• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR-308B Plus some upgrades

Finally here! My first 308AR, ordered it assembled, minus the optics. Thread protector cap should have arrived today. Gonna decide on a flash suppresor or brake after I shoot it.

I wanted to wait til I had some better pics, but I'm at work so the phone pic will have to do for now.

IMG00409-20110623-1924.jpg

DPMS LR-308B

Magpul PRS

Panther grip

ambi-safety

chrome BCG

JP adjustable trigger

tactical charging latch

dpms aluminum gas block

DPMS 18" fluted/threaded bull barrel

Thanks for the compliments. Took it to the range yesterday and put 2 boxes of 168 gr Gold Medal Match thru her at 100 yds to sight in. I opted not to do the traditional break-in procedure since I read somewhere on DPMS' website that you don't have to. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I originally decided to wait on a brake because I had noticed shooting my friend's 18" .223 that it was significantly quieter behind the gun without a brake than with, but I think I'll be happier with less muzzle rise. I also was thinking I want an adjustable gas block, but I'm not sure how that'll work unless I remove the tube to adjust it.

Time to start reloading now.

Oops. I went back looking for the info that said the break-in procedure was unnecessary and all I could find was a recommendation for cleaning every round for 25  and every 10 for the first 100. At least I only put 40 thru it so far.

Opinions?

Oops. I went back looking for the info that said the break-in procedure was unnecessary and all I could find was a recommendation for cleaning every round for 25  and every 10 for the first 100. At least I only put 40 thru it so far.

Opinions?

Well I'm glad you asked for my opinion before it was given, it proves that there's a first time for everything!

If you want to accomplish the same thing with much less time & money spent, buy a box of this stuff and shoot a box, breakin finished. Clean your bore and shoot whatever suits your fancy after that. At this point I'm pretty sure barrel break-in is primarily advantageous to barrel makers and ammunition manufacturers.

I've used the Tubb Final Finish on three new builds now, and all I can say is - I'm very happy with how those rifles perform.  <thumbsup>  I'll use it on every new barrel I get in the future. 

My $0.02. 

After I posted the other day I noticed that while leveling my optics I managed to slide the NF all the way forward in the rings before i tightened it down. So I re-leveled scope and took it out for a few more confirmation shots afterward. Used a friend's bore guide to clean since I won't have my Lucas for a few weeks. Seems like she shoots a tighter group after the cleaning. Sorry no target pics, but here are a couple with the thread cap in place with her smaller sibling. (Rock River .223)

DSCN1649.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/Txagg05/308AR/DSCN1648.jpg