mounted the scope on the 1st rail of the Troy rail JFF. It looked good and level both ways, but when we bore sited it,  I ran out of elevation before center. So that's a no go, but the cap fit perfectly

Put is back on just the DPMS rail leveled and were able to bore site like you would expect. Man...

I have noticed in the past that the troy rail sits noticeably higher than the DPMS rail. and also a large gap between the lower/upper receiver (for lack of proper terminology) as well as the barrel doesn't (I presume it should) sit squarely in the center of the free floating rail. Or am I being anal?

Hit me up with thoughts dudes... I have to figure this out while under the shops warranty. I am sure they will honor any problem I have for at least 6- 8 months. Any way the picts.

IMG_30551.jpg

IMG_30571.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Looks like it's a DPMS HIGH freefloat rail on a DPMS LOW upper. General rule is to not bridge the upper/handguard gap with your rings even if it lines up. Definitely not going to work out with that sort of mismatch. 

Ok you totally lost me there me dude. Please explain to me your comment of : Looks like it's a DPMS HIGH free float rail on a DPMS LOW upper I think I know what your referring to , but methinks its more than that. like total alignment between the lower, barrel(upper and the mounted Troy rail., Just seems outta line to me. Maybe not as I am not even close to a Novice when it comes to weapons.

Edited by DD_Raptor

There are two different height top rails found on DPMS uppers. The old style (DPMS HIGH) is about 1/16" taller than the new style (DPMS LOW). troy makes handguards in both high and low. Those pics look like they stuck the high version troy rail on your low version upper, but there may be more going on there we can't see.  I'm assuming this is an actual DPMS brand upper? 

5 hours ago, DD_Raptor said:

Tell me how to tell you it's an actual DPMS brand upper then I'll let you know. I do agree that a older style (which I think I may have) is mismatched and needs a lower troy rail.

Again I am just assuming by what I see and what people say.

Not "brand" but style is what blue is referring to.  DPMS has by far the largest aftermarket support and cloning of any of the 308AR patterns.  DPMS upper receivers have come in two regular heights (aside from their "scope ready" very much raised receiver), "high" and "low".

Your upper receiver is a "low" height and the forearm was made for a "high" height.

Long story short, they are incompatible so far as lining up the rail goes.

The 3rd post on this thread explains it well:  

Actually plane...I did mean actual DPMS factory brand. I only ask because if it's an off brand upper, it may not exactly match DPMS HIGH or LOW. I seem to remember someone here having some boutique brand upper that was right between the two and had all kinds of issues getting a hanguard to line up. That other new member said he was buying a local built rifle that had proprietary height rail. They are rare, but they are out there. Measure to be sure before you spend more money on parts that might not fit right ( or if it's still under warranty, make them figure it out for you)

10 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Actually plane...I did mean actual DPMS factory brand. I only ask because if it's an off brand upper, it may not exactly match DPMS HIGH or LOW. I seem to remember someone here having some boutique brand upper that was right between the two and had all kinds of issues getting a hanguard to line up. That other new member said he was buying a local built rifle that had proprietary height rail. They are rare, but they are out there. Measure to be sure before you spend more money on parts that might not fit right ( or if it's still under warranty, make them figure it out for you)

Yup I know what your talking about there was a gap and the rail height on the hand gaurd didn't match the upper

Ok guys I am thinking I have the new Upper that is lower.  The troy rail I have is P/N MRF-308 -HP-1. I think the LP version MRF-308 is what I need. What do you guys think?

With the calipers I measured .150 which is more than 1/8" but less than 3/16".

recieverheight 2.jpg

recieverheight.jpg

troyrail-sn7.jpg

Took the rifel in today for the pawn shop dude to look at the rail. All he said was yelp it a HP on a LP DPMS. Picked up a new LP rail and installed. I went hope a happy camper.

and the scope and cover fits perfectly. I think I'm finally good to go...

Again you guys are really knowledgeable and I really appreciate all of you for your input.

newtroy.jpg

newlptroyrail.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

DD, what specific model scope is it? There are so many Vortex scopes available. I need a new one for my LR308B

My current hunting/target needs are 100 to 150 yards, but I will be doing some "Long Bow" shooting, out to 500 yards.

Sorry he's no longer a member here. I'm sure someone will chime in tho 

Well, since you offered your Vortex to him, do you still have it and is it suitable for my needs Shepp?

I have a Simmons, Pro Hunter on it now (30 years old) and something happened internally between shooting, setting the rifle down against a wall barrel up and shooting again.

Merely tapping with my hand on the top of it, knocked some sense right back into it. I now have NO confidence in it.