• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Part 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, Faxon took care of the bad barrel. I decided to go all in and ordered a 16" pencil profile .308 Win. That should bring the bare rifle weight to about  7.6lbs. That's lighter than a G2 compact hunter. Now my G2 envy has finally subsided. Thank God! Thank Faxon!  

Also my Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring has final shipped. I've been waiting on it to tune my gas block to it. Should be fun. I'll report back. 

Here is a turtle sandwich just because: 

o-TURTLE-facebook.jpg

29 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Welp, Faxon took care of the bad barrel. I decided to go all in and ordered a 16" pencil profile .308 Win. That should bring the bare rifle weight to about  7.6lbs. That's lighter than a G2 compact hunter. Now my G2 envy has finally subsided. Thank God! Thank Faxon!  

Also my Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring has final shipped. I've been waiting on it to tune my gas block to it. Should be fun. I'll report back. 

Here is a turtle sandwich just because: 

o-TURTLE-facebook.jpg

Hold the Mayo. :laffs:

Armaspec came in! 

15051793634571837710454.thumb.jpg.1bc699d228cbd6e7b55ee55e6c411074.jpg

I had a JP spacer to adapt the carbine buffer into a rifle tube. Installed it to find the carrier going back too far and making contact with the lower. I added a washer to bring the bolt face about 1/4" pass the mag catch. It's stops at the same spot as the DPMS rifle buffer did. I really like the "feel" of the SRS.  Very well made. Its also 0.7 oz lighter. Wooo whoo! Breaststroker would be so proud!

Just need a barrel to show up now. 

16" Faxon pencil barrel came in today. Now that's more like it. Came together very nicely. Even fitted tighter in the upper than the first one. One thing I did notice was that the gas port is further down the barrel than the others by about 1/4". Gas key still engages a good 1/2" so it should work, I hope. Empty gun weighs 7.6 lbs. I'm liking it. 

20170914_140039.thumb.jpg.309f53b8bd03d4a0c6115240b2fa393c.jpg

11 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Like that barrel. Interested to find out how the groups hold together when it heats up. No big deal in a hunting rifle, which I assume is the intended use. Nice and light.

Yes this one's main purpose is for one shot kills. Maybe 5 or 6 rounds in succession for a sounder of swine. 

I decided to hang on to the 18" that came with the upper originally. It shot very well and I'll end up completing a separate upper. 

Just installed the Armalite tube and it was worth the trouble. Not only is it the correct length but the way it is bent makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. The AR15 tube had an upward cant when installed into the 308 frame because of the larger barrel nut circumference and taller port in the upper receiver. The Armalite tube accounts for this in the way it is bent therefore the tube is running much more parallel with the barrel nut, BCG, and gas key. The AR15 tube would contact the end of the barrel nut. No longer does it contact the barrel nut. The Devil is in the details.:evil: 

Now I just gotta shoot this damn thing.:fullauto:

Good little range session this morning before it got too busy. Results with new Faxon pencil 16" were mediocre. 1-2 MOA. This was with 5 shot sessions with 10-15 second rest between shots. 

The gun functioned beautifully though! That's the main thing. The Odin Works "tuneable" gas block was very easy to tune. Had it spitting piping hot cases in a orderly little pile at 2:45-3:00. 

I might have to work up a load to see if I can reduce these groups. However, I also shot my X-bolt which is normally a MONA (minute of nat's ass) shooter, but today was on par with the PA10. Maybe my kids were "helping" me reload that last batch. Oddly enough my 35 Remington shot better than both. Anyway....

The Armaspec SRS worked perfectly. No SPPRRAAANNG when fired and feels like a 1911 when charging. I like it. 

Sorry, no group pics. Before I could get to my targets a fellow shooter had posted his on top of mine. I hate people.

I leave you all with this...

1wk8el.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally got time to test out a ladder load spredd today. The Faxon pencil 16 liked it a little milder but still got decent results (1.75 MOA) just before I started seeing pressure signs. Had 2 seperated cases at 43gn of Varget. Might try fresh brass at 43 to see what happens. 

Just fine for a deer/hog gun. Longest shot is about 80yd usually. 

Why is there always that one stinkin flyer? Maybe not enough cool down between shots? I was about 30-45 sec between. 

20180424_201615.thumb.jpg.003c607d7b2ac5a60e5640723e9483e1.jpg

20180424_201448.thumb.jpg.fa37bdabd1e97c90da5581f76a18a9ba.jpg

20180424_201405.thumb.jpg.c8ec9532ae21e7bacad1f038362742cf.jpg

Edited by Boot_Scraper

What's the details on your load, Boot?  You shouldn't have any separation like that at the weights you're loading. I load some 150 FMJ-BTs to 46.0gr of RL15, CCI200 primers, and don't have issues (bolt gun only load, not for semis).