• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FGMM 308 175 grain $1 a round

jtallen83

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

The 168gr FGMM has been 19.99 a box for a couple weeks. Right now the 19.99 per box (for 175gr) is for any quantity if I'm not mistaken.

The price is good for any amount but the free shipping doesn't kick in till 10 boxes. I almost jumped on the 168's, glad I waited as my rifles seem to prefer the heavier SMK. Curious to see if there is much ballistic difference from the 7.62 version, I'm about halfway through a 500 lot of those.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

The price is good for any amount but the free shipping doesn't kick in till 10 boxes. I almost jumped on the 168's, glad I waited as my rifles seem to prefer the heavier SMK. Curious to see if there is much ballistic difference from the 7.62 version, I'm about halfway through a 500 lot of those.

What barrel twist are the rifles you're referring to that seems to prefer the heavier rounds?

Just now, jtallen83 said:

Both my 1-10 and 1-11.25 seem to shoot better with them, might just be psychological bias on my part though:cool:

Reason I ask is because my ArmaLite has the 1-11.25" twist.  ArmaLite claims it can handle the 175 grains but 168 is "optimum" (or some word like that) and the twist was done so folks could shoot more of the cheaper and lighter 149+ grain ammo.  Nice to hear the 175 will work.

I suspected 1-10" twist could handle just about anything but I'm sure the heavier weights shoot better in the fast twist barrel.

My AR-10 is a good all around rifle, gets some nice groups with NATO M80 ball stuff. I bought a big lot of Fiocchi 175 match with the same SMK when I got the rifle but they don't shoot as good as the FGMM 175's They are as good or better than FGMM 168's, puzzled me some but what do I know. Had some Freedom Munitions that were very accurate for me, next lot of them was pure crap, the bullet is only a small part of the accuracy equation it appears.

That's good to hear.  When we setback we should have the best range weather for the year and I plan on hitting the range as much as possible with the ArmaLite.

I'm going to try the M80 ball first, then move up from there.

The only Fiocchi I have has been for 7.62x39 and they seem to be fine but there is never much difference in weights of the various projectiles in the caliber.  I used them mostly for the brass.

50 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Confusing though ... in sentence they describe it as 460 rounds then another they describe it as 640 rounds.  Finally ... I found somebody with my same math skills :laffs:

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Thinking of that for our next trip!

We took a side-excursion for a few days to Angor Wat in Cambodia.  Been wanting to go there for the longest time.  Very nice trip.  Got to meet some of the local monkeys (macaques) and interact with them.  It was a blast.  :thumbup:

As usual, we'll be going back to Vietnam next February.  We got there every year for the Lunar New Year, which also happens to be the best weather for traveling there.

2 minutes ago, GRA said:

We took a side-excursion for a few days to Angor Wat in Cambodia.  Been wanting to go there for the longest time.  Very nice trip.  Got to meet some of the local monkeys (macaques) and interact with them.  It was a blast.  :thumbup:

As usual, we'll be going back to Vietnam next February.  We got there every year for the Lunar New Year, which also happens to be the best weather for traveling there.

Angor Wat is on the bucket list. Also have some good friends from the 1960's who were in Vietnam courtesy of Uncle Sam. A couple of them never came back from there. I want to see the country, but pay my respects to their memories as well. Thanks for the tip on the weather. I am thinking of taking that boat trip up the Mekong into Cambodia while we are there. A good friend did it and recommended it highly.

1 minute ago, Sisco said:

Angor Wat is on the bucket list. Also have some good friends from the 1960's who were in Vietnam courtesy of Uncle Sam. A couple of them never came back from there. I want to see the country, but pay my respects to their memories as well. Thanks for the tip on the weather. I am thinking of taking that boat trip up the Mekong into Cambodia while we are there. A good friend did it and recommended it highly.

Cambodia is slowly coming out of their near extinction.  They were very nice people.  I highly recommend Angor Wat but be advised that it is actually a huge network of temples and you can literally take 4 days to see it all.  Very tropical, hot and humid.  They virtually have no winter there.  DO NOT STAY IN A CHEAP HOTEL THERE OR EAT ANYTHING SOLD ON THE STREET.

Vietnam is a nice trip but Saigon is not just another big dirty city.  If you go there, get with me first.  Lots to explain to you before you go.  They have Vietnam vet tours there and they will take you to all the famous battle sites.  If you're in to that I highly recommend it and you can find all that online now before you go.

8 minutes ago, GRA said:

Cambodia is slowly coming out of their near extinction.  They were very nice people.  I highly recommend Angor Wat but be advised that it is actually a huge network of temples and you can literally take 4 days to see it all.  Very tropical, hot and humid.  They virtually have no winter there.  DO NOT STAY IN A CHEAP HOTEL THERE OR EAT ANYTHING SOLD ON THE STREET.

Vietnam is a nice trip but Saigon is not just another big dirty city.  If you go there, get with me first.  Lots to explain to you before you go.  They have Vietnam vet tours there and they will take you to all the famous battle sites.  If you're in to that I highly recommend it and you can find all that online now before you go.

I will, it will be at least a year from now. I do want to get up to Hanoi and also if possible get to Laos. Right now we are leaning on going with a tour organization we have used before and trust. They do a 3 week trip. And they know their stuff. When Arab Spring hit Egypt a few years ago, they had 324 people in Egypt on various tours. They got everyone out of the country in 24 hours. I like a travel company that has a good emergency response plan.

As far as eating street food, I sold in the field of Infectious Disease and Parasitology for over 30 years. I know what you are talking about.

Edited by Sisco

Stick with that tour plan as it is your best option.  Be advised there is a Hard Rock Cafe now in both Saigon and Hanoi.  Haven't been to the one in Hanoi but the HRC in Saigon has the best bacon cheeseburger in all of SE Asia, IMHO.