• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Material Differences?

bubbas4570

I am trying to figure out if there is a big enough difference between two kinds of barrels to warrant a $100 price difference between two uppers from the same company----Palmetto State.

One is a melonite treated 4150V barrel and the other is a Chrome Moly Vanadium HPT/MPT made by FN.  Both have the same profiles and gas systems.

Opinions, please?

As said the FN Barrel is most likely a Hammer forged & should give better accuracy over the life of the Barrel . The Nitrated Barrels have really not been around long enough to make any kind of a statement one way or the other . My experience so far is that treatment on a Stainless Steel Barrel & it shot great ( Criterion ) & was easy to clean & seemed not to foul as much as a std S/S Barrel . 
 I have a 16" Mid , piston system with a Nitrated only Barrel , but because of some foulass Hurricane that came by here , I have not even had a chance to shoot her yet . Looking like Tuesday at the earliest now .

On 9/3/2016 at 7:40 AM, bubbas4570 said:

One is a melonite treated 4150V barrel and the other is a Chrome Moly Vanadium HPT/MPT made by FN.  Both have the same profiles and gas systems.

Opinions, please?

That's the biggest chunk of the price difference, right there.  High Pressure Tested barrel, that was Magnetic Partical Inspected afterwards.  That's a good barrel.