• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BCGs and Accuracy

mineralman55

I was looking at the various BCGs for the 308ARs and wondered, is there anything definitive that can be said regarding the accuracy of the different brands? I've got a Shadow Ops NiB, a Hardened Arms and an Aeroprecision USA BCG and honestly, the biggest difference in accuracy seems to be more due to my marksmanship or the load I'm using. Can anyone say definitively that XYZ BCG far and above provides the best accuracy?

It seems to me that it would be tough to isolate it to a BCG as there are so many things going on when a round fires. Barrels, chambers and head space, yes. Those are all static. That leaves the BCG, trigger, buffer system and upper reciever as interacting parts during a kinetic exchange of energy. A lot to isolate.

If the Bolt is Head Spaced properly , its locked in place , that would be the only thing I can see that would be a factor . Bad HS could hinder accuracy & that could be dangerous also .

All else considered , the Barrels Chamber , Barrel rifling or type , Cartridge loading & nut behind the Trigger are the factors for good accuracy .

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

If the Bolt is Head Spaced properly , its locked in place , that would be the only thing I can see that would be a factor . Bad HS could hinder accuracy & that could be dangerous also .

All else considered , the Barrels Chamber , Barrel rifling or type , Cartridge loading & nut behind the Trigger are the factors for good accuracy .

My sentiments, exactly. 

I wouldn't buy a Hesse/Vulcan/Whatever BCG and expect it to perform miracles, but as long as it's a quality part from a quality vendor, then it's all about the headspace.  Nothing more.

There's some higher-tech shiit in the 5.56 BCGs now, besides coatings, that could make a difference, but that stuff hasn't trickled into the 308-world yet.   

On 12/7/2017 at 3:27 AM, mineralman55 said:

like what?

Right off the bat, I think of the DS Arms "Sand Cut" BCG.  I picked up one of those not long ago, and it's pretty damn nice.  I can see how their "sand cuts" would actually help, and give the BCG room to clear out debris - but you'd have to be in a shooting environment where you'd get that "debris" in there to see the real benefit.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16061-dsa-ar15-m16-cut-ntfe-coated-sand-cut-enhanced-bolt-carrier-group.aspx

16061_1_.jpg

Second, is the wave of 5.56 BCG with flat sides - reduces friction with the upper, because it's not a round BCG in a round upper channel.  I first saw these from ARES Armor (the Reduced Friction BCG) back when, and I have several of them.  They're DAMN nice BCGs.  They're still out there, by different manufacturers now.

Ares20BCG_zpsgfpjw2qv.jpg

Ares%20Armor%20Reduced%20Friction%20Blac

Edited by 98Z5V

I don't have experience with that. But I wish I had back the money I spent on "matched" bolts for AR15 and 308AR.  Like 98 said, buy quality bolt from a quality manufacturer and let it ride.  Barrel quality is your key to accuracy as long as the bolt headspaces with SAAMi spec go gauges.  Take the extra money you would spend on a whizbang BCG and put it towards a high quality barrel. 

My latest experience.  I bought a Seekins 18inch  308 barrel (rock creek blank), threw in an old JP bolt in a DPMS carrier (3000+ rounds), checked headspace, zero'd the rifle and started crushing targets.  Accuracy is on point.