• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Part 1

Figured I'd start my own thread instead of hijacking others, (sorry about that @confused @bfoosh006 ) so here goes.

Started with a PA10 assembled upper with the hybrid rail, 18" nitride barrel and BCG. The handgaurd was nice but I always had a thing for the Diamondhead VRS-T. In hindsight, I'da done better just piecing the whole gun together, but hey "live and learn".

597f289929a25_PA-10(1).thumb.jpg.8d1af3f06b7f16bda4acc1b5b2e3aff5.jpg

I pulled the handguard and commenced to remove the barrel nut. This damn thing was not budging at all...AT ALL. I read up on it and someone said to freeze it. It spent the night next to my deer sausage while I fabbed up a "torque enhancing" wrench. You gotta do what you gotta do.

20170508_192826.thumb.jpg.b6ed938e0396d57c9f42ca6a6989371c.jpg

The freezer trick worked like a charm. I just blew on it and it spun right off. God bless the internet.

597f29298c2a3_PA-10(4).thumb.jpg.93bd91159a904377c2ada2c7f7103973.jpg

My dad has an R-25 that he wanted to pimp out so I gave him the hybrid HG. He loves it. He giggled like a school girl when it was finished. That was worth all the trouble. BTW a PA10 and DPMS barrel nut extension are the same thing.

597f2868de329_PA-10(2).thumb.jpg.d8ec3d1ac1478f67299cc2cc5d025fa7.jpg

My parts eventually came in and I put everything together. I marveled at it's badassery. Empty, bare rifle weighs 8.5 lbs. 

Parts used:

Velocity 3lb drop in

Diamond head VRS-T 10.25" low hg

Hogue beavertail

PSA upgrade kit

Fortis lowpro GB

ACE skeleton stock

ARP JAL comp

597f2ab4ec7b7_PA-10(3).thumb.jpg.017ae3fa9c6640adc6520b60184fee66.jpg

First firing session coming up.

Edited by Boot_Scraper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I copied this from my hijack.

Got off my ass this afternoon and went to my friends place just to see how my new toy works. Welp... it was a complete failure by any measure.

First box of Fed Fusion 165: 2 out of 20 FT eject. 20 rnds of my handload hunting rounds ran perfect. Next box of Fusion 165, 15 of 20 same failure to eject. The gun was trying to feed a round with the spent cartridge still in place.

I started with one round in the chamber on an empty to see if would hold open. It did. Held open after the last round every time.   

Now I can't say it was completely the rifle's fault. During my research on the PA-10, prior to building one, some folks had mentioned that PSA installs 2 orings under the extractor and that it can cause issues. I preemptively removed one from my bolt prior to shooting. Dunno if that was the cause but I replaced it and will try again this week. When I tore the bcg down the bolt was very stiff in the bc. Cleaned it up and gave it a good dose of syn motor oil. We'll see.

Here's the aftermath when I went to clear the rifle:https://forum.308ar.com/topic/15224-guess-how-i-did-this/#comment-223048 My finger still hurts like hell as I type this. 

Bolt  is now in stock form as it came from PSA. It has small spring inside a larger one with 2 orings surrounding the larger spring. Gonna shoot it Wednesday and see. 

Gas block is installed correctly.  I went back and double checked it after reading the sticky posted here. ?

Edited by Boot_Scraper

51 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Dump both the O-rings , they are not needed , keep the springs in there & try it . Too strong of tension in Extractor can keep the spent Case on the Bolt Face & not release it or release it to late .

Thanks Shop. I'll give it a try and report back.

I am going to suggest you also check the ejector... make sure it isn't binding or hanging up somehow. If you take it apart, polish it ( Quad ought OOOO steel wool ) and check the hole for burrs with an appropriate sized drill bit spun by your fingers.

Sorry to hear about your finger.... I have seen how hard the bolt slams home !

BTW, what buffer and recoil spring setup ?

Also ... if you could check the firing pin retaining cotter key and see if it bent at all.... I would still like to know why mine did in its OEM configuration.

Edited by bfoosh006

7 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

I am going to suggest you also check the ejector... make sure it isn't binding or hanging up somehow. If you take it apart, polish it ( Quad ought OOOO steel wool ) and check the hole for burrs with an appropriate sized drill bit spun by your fingers.

Sorry to hear about your finger.... I have seen how hard the bolt slams home !

BTW, what buffer and recoil spring setup ?

Also ... if you could check the firing pin retaining cotter key and see if it bent at all.... I would still like to know why mine did in its OEM configuration.

Retainer is strait. 

I'm using a DPMS rifle buffer and spring. 

Ejector doesn't seem to be binding when I operate it by hand with a case. 

What's interesting is that my handloads all ran without a hitch. Makes me think it might be ammo related. The Federal fusions do seem hotter that my rolled rounds. 

Like I mentioned before, the bolt was very stiff in the carrier when I took apart at home. It would not go into battery unless I let it have some momentum. After cleaning, lubing it, and hand cycling it a bunch it now slides right in like R Kelly into a minor (too graphic? Sorry). 

I will have to check out the ACE stocks. I have always used the standard stock for repeatability as far as cheek weld with all my AR's. I am a big fan of muscle memory. My 15's and 10's all have the standard stock.. If I replace one, I will probably replace all of them with the same one for that reason. Leaning towards the Luth, but I like the way that ACE looks.

Alrighty folks. I installed both orings and both springs just as it was when it left Palmetto. Lesson learned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The rifle performed flawlessly all afternoon, roughly 50 rounds. I'm very pleased with the results. I was going to put  a Faxon 16 on order (still may) but I really can't complain. My handloads are what I use for deer in my X-bolt. 165 Gameking HPBT over 42.5gn of Varget, CCI 200, 2.750" COAL, in a federal case. These shoot under .5 MOA in mine and my brother's X-bolt. The first 2 boxes of Fusions were all over the place then began to shrink.

3 shot group with my handloads: .70"

20170802_190325.thumb.jpg.aae32c784e6fcf96b25581fb9977e47c.jpg

5 shot group H/L: 1.30"

20170802_190343.thumb.jpg.05f153c8d8817c8cc3b35454fd97fbec.jpg 

Federal Fusion 165: 1.30" - 1.50"

20170802_190417.thumb.jpg.8db0e7d4da54b730942efbf32d5b99a5.jpg

I think we got a winner. Happy shootin!

Edited by Boot_Scraper

The plot thickens...

Faxon was clearing out barrels and I jumped on a sweet deal for a Faxon 16" medium. Also have an adjustable gas block coming. 

I wasn't disappointed at all with the performance of the PSA 18" but I'm a sucker for a good deal. 

Original PSA  PA10 18" barrel weighs. 2.75 lbs. The Faxon comes in at 2.10. That's a good bit a difference.

Every ounce counts when I'm carrying this thing a mile plus through the swamps. Public land hunting joys. Keeps me young. 

Faxon 16" came in today. You fellas were right... I love it. 

I took the opportunity while I had the credit card out to buy an optic better suited to what I built this thing for, to carry and hunt. I own 2 Vortex Diamondback scopes already and they have been great. The trend continues with the PA10. Also installed a Odin Works tune-able GB.

Brought the empty weight from 10.25 lbs to just under 9 lbs. Might head to the range in the am. Here's a fancy photo of my updated "pretty pretty". 

20170818_150934.thumb.jpg.25a21e50ba3dfa5ec7e7793d559a310b.jpg

Thanks for the opinions on the 16!