• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Electronic Targets

I competed in a NRA XC match at Camp Atterbury IN this past weekend, 200, 300, and 600yds. They used electronic targets for all the stages of the match. Using WiFi on my phone I was able to see the location of where the bullet hit the aiming area just by glancing at my phone and once done with the string save the target as well. Very cool system over all, nit sure how much maintenance it takes to keep it working. It was my first match of the new year and did OK. With iron sights at 600yds the 20 shot group was 16.3 wide and 7.8 high. Considering the 15mph wind with wind let ups and pick ups my score wasn''t to bad shooting a 308. About 14-15 shots were within height of the 6 inch x ring. The sitting was my 2nd string, 100-7X while my first sitting string was 198-1 and low to the right in the ten ring. What I should of done while reloading for the last five shots to see the group and made an adjustment. At 300yds, I did exactly that, made a sight adj after the firing that first 5 rounds and ended up with a 99 then a 100-5.  

100-7X.PNG

600yds 195-7.PNG

A lot of the normal routine of shooting a match was changed with electronic targets. No need for a spotting scope at 200yds at all, just look at your phone for scoring. At 600yds the person writing your score down doesn't need a spotting scope as it's on the phone. A cross fire would be hard to prove as well. but it was cool not to pull targets.