• Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
jtallen83

Bushnell Tactical Elite XRS 4.5-30x50mm

21 posts in this topic

Had a rain day today so started to get to know my new scope. Fantastic glass, I have been looking at scopes for a bit now and can't say I remember a big difference from this scope to several other high dollar scopes I have eyeballed, Sig, Nightforce, Steiner, S&B. I haven't had them side by side but this will be plenty clear enough for me. Really like the reticle so far. The knobs are nice, you can hear them sucking air past the O-rings when you lift them and the clicks are solid and loud enough. No wobble or play in any of the adjustments. 1 hour at between 200 and 225 in the oven and everything felt the same, except I had to use a towel to touch it. It will spend the night in the freezer, the real cold test will come this winter when it gets good and below zero in Iowa, that will test the high speed coating, I've yet to find a scope that didn't get a little foggy when breathed on at 15 below. Sorry about the poor quality pics, all I have with me is my phone, if anyone wants a better look at something let me know and I will get more pics with a quality camera when I get home. Once it is mounted I will do some tracking test on it.

IMG_1034.thumb.JPG.dc4b1a56f22365528d69d6837b57e6b3.JPGIMG_1035.thumb.JPG.5352e92024922c5862089d7130a90c24.JPGIMG_1036.thumb.JPG.7d60eeebe9e26689f0b33a2ccd9e24e1.JPG

Love the smell of fresh baked optics

7 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Love the smell of fresh baked optics

Didn't even think of that aspect, pretty much scent free, just a hint of yesterday's fish from the oven,

maybe they pre-bake? :thumbup:

13 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Rain day ???  :lmao:

Yep, only worked 8 instead of what has been 14 hour+ days, 6 days a week. Got a pile of comp time built up to use for cold weather testing! Sick of driving 200 miles a day on this blue ridge parkway for sure.

There's worse places to be than on the Blue Ridge. Some totally gorgeous scenery. But I totally understand the "daily grind" aspect of it. Every drive sucks after a while.

Worse part of the job is the fukin drive.

9 hours ago, Rsquared said:

There's worse places to be than on the Blue Ridge. 

Fuk yea beautiful area..... could be Gary  :fullauto:

Posted (edited)

Very true, I don't know how you city boys do it, at least I can run over the traffic out here and not get in trouble. Damn deer behind every rock!

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

5 deer in that last picture if you look close, they wait till you get close then run in front of you.

Edited by jtallen83
Context

On 8/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, jtallen83 said:

Very true, I don't know how you city boys do it, at least I can run over the traffic out here and not get in trouble. Damn deer behind every rock!

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

5 deer in that last picture if you look close, they wait till you get close then run in front of you.

I have always wanted to drive this Parkway.  I've heard it's a sight to behold. :cool:

On 8/7/2017 at 2:29 PM, jtallen83 said:

Had a rain day today so started to get to know my new scope. Fantastic glass, I have been looking at scopes for a bit now and can't say I remember a big difference from this scope to several other high dollar scopes I have eyeballed, Sig, Nightforce, Steiner, S&B. I haven't had them side by side but this will be plenty clear enough for me. Really like the reticle so far. The knobs are nice, you can hear them sucking air past the O-rings when you lift them and the clicks are solid and loud enough. No wobble or play in any of the adjustments. 1 hour at between 200 and 225 in the oven and everything felt the same, except I had to use a towel to touch it. It will spend the night in the freezer, the real cold test will come this winter when it gets good and below zero in Iowa, that will test the high speed coating, I've yet to find a scope that didn't get a little foggy when breathed on at 15 below. Sorry about the poor quality pics, all I have with me is my phone, if anyone wants a better look at something let me know and I will get more pics with a quality camera when I get home. Once it is mounted I will do some tracking test on it.

IMG_1034.thumb.JPG.dc4b1a56f22365528d69d6837b57e6b3.JPGIMG_1035.thumb.JPG.5352e92024922c5862089d7130a90c24.JPGIMG_1036.thumb.JPG.7d60eeebe9e26689f0b33a2ccd9e24e1.JPG

Looks great !!!  Sounds like it has 1st. class features.  I have read the glass on that one is premium.  How's the weight?

