• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Arkansas water fowl hunt

shepp

Had a pretty good time, but Mother Nature is a bitch. First no water to do flooded timber duck hunts (which I was looking forward too) then sat and Sunday was foggy as shit. Had a great time learned some things, shot some birds, met some great people and ate some amazing food. This was a hunt/culinary school put on by a chef and writer named Hank Shaw, he cooked for us each night and taught us how to pluck and process birds. Showed us how to wax pluck ducks and geese that shit was slick!!! 

For any of you hunters you should check out hanks cook books buck, buck, moose and duck, duck goose both great books

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

Day one in the blind stone of ducks and geese around us nothing would land in our field 

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

That after noon we moved to a goose spread and shot some geese and mallards

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

Blue goose or eagle head

IMG_5477.JPG

Speckle belly goose

IMG_5480.JPG

Rosses goose

IMG_5482.JPG

Snow goose

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

Edited by shepp

Hell yeah shepp that is worth the price of admission just being there! Im kinda happy ducks suck over there also!  Im contiplating not hunting next year as there are no ducks here! (3 years in a row) I will look up Hank Shaw tootsweet! Whats the wax pluck? 

14 minutes ago, sketch said:

Hell yeah shepp that is worth the price of admission just being there! Im kinda happy ducks suck over there also!  Im contiplating not hunting next year as there are no ducks here! (3 years in a row) I will look up Hank Shaw tootsweet! Whats the wax pluck? 

Rough puck a duck or good so it's just mostly down, take a pot of water we used a was basin put water in it on a burner simmer the water and add unscented wax to the water enough to add a layer (it will float on the water like oil) take the bird by the head and legs and dip it, flip and dunk again. Then put in a cool basin of water till it sets. Pull the bird out crack the wax and peel it off. Works slick as hell like eyebrow waxing 

hes talking about doing a hunt next year in north cal in dec sketch. Stuttgart was amazing I've never seen so many birds in one place in my life!! 

18 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I remember Grandma using wax to pluck turkey and geese on the farm. Looks like a great time and a nice variety of birds. 

What area was the hunt in? I spent a couple years working in Arkansas, met lots of good folks there,

We were in Stuttgart, east southeast of little rock