• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1187 help

shepp

I took my 1187 to shoot sporting clays the other day and the loads are to light to make it cycle (think it's because the barrel it ported) and trap loads are light. Anyways does anyone know if I can get a lighter spring or somthing so it will cycle? I'd like to shoot clays with it to get ready for my duck hunt, and it's pretty damn fun!!

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

my 1100 shoots trap loads great, baby soft recoil.  why did you mess with the gas porting?

His Barrel is ported & that will not help cycle light loads .

In what shape is the Gas seal system in , is it old or dirty , gas ports for gas operating system clear & clean ?

Is the Shotgun new ?

I put a extra heavy recoil spring from Wolf ,to shoot slugs in my 1100 .

Edited by survivalshop

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

His Barrel is ported & that will not help cycle light loads .

In what shape is the Gas seal system in , is it old or dirty , gas ports for gas operating system clear & clean ?

Is the Shotgun new ?

I put a extra heavy recoil spring from Wolf ,to shoot slugs in my 1100 .

Not sure on its age, I bought it used. It was filthy when I got it, looked like the rear end outta 65 Chevy, took it all apart and cleaned it with spray cleaner. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

You should notice a big difference in how that O-ring fits on the Tube .

Just in case you have a question with the instructions that come with the Kit . I have found some people will still install the Piston backwards . Not that you would , but Videos are so cool.

Videos are always good! I've watched that one a few times just to get the jist, thank you. I'm definitely a visual learner 

On August 1, 2016 at 7:25 AM, survivalshop said:

You should notice a big difference in how that O-ring fits on the Tube .

Just in case you have a question with the instructions that come with the Kit . I have found some people will still install the Piston backwards . Not that you would , but Videos are so cool.

Not so much the o ring feeling a difference as I did with the piston assembly, it was a lot more snug than the old one. Going to try to get out to my buddies farm tomorrow and run some rounds thru it to see if that helped. If it does awesome, if not I still think it was 40$ well spent. The old piston assembly is fouled bad and like in the video that o ring needs to be changed from time to time

If the O-Ring is too loose , it will pass gas :laffs: & not let the piston function properly. The badly fouled Piston will not help things , but it takes a lot for the piston to fail , if its real loose on the Magazine tube ,it will , but the O-Ring is the normal wear component & causes the most issues . I have a 10 pak of O-Rings that still have some in it , I used to hand them out like candy at Hunt camp . 

19 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

If the O-Ring is too loose , it will pass gas :laffs: & not let the piston function properly. The badly fouled Piston will not help things , but it takes a lot for the piston to fail , if its real loose on the Magazine tube ,it will , but the O-Ring is the normal wear component & causes the most issues . I have a 10 pak of O-Rings that still have some in it , I used to hand them out like candy at Hunt camp . 

I ordered two extras to keep in my box o spare parts. Thanks for your input, I'll follow up once I get a chance to bang off a few rounds

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Good deal , I suck at shooting at Clays , but man ,I had no problem blasting Pheasants.      Grouse , now thats another story :laffs: 

Hoping to do a lot more duck and goose hunting this fall. Pheasants are bad I suck at shooting grouse, I'm jumpy so they always scare the shit outta me. When I booked my trip to Ak this January I told my buddy I wanted to shot sporting clays to get my Aimer on

Back in the day we hunted grouse and rabbits with slingshots on logging roads! Pretty stupid birds in my area. 

Phesant is a whole different battle.. I say battle because the birds  are trucked in from earstern Wa. and there is a hunter every 20 yds! 

Last i did phesant the tag was 90$ for 8 bird limit and we were skunked with a dog for the two week season! I got bird shot at me  more in that two weeks than i have in 6 years of ducking.  Ive been peppered twice in the last two years of duck season! Granted over 100yds but when you get the shot you take it! Im finding the younger generation needs more training when it comes to birds. 

I cant wait to duck it again! Maybe a goose too!!