• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which ADM Barrel?

Flabbergasted

I'm going to start my first AR 308 build in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide on which American Defense barrel (made by Criterion) to go with. I've narrowed it down to a 16" stainless steel barrel nitride finish with rifle length gas. The only thing I'm debating is whether to go with the heavy profile or hybrid contour. The heavy weighs 3 lbs 1 oz and the hybrid weighs 2 lbs 6 oz. Would the heavy barrel be too damn heavy? Or would it be fine? I'm leaning heavy, but I don't have experience shooting an AR 308 with that type of barrel. I know the SR25 EMC has a heavy profile barrel but it has dimples to lighten it up.

Link to ADM

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1232/

I mostly plan on shooting steel targets at longer ranges, but in the future I will do a little hunting with it. I want it to be a multipurpose gun.

I'm kind of leaning towards the heavy profile barrel just because it will be more accurate when the barrel starts to heat up, at least in theory. However, I don't have experience shooting a heavy barrel or hybrid contour barrel in 308 so I don't know how well the hybrid barrel will do once it heats up. I think I might be over thinking this, but if I do go with the heavy barrel I'm not sure it it will feel too heavy.

I have an early Kreiger Criterion Barrel from Futon Armory & its S/S HB with a rifle length gas system , but my Gas Block is 0.936" so its got to heavier then the ones from ADM , if I were to get another on in 16" I would go with the Hybrid , every ounce makes a difference in these 308AR's .

Mine shoots very well , but as said its a much different barrel . I have an 18" Hybrid that's Nitrated I got last year from Criterion & it is 1/2 MOA if I do my part with hand loads . I like their Barrels , I have a 20"HB from Fulton , Kreiger Criterion also .

Edited by survivalshop

19 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

I have an early Kreiger Criterion Barrel from Futon Armory & its S/S HB with a rifle length gas system , but my Gas Block is 0.936" so its got to heavier then the ones from ADM , if I were to get another on in 16" I would go with the Hybrid , every ounce makes a difference in these 308AR's .

Mine shoots very well , but as said its a much different barrel . I have an 18" Hybrid that's Nitrated I got last year from Criterion & it is 1/2 MOA if I do my part with hand loads . I like their Barrels , I have a 20"HB from Fulton , Kreiger Criterion also .

How does the 18" hybrid shoot when it gets a little hot? Is it still accurate?

I plan on saving ounces every where else on the build, even it I don't go with the heavy barrel. I can imagine though that the gun could get heavy real quick.

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

I havnt had a chance to do any accuracy work on my 16" hybrid...but it's not light by any means. I certainly wouldn't want the heavy on a gun I was going to carry.

I'm interested to know how it does.

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

And the Barrel is where most of the weight is . 

The 18" is still a strong profile & in my testing shot well , hot or cold . 

Thanks, good to know.

1 hour ago, washguy said:

Flab    heres some more choices..    http://www.jsesurplus.com/308.aspx                                     if you want heavy and accurate go find you a DPMS SASS  barrel      I had a SASS once    Wash

Thanks for the link! I might go with a Mega Arms barrel, I've heard good things about them.

The Hybrid contour design was introduced as a good general purpose option. Unless you're planning on running a half dozen magazine dumps and then need to shoot .5 MOA groups at extended ranges, it should have enough material thickness to keep your groups pretty tight. I've been running a few different Hybrid contour barrels on my personal builds, and have noticed no significant change in group size after a couple magazines emptied with a sustained rate of fire.

Feel free to shoot me an email at contact@criterionbarrels.com if you have any other questions. I'd be more than happy to help answer them!

-Josh