• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Gen II PA-10

bearleft

I really like the gun, I was a bit nervous about a $579.00 .308 but it's fugin awesome!! 500 rounds in with NO hiccups, everything functions great.

I have the longer buffer tube marked Pa-10, added 2 tungsten buffer weights to slow BCG a bit.

Topped with a Vortex Crossfire.

Shoots groups like below with little to no effort.

Will be doing ladder test with Varget and many different bullets soon.

Good shooting, Dan

20170816_165137.jpg

20170818_054649.jpg

8 hours ago, bearleft said:

I have the longer buffer tube marked Pa-10, added 2 tungsten buffer weights to slow BCG a bit.

Get into that recoil system pretty far - check everything out.  This has all the details, and there are other thread links in this link:

At a bare minimum, if you have the "long" carbine receiver extension - it's internally too long.  Either 7 7/8" internal depth or 8" internal depth.  Your buffer should be 3.25" long for that kind of recoil system, but the internal depth on the receiver extension should have been 7 5/8" dead nuts on, for it to operate properly.

Glad yours is working great. Mine took a few tweaks to get it where I wanted it. Mine was way over gassed, ejecting cases to 1:00 or so, and I had a few stove pipes. My bcg was also hitting the receiver end. So, I put on an adjustable gas block, put a quarter in the tube behind the spring, and added two tungsten weights to the buffer. Once I got the gas adjusted she was great. Mine is fairly accurate as well. It would be nice if PSA could get it perfect right out of the box, but it seems they keep messing with different parts suppliers, and their .308 AR platform needs some tweaks to get it just right.

10 hours ago, bearleft said:

What gas block are you using?

I used an Anderson Manufactoring AM-15 adjustable gas block. The stainless 18" barrel with Mlok rail has a gas block with the exact same spacing on the set screws, and it comes dimpled. At least mine did. So, the switch over was very simple and easy. Mine works great. You can find them here: AM-15 Adjustable Gas Block It shows out of stock at the moment. However, I suspect they'll have more.

PSA is very hit and miss.  Their 223's seem to do ok, but thier 308's can be finiky from what I"ve read.  FWIW, I had an AR45 (45ACP) from them and it was a massive turd, as was their support for it.  It's completely turned me off their brand, though I will continue to get my add-on goodies from them.

Nice shooting BTW.  What distance will you be doing your ladder test at?  I've only got a 300 yard max for me at my range, so I'm not sure that's enough for  a ladder test.

The load work up will be done at 100 yards. I will be shooting 150 grain Nosler partitions, Nosler ballistic tips and 168 grain Amax. Just trying to see if the bullets have  a preference for different powder charge of  Varget. I have 200 yards available to me most of the  time and if I drive a ways I've got a 300-yard range I have  access to. 

4 hours ago, MarkTheNewf said:

Is 100 yards enough of a distance to give a good visual spread?  I thought 300 was a minimum and more is better.

Yes, 100 will get it done.   When you're building charge ladders to find a charge, it's more than enough to see the difference.  

25-45 load workup here, you cen definitely see the differences at 100 yards on a 0.2 grain charge spread.

P1050576.JPG

P1050577.JPG

Obviously, I went with the 23.1 grain charge on this rifle.  It works wonderfully. 

26 minutes ago, bearleft said:

I'm not looking for cloverleafs with a semi, I'm new to the platform. The 300 win. mag bolt was easier to get 3/4 MOA with RL-22.

Don't be self defeating:banana:       this was from my first build back in 2011... ...and I was taking advice from these Yahoos on the forum

:laffs:   Wash

post-692-136297266203.jpg

Hmmmm.....what you guys are seeming to discuss is an "Optimal Charge Weight" (OCW) test where you have several increments of charges.  You then fire each charge group and see what gives you the best or most consistent grouping.  You then tweak the charge around that best group again to see if you can improve on it.

Ladder Testing with multiple charges identifies the charge(s) giving minimal vertical dispersion at long range.  Basically you're finding the resonant nodes of the barrel, so the minimum recommended distance is 300 yards if you want to be able to see this vertical offset.  This is why I asked if 100 yards would be enough.

You do your ladder test to get the best range of charges for minimum barrel vibration interference and then work up a more tighter and consistent optimized charge.

I agree with the comments above that you can definitely eek out some pretty impressive grouping when everything falls into place.  If Varget doesn't give you what you're looking for, I'd also look into Reloader-15.  I had great results with it when Varget was hard to come by.  Let us know how it shakes out. 

Nice to see another PSA owner  !

Good shooting !!

Before you go to far into reloading for accuracy .... get an adjustable GB, that alone is one of the best add-on's for the PSA.
MUCH softer shooting off the bench, much easier to stay on target, much easier on the brass... much easier on the parts.

One of the Best aftermarket purchases I have ever made, frankly, IMHO just as important as a better trigger..... I have installed them on every .308 and 6.5CM I have worked on... from 12.5" to 22" .

Keep us posted on your results !! Thank You !

• 1 month later...