• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope for AR-338 Federal

darb

Well I have started gathering parts, all that is left, the barrel and scope. So anybody have any experience with this Cal?      Budget= 3-700.00, distance shooting 50-300 yards. Was thinking magnification range= 2-10 or 3-12

Edited by darb
additional info

Comfortable with Mils for ranging?  I plan on one of these scopes for my 338 Fed, and I've got the same one with a different reticle on a .308 Win Rem 700:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-414x44-mil-mil-ffp-scope/p/pa4-14xffp/

Here's another mil-grid reticle setup, as well - I'm leaning towards this one, over the standard mil-dot one listed above:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-414x44mm-riflescope-rgrid-reticle/p/pa4-14xffp-r-grid/

I'd recommend the ACSS reticle, but the ranges (BDC hashes) will be off for the .338 Fed round.

I didn't think of the mil mil ffp. I have two of those on AR-15s. Here are some of my others,1 Bushnell 3200 6x24 , 2 sightron III 6x24's,  1 weaver super slam euro 4x20, 1 nikkon 223 600bdc. I am thinking less magnifaction with wider field of view on this build, but sometimes thinking is not my stronger suit.Thanks for the reply.

58 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

What do you plan on using this rifle or Caliber for ?   If its hunting , 50-300 yards , any old Duplex or BDC recitals would work .

Mainly hunting but some range work. I have not thought much about reticles. Most my other scopes are Mil-dot, but you are right in regards to hunting. My eyes like the rest of me are getting old, so some magnification is in order

I like a lot of magnification myself , basically the 338 fed has ballistics of a 30'06 , so a 3x9x what ever, should work fine .  

I have a couple of Burris scopes that have their Ballistic Plex reticle  & I really like their E1 reticle , it also has side markings for windage or moving game . Something to look at , as with the others mentioned here. 

I like a lot of magnification myself , basically the 338 fed has ballistics of a 30'06 , so a 3x9x what ever, should work fine .  

I have a couple of Burris scopes that have their Ballistic Plex reticle  & I really like their E1 reticle , it also has side markings for windage or moving game . Something to look at , as with the others mentioned here. 

On 9/20/2016 at 9:31 PM, shepp said:

Suppose I shoulda read the title, I assumed you were going .308

On 9/21/2016 at 3:13 PM, survivalshop said:

Have one of those on my AR10T. Really like it.