• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Optics/Scopes for DPMS 308

Hey peeps gotta a question for ya... I want a good scope with magnification (getting hard to see these days) and a red/greed laser you can actually see.

I currently have a Truglo 8230 three RGB.  I love it but at 1x @ 25 yds I have to squint to even get closely focused. I know I'm blind.

I also have a Sight Mark LoPro Combo SM25004 which I can never find the green dot. LOL Again I guess I am blind.

I want to change these out to something sort of like that but better. I don't know much about this sorta thing and want to lear to have the best shooting experience a person can have.

Other thoughts to come..

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DD    these work pretty good for me                   http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

Wash

got one of these..they are pretty nice for old eyes at 100 yds or less for paper                        http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope-with-tmcq-moa-reticle 

Edited by washguy

Bajilions of scope options. You really need to do some soul  searching to narrow it down. Price, mag range, reticle. Looking for hunting? Target? Tacticool? 

Far as lasers I never got into them, but cheap is cheap.  Spend some money or its just a waste. My experience with viridian green lasers is they are really bright. Decent daylight visibility at short range. Go forever at night. Also had an a LDI OTAL that was amazing at night, but the red isn't very visible during the day.

Check out natchez shooting sports. They sell refurbished and factory blem scopes at great prices. I think they have free shipping over $100 for the weekend. You can get pretty specific with your search parameters. I'd advise you to up your budget a little. That airsoft quality stuff you linked probably won't survive long on a 308, but you can find something decent from a reputable company in the $250 range. 

Also, things like ilum reticle and piggyback red dots add cost, so if a scope has all that crap and still costs $150....you can be sure it's junk. Keep it simple in that price range

Edited by blue109

I have a UTG scope on my .308 (a 6-24x56 30mm) that has been absolutely solid and held zero through one hunting season and several hundred rounds on the range.  I also have a 2-16x44 30mm UTG on my 5.56 that has also been a performer.  They don't have quite as bright glass as on the Vortex PST 6-24x50 that I have on the 30.06, but are very close.  Your results may vary.

Not a 7.62 rifle. But here's one of my setups. A Daniels MK18 SBR (5.56) with a Viridian green laser/light combo with an Eotech (yeah, I know they're out of favor now) 553. This is a great "kickin in the door" type of rifle. And it still does pretty well at distance, for a short barreled weapon.

Just some toys.JPG

On 6/18/2016 at 9:36 PM, DD_Raptor said:

Hey peeps gotta a question for ya... I want a good scope with magnification (getting hard to see these days) and a red/greed laser you can actually see.

I currently have a Truglo 8230 three RGB.  I love it but at 1x @ 25 yds I have to squint to even get closely focused. I know I'm blind.

I also have a Sight Mark LoPro Combo SM25004 which I can never find the green dot. LOL Again I guess I am blind.

I want to change these out to something sort of like that but better. I don't know much about this sorta thing and want to lear to have the best shooting experience a person can have.

Other thoughts to come..

Thanks in advance!

I have this one on my DPMS .308 Oracle, good glass for the price

Bushnell AR Optics Rifle Scope 4.5-18x 40mm Side Focus

You say you have old eye's , good glass will make the pleasure of shooting , much more pleasurable .  Inexpensive Scopes are just that , they work ,but Glass clarity with old eye's makes a big difference .

I'm a Nikon fan also & also Burris , I'm kinda cheap also , Nikon & Burris are lower middle of the road ,but they have great Glass on them .

Sorry for that double post there was using the phone. NE way I've been doing a little research on this and still undecided.

One question I have now, is could a peep use like a magnifier behind the Trugol for magnification? Could I get some experienced pros/cons?

Could someone tell me if I got say a 3-12x44 what would be the max range in yards?

Thanks for posting that offer Shepp. I am considering it as an option, but I am liking the Leapers UGT as a entry level scope for me. (not saying yours isn't an excellent buy)

I am liking what I am reading about the Vortex brand

Edited by DD_Raptor

52 minutes ago, DD_Raptor said:

Sorry for that double post there was using the phone. NE way I've been doing a little research on this and still undecided.

One question I have now, is could a peep use like a magnifier behind the Trugol for magnification? Could I get some experienced pros/cons?

Could someone tell me if I got say a 3-12x44 what would be the max range in yards?

Thanks for posting that offer Shepp. I am considering it as an option, but I am liking the Leapers UGT as a entry level scope for me. (not saying yours isn't an excellent buy)

+1 for Vortex...I have several and am  very pleased with them.

As far as max yardage for the 3-12x44 I would imagine the biggest variable would be what you're trying to hit...I don't feel there is a "max yardage" for any given magnification...depends on your shooting ability, your gun, and of course your target and what you're looking to do. You mentioned target shooting 100-150 yards...that scope is plenty for that. I was at a range where they had torso-sized steel at 1,000 yards and with a 10x scope we had no problem hitting it consistently. Would I have tried those same shots on a deer or elk? No.

1 hour ago, DD_Raptor said:

Just putting it out there I don't need to part with it but it's just sitting in the box. IMO the vortex is a Cadillac compared to UGT, I've used a few of their products and I shoulda just waited till I had the money to buy a quality product

On June 20, 2016 at 4:52 PM, survivalshop said:

You say you have old eye's , good glass will make the pleasure of shooting , much more pleasurable .  Inexpensive Scopes are just that , they work ,but Glass clarity with old eye's makes a big difference .

I'm a Nikon fan also & also Burris , I'm kinda cheap also , Nikon & Burris are lower middle of the road ,but they have great Glass on them .

I am with you. Both are great scopes for the price. One each on my 308 ARs

https://www.natchezss.com/optics/rifle-scopes.html#brand=200798,201072&dir=asc&istock=202997&op_condition=19461,19491,19481&order=position&price=10,25.00,9,25.00,8,25.00,7,25.00,6,25.00,5,25.00,4,25.00

Try that link. Should be a quick natchez search of Burris and Nikon refurbs and blems up to $250. Pretty sure I'd prefer anything on that page to the UTG you posted.

Thanks for all the replies peeps, your input is very helpful.

Here is what I did JFF.  I ordered the UTG+3-12X44+30mm scope from Amazon for a look see because they are real good on returns.

I received it today and when un-boxing , you could clearly tell it was previously unboxed item, returned and then sold as a new item. :evil:

Looked the scope over, played with it a bit and all looked serviceable but I just can't stand the thought of it being previously unboxed and sold as new. So I sent it back with full refund. I am not saying UTG is bad or any thing like that and had it had been new unboxed previously, I'd probably would have kept it to give it a whirl. I mean it looked good to me anyways,

A pic for you. It said pull this tab to remove the protective film. Well there was no such animal to pull.

utgpackage.jpg