• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Here we go again...

weaponizer

So, what are your plans with regards to the upper/barrel/handguard,stock, if light weight is your goal? One of the things that I found while building my .308 AR's was that there is a difference in weight between the different upper/lower sets. Some of the billet sets are several oz. heavier than the AR-10 set. The other components all become a matter of personal preference/planned purpose, and your budget. Since you've started your build with a lightweight lower, you'll just have to see how far your willing to go to make that lightweight carbine. Good luck.

I will keep you all up to date, i just sent uncle Armalite some money, and i'm waiting for a reply to a question from Battle Arms about a trigger combo...

Any suggestions are welcome, while i've been building Ar's since the 60's (yes you read that right) i know little about the AR308's, this seems to be a great site to get that information, and so far i see a great bunch of guys willing to share it without the usual BS that you get from other sites...

For a trigger, Gieselle SSA from B.A.D. in combo with their A.S.S.  And if you use their promo code on here, it's CHEAP and free shipping.

Just an awesome combo.  And you can't argue with a trigger SOCOM uses.

You can't use the promo code anymore with the Giessele combo, i pm'ed them and they said they were "close to losing money on it" so they had to stop it, but that didn't stop me i bought the SSA combo, like you recomended, except i got the enhanced model...I have Giessele triggers in all my AR's except my MK12 model 0 which has a KAC, (i like the Giessele better) ...

Well, I don't want them to lose money.  It's a great deal regardless.  But I do wish I'd ordered mine already.  ;)

I'm glad you were happy with my recommendation. I'm not always right, but I have a habit of when I am, it's the nail on the head kind.  <thumbsup>

I have this AR10 I picked up at a pawn shop for $600 and I've been thinking about having

the barrel cut to 14.5", add 1 1/2" muzzle break, Magpul stock/grip leave it with a mid-

length gas and milspec hand guard to make a absolute minimum size/weight rifle.

AR10C.jpg

Here is a photo shopped image of what it would look like

AR10RE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the specs.                                   

AR-10                                                    AR-15

Armalite upper and lower                    LaRue billet upper

Armalite BCG                                      POF billet lower

Tac-one charging handle                      JP bolt carrier W/bravo bolt

B.A.D. ASS ambi safety                        Bravo charging handle large latch

Geissele SSA-e trigger                          Geissele trigger

Noveske 16" fluted barrel                    Noveske 16" afghan barrel

Troy 13.8 rail"                                    Troy 13.8" rail 

Ace entry stock                                    Pinned CTR buttstock w/ modified extension

Slash carbine buffer                            9mm buffer

w/ modified Armalite spring                  FSC 223 muzzle brake (pinned)

FSC 30 muzzle brake (pinned )              Magpul Buis

Magpul Buis (coming monday)              Magpul B.A.D lever

Ambi safety

• 4 months later...

Got some goodies today... :)

1022509n.jpg

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm really new at the AR-10 stuff.

I am doing as much research as I can to build one that I want.

Does the grip have two holes in it, one for the takedown pin detent and spring one for the safety detent spring?

If I am totally incorrect please tell me! (I've been pretty dumb my whole life)<dontknow>

Thanks!

Jeff

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm really new at the AR-10 stuff.

I am doing as much research as I can to build one that I want.

Does the grip have two holes in it, one for the takedown pin detent and spring one for the safety detent spring?

If I am totally incorrect please tell me! (I've been pretty dumb my whole life)<dontknow>

Thanks!

Jeff

@Jeff, There isn't a .308 specific grip made that I know of. That being said, all the grips should be the standard AR15 grips with one hole, for the safety selector.

On an AR15 the take-down detent spring is installed horizontally and held in with the receiver plate. On a 308, the receiver is too long to mount the spring in the same manner. Instead the spring sits flat against the top of the pistol grip. The only grip that really has an issue with this is the Magpul MIAD. There is a missing area of plastic that the spring normally sits on. For AR15's that isn't an issue, but for 308's we have to be a little crafty.

I guess that's my loooong way of saying, there should only be one small hole in your pistol grip.