7 hours ago, GRA said:

Looks great !!!  Sounds like it has 1st. class features.  I have read the glass on that one is premium.  How's the weight?

Heavy! Don't have a scale to check Bushnell's claimed 2 pound 5 ounces. by the time I add the mount and some lens covers it will be knocking on 3 pounds.

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Heavy! Don't have a scale to check Bushnell's claimed 2 pound 5 ounces. by the time I add the mount and some lens covers it will be knocking on 3 pounds.

That's interesting.  You know out of all the gun shows I've attended here through the years I cannot recall seeing anyone selling one of those specific models.  It must be one of Bushnell's top-end models.

Our gun shows are fairly big and often with more than 1 or 2 optics vendors per show and Bushnell is popular but I don't recall seeing anything that scale ever offered.  This is most likely because most folks won't spend that money or the vendors don't have the capital to tie up for that very long.  Of course this is what causes me to be interested in that model.  :evil:

How's the mount you got for it?  Does it look like it needs to be honed?  It would be nice to see some photos of it mounted up and maybe take some measurements.

Congrats again on the purchase. :thumbup:

Scope is with me in Virginia and the mount was shipped to home in Iowa so it will be a few weeks yet before they are introduced. If the mount would need honed then it gets sent back, they guarantee it lines up perfectly.

It is Bushnell's top of the line long range scope. There is lots of testing data for it listed on the Precision Rifle Blog. It was in the top ten list for the PRS circuit for several years, granted in the lower tier of the top ten but just getting there says a bunch. The version I bought has updates meant to address some of the turret issues exposed in the below links. I predict their will be a new version of it issued soon, there are wholesalers blowing them out now for just a bit over half what they were selling for just a year ago, if you could find one.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/24/best-tactical-scopes-what-the-pros-use/

Edited by jtallen83
added links

10 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I agree with this.  I've searched this pretty good within the last year and this model was NEVER lower-dollar.  I've looked it up on Optics Planet and DVOR as well as some of the other vendors and it was pricey.  Problem is I just don't have a range I can take one of these to put it to the test it deserves.

I might have actually read some of those reviews previously (or similar other reviews) and one thing that always stood out is it had great glass and the 34MM allowed a lot more natural light in compared to the 30MM lens.  Maybe I'll get a chance to check one out this coming year at a gun show once it gets closer to the holiday season.  Cannot even find one in the Academy stores around here and usually they have at least one of everything.  Last time I was in there our local Bass Pro Shop didn't have one neither.

The vendor I got mine from listed Dallas as the origin but the scope shipped from Overland Park, Kansas, Bushnell HQ is there. This vendor still has one listed for $1499 but I know he will take less.

Just now, jtallen83 said:

The vendor I got mine from listed Dallas as the origin but the scope shipped from Overland Park, Kansas, Bushnell HQ is there. This vendor still has one listed for $1499 but I know he will take less.

That article still shows them at $2149.00 ... OUCH !!!   :drool:

1 minute ago, jtallen83 said:

Now that I think about it he probably drop-shipped straight from Bushnell.  DAMN ... these things have a markup !!! 

Just now, GRA said:

That article still shows them at $2149.00 ... OUCH !!!   :drool:

and it is one of the cheapest scopes used in the review!

2 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

and it is one of the cheapest scopes used in the review!

Still impressive ... :thumbup: 

Notice they rated it higher than the US Optics model .... hhhmmmmmm 

Just now, GRA said:

Now that I think about it he probably drop-shipped straight from Bushnell.  DAMN ... these things have a markup !!! 

It wasn't a professional/factory pack job, very much overdone on the peanuts and airbags, with handwritten addresses, could be someone stole a case and is selling them through another party on that auction site, registered it with Bushnell and never heard anything so maybe not......

Just now, jtallen83 said:

It wasn't a professional/factory pack job, very much overdone on the peanuts and airbags, with handwritten addresses, could be someone stole a case and is selling them through another party on that auction site, registered it with Bushnell and never heard anything so maybe not......

Very well could be but again I think the word about that would've been out by now.  To be honest I think there is simply an enormous markup on these things these days.

Now that I think of it ... I don't think I even own a weapon that is more than $1,500.00 value.  That scope is more than the weapon itself.  Amazing.