• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

bipod placement

SgtB

Hey all.  I recently purchased a CMMG MK3 T.  I currently have a red dot on it that I will use while breaking in the barrel this weekend.  In a few weeks I will put a Nikon P-308 scope on it and 45 deg offset sights for sub 100 yds.  The rifle will be used for hunting and in theory will be my go to weapon when it hits the fan.

My bolt action rifles have Harris style bipods from Blackhawk and have worked great out west for long range hunting in KS.  For consistency, I installed one on the MK3 as well.  My question comes to placement of the bipod.  I know normally we want to place the bipod as far forward as possible for greater stability but if I move it all the way to the front of the hand guard, the  bipod extends quite a bit beyond the end of the muzzle.  For that reason, I moved it back so that when collapsed it does not extend beyond the flash suppressor.  

What is everyone's thoughts on this placement?

Thanks in advance

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

• 4 months later...

I would like to attach a bi pod to my DPMS LR308B wit bull barrel and solid free float hand guard. Are there others with this rifle that have had to customize the mounting hardware, to make it functional? The sling bead access is definitely going to be a problem. Are there pictures from you guys with this rifle? Maybe a barrel clamp type bi pod?

D63A06F8-5A64-43FF-B443-DACC04C07A61.JPG

I'm a meat and taters guy. I can do this, since I put that swivel post on there. Notice the identical post on the butt stock, in lieu of the sling/strap loop. Detailed pics of previous installs would lessen future mistakes. I hate having to make that statement, "Don't ask me how I know".

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Why can't you mount it directly to the sling stud?...

Bipod.JPG

You trust that Stud with a Sling , a bipod on it shouldn't be an issue .

Why not just add a Rail ?   A  4" , 2" or what ever . Brownells has Universal fit Accessory rails , you already have one hole to start with . Where it ends up if Hand Guard is removed , well thats another matter.

Edited by survivalshop

Mounting the bipod further to the rear is not a problem.  Several Swiss military rifles and at least one German model mounted the bipods close in front of the receiver/mag well.  I mounted on an AR15 like this one time and liked it just fine.  YMMV