• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Remington R-25

captain23steve

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and gas guns. This forum seems to have a great wealth of knowledge and could help with some questions. As the title says, I have a Remington R-25 in .308 Winchester, the best I can get this rifle to shoot is 1.5" after installing a Geissele SSA-E trigger. I have shot various factory ammunition(no cheep stuff) and handloads, but it still is a1.5" gun. This rifle will be used for hunting so I want to keep as light as possible. I like shooting a 165 grain bullet out of a 20" barrel for hunting. My next step will be replacing the barrel. This is where I need some guidance. I have looked at Criterion, Black Hole, and X-Caiber. Anyone with experience with barrels, I would like to hear about them. Next question is the gas block, set screw vs clamp type, pros and cons. Don't know if it is doable with this platform, but would like to get .5" groups at 100 yards. Thanks for any help you may have.

Edited by captain23steve

Also A guy that I used to hunt with shoots an r25 using Winchester 150 grain PowerPoint, they are a lead tipped projectile (which I've read some guys on here say they don't like in the ar platform or you shouldn't use, I've never had an issue). Anyways he was never looking for super tight groups we sighted in every year off the tail gate or folding table and figured a saucer plate was good enough. 

Criterion is good and josh is pretty active here, stay away from X-cal

11 minutes ago, captain23steve said:

Can you elaborate further about the issues of X-Caliber. Personal experience or know someone?

A member @jtallen83 had a gas problem with his turns out the gas port in the barrel was to small. Easy fix, but their reps blamed it on everything but the barrel, other members helped him trace it to the port and what to drill it to. The rep even joined the forum and still wouldn't except it was the barrel. Jt asked the rep what size the gas port should be and he acted as if it was triple classified info. I told a friend of mine in the industry that and he lol'd a lot. Anyways the members here got JT going, but X-cal showed that they're a sub par company......

X-Caliber showed us with their posts here that they don't have a great deal of knowledge about DI guns. They are a custom maker with good quality barrels but you would need to specify exactly what you want down to the gas port size, they seem to be focused on bolt guns. I did buy early when they were just getting started and an unusual configuration so they may have the kinks worked out now but they have also raised the price a good bit since I purchased.

35 minutes ago, captain23steve said:

Thanks. After you fixed the gas port, how did it shoot?

No issues, shoots whatever I put in it. Accuracy could be better, it does best if I don't heat it up, strings a bit when I shoot at a rapid pace but I can still get a pretty regular 1 MOA 5 round group with FGMM 175 grain.

Some basic questions :

-Are you sure the Scope & mounts are tight & secure ?

-What scope & mount are you using ?

-If you grab the Barrel in one hand & the Handguard in the other , is there any play between the two . reason I'm asking is because I have found loose barrel nuts on some rifles & that was the cause of poor grouping .

- Whats the round count on this barrel ?

Most DPMS Barrels shoot very well , but you could have got a bad Chamber or Barrel . You have a good Trigger , so that part of the DPMS is eliminated :thumbup:

The scope mount is tight and secure. It is a Leupold Mark 2 integrated mounting system. The scope is a Swarovski Z-3 4x12x50. The barrel nut is torqued to 70 ft.lbs. Less than 200 rounds down the pipe. The rifle shoots consistent, nothing wrong with it, but when you put a bore scope in it, its quite scary. Bought the rifle new, and I couldn't get it to group at all, put the bore scope down it, and the barrel was pitted and in rough condition. I have other factory rifles that are 20 years old that have better barrels. I sent the rifle back to Remington, and they replaced the whole rifle. Received the new rifle, and the barrel on the replacement is pitted also, wonder what happened to quality control, but it does shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I'm wanting to see the true potential of the rifle with a good barrel. If your wondering how I know the barrel nut is at 70 ft. lbs., its because I disassembled it to cerikote it, the camo finish flaked off easily.

Edited by captain23steve

CaptainSteve         Criterion and Faxon...cant go wrong...and Rainier Arms has sub moa barrel guarantees.....   my buddy had a rainier select that wouldnt group...sent it back...they promptly sent a new barrel....we pulled our hair out trying to get it to group....dont waste a whole lotta time and ammo...sometimes you get a lemon....and I like screwdown vs clamp on gas blocks      Wash

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined.aspx  

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-match-308-barrel-18

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-308-barrel-16

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-medium-tapered-308-win-mid-length-416-r-stainless-qpq/

Edited by washguy

28 minutes ago, captain23steve said:

The scope mount is tight and secure. It is a Leupold Mark 2 integrated mounting system. The scope is a Swarovski Z-3 4x12x50. The barrel nut is torqued to 70 ft.lbs. Less than 200 rounds down the pipe. The rifle shoots consistent, nothing wrong with it, but when you put a bore scope in it, its quite scary. Bought the rifle new, and I couldn't get it to group at all, put the bore scope down it, and the barrel was pitted and in rough condition. I have other factory rifles that are 20 years old that have better barrels. I sent the rifle back to Remington, and they replaced the whole rifle. Received the new rifle, and the barrel on the replacement is pitted also, wonder what happened to quality control, but it does shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I'm wanting to see the true potential of the rifle with a good barrel. If your wondering how I know the barrel nut is at 70 ft. lbs., its because I disassembled it to cerikote it, the camo finish flaked off easily.

After my parents bought me a Remington 710 for my first deer rifle and all the issues they've had with triggers and what not I probably won't ever purchase another fire arm from them. I wondered the same thing about their QC. I was lucky enough to get rifle that shot straight, but it's pretty much a single shot now that the mag release fell outta the stock and won't stay in....

I'm a Criterion Barrel pusher , I used to have three , but sold the 18" , kept the 20" & the 16" , all had no issues with sub MOA . Seems they made their 20" 1-11 twist rate now , mine is a Fulton Barrel , Kreiger /Criterion 1 -10. The 18" , 1-10 I had was their Hybrid , S/S , Nitrated , great barrel . 

DSCN1972.JPG

The 18"

DSCN2567.JPG 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:45 PM, captain23steve said:

It's not a match grade barrel that's been hand-lapped and finished.  It's a factory rack-grade barrel, mass produced.

Before you go and buy a new barrel, try a box or two of Tubb Final Finish ammo.

http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-loaded-ammo/finalfinish-loadedammo-308

Image result for tubb final finish

"I would be happy to get that back from you to check it. We do test our barrels before we do gas port sizes and make sure it works with carbine and rifle buffer systems and we do not give out the gas port sizes as those are valuable 
industry secrets so when people ask we do not answer the question of gas port size."

"-It could be the barrel but I might be able to diagnose it better with all your stuff in it."

I'm torn now, send it in or drill it out myself??????? I had to order a set of bits as nobody had them here in town.

Thats some pure crapola right there lol       You can doo it JT  drill it brother...    go big or go home     sFi_flamethrower.gif    Wash

Sorry Cap...its an industry secret   

:lmao:      Wash