• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Here we go again...

weaponizer

@Jeff, There isn't a .308 specific grip made that I know of. That being said, all the grips should be the standard AR15 grips with one hole, for the safety selector.

On an AR15 the take-down detent spring is installed horizontally and held in with the receiver plate. On a 308, the receiver is too long to mount the spring in the same manner. Instead the spring sits flat against the top of the pistol grip. The only grip that really has an issue with this is the Magpul MIAD. There is a missing area of plastic that the spring normally sits on. For AR15's that isn't an issue, but for 308's we have to be a little crafty.

I guess that's my loooong way of saying, there should only be one small hole in your pistol grip.

Good answer!

Sorry to be such a noob, but without touching the parts it's hard to know what's what!

Thanks!

Jeff

I have my AR at a little over six pounds naked.

No fair if that's a SBR!

I have an old Colt AR-15 with a 16" pencil barrel, A2 open sights, CAR stock and mil plastic furniture. Nothing fancy, all Colt. It probably weighs in around, if not under, the 7 pound mark. It's my plinker. I used to drop a Colt .22lr conversion in it when I was a kid, and shoot all day.

• 6 months later...

Question above about two holes in the grip for the springs of an AR-10:

It is very easy to make a second hole as a seat for the second spring.  Measure and center-punch the place for the second spring hole.  Drill a 3/32 inch diameter hole 3/32 inches deep.  Its not real critical.  This big dimple will make assembling the grip to the lower receiver easy.

The next (always immediate!) question is about this mod weakening the force on the detent.  NO!!!!!!  The spring is very long,  many close turns of spring wire;  the spring and the actual detent rod will never know the difference.  You will know the difference when you are not chasing the end of that spring in 20 different directions while you are holding the rifle with one hand and pushing the grip into place with another hand and trying to use a finger of a different hand and a couple of small tools in each of the other remaining hands to make that spring go in the hole in the receiver straight.  The little dimple solves all that.

Worst case:  On mine,  I drill free-hand with a drill bit in a drill motor.  Of course I drilled too deep,  maybe 3/8 inch deep.  Big deal.  There was a fast-food soda straw in the trash;  measure hole depth with a toothpick,  cut a short section of the straw about the right length;  slit it down the side;  roll it up and push it down into the hole.  Makes a great red-color stop for the spring in the bottom of the dimple.  Looks like it was done on purpose.  You could get by with claiming that grip came from the factory like that!