• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Request: PSA offer upper with adjustable gas block

erichard

From what I've read, these uppers can be (typically are) over-gassed, and the number one suggestion for a mod is installing an adjustable gas block. However, if you install one, you void your warranty, so why not sell them in the first place with an adjustable gas block? I would expect PSA would have fewer complaints and more happy customers. I think that would push sales strongly.

I'd buy one with an adjustable gas block. Same for 6.5 Creedmoor, too.

Edited by erichard

Easier said than done if you have to take the hand guard and muzzle device off, plus if you've  loctited or pinned the gas block it can be a pain. If they put an adjustable gas block in, maybe you wouldn't have to send it back conceivably. Maybe you installed the adjustable gas block poorly, etc. Just not a big deal for them to put it in first, better, with economies of scale. Less headache and heartache, plus, now the adjustable gas block is part of the warranty.

I saw where one guy sent it back with a new adjustable gas block he put on, and they wouldn't cover it, and took the serial number off the warrantied list, even if he sent it in as it came originally at some future point. What a headache.

Edited by erichard

.sheesh dosnt sound like you did your reserch before you modified your gb. its on you bro! make it work. there is plenty to learn here check the psa section.. cant see making a company change there business policy every time someone fooks it up. best of luck.

1 hour ago, sketch said:

.sheesh dosnt sound like you did your reserch before you modified your gb. its on you bro! make it work. there is plenty to learn here check the psa section.. cant see making a company change there business policy every time someone fooks it up. best of luck.

Not me, did the research and now asking PSA sell them with AGB before I buy. Sheesh, doesn't sound like you read the post.

13 minutes ago, erichard said:

Not me, did the research and now asking PSA sell them with AGB before I buy. Sheesh, doesn't sound like you read the post.

i did,  and seems you made a change in gb? if not i read it wrong sorry,  but my last statement stands.. ill add to it. 

what if joe blow is new to the platform? does he know what an agb is or how to tune one? 

why should company x explain complicated shits while complicating a complex item? 

what if you shot said rifle with different ammo than company x tested with? 

all good questions my friend but i dont see psa changing their production for an agb ? thats the long way around the answer.  im not asking them to complicate shits even more than they have already.. the psa 10 platfom has been semi figured out to extent here in the psa section . please add your findings with the agb of your choice as there are many variants.

?

No change to the meaning of my previous posts.

It's not complicated, at least for me. You have 2-4 settings; if one doesn't cycle, open it up more. Doesn't take a genius. What takes a genius is figuring out what to do when the gassing is incorrect and you don't have an adjustable gas block. Plus, the cost of shipping back firearms can be fairly expensive to the customer and PSA (who must ship it back, if not pay both ways). Why not just save everyone some pain and put it on. Probably less than the cost of shipping.

" i dont see psa changing their production for an agb "

Why would you say this. They have already added it to the 6.5 Creedmore. The .308 is the same platform. Not much of a stretch. In fact, I'll bet you some money they do in fact add an adjustable gas block for a slightly more expensive upper, like $50 more. It's just as easy of labor to put the AGB on as the regular, and in volume, the part can't be very expensive wholesale. The number they'd sell would go up with word of mouth.

Why be satisfied with an over gassed gun? This gun was meant to be tuned because they are not Milspec, and so need some tuning to get right.

Edited by erichard

To be blunt... a quality adjustable GB is more important then an adjustable GB.
A cost effective adjustable GB may be more of a hindrance then a blessing... we all have seen the frustration wrought by a lower quality adjust. GB.

Sooo... while a adj. GB would be great...the added cost, in some instances, be a 25% increase in the cost of the bargain upper.
Personally, I would rather add my own choice.

In other words... I'll buy the truck,  ( without the decals )  and I'll add what I want... .. give me a solid base to build on.

To be even more blunt - you shouldn't need any adjustable gas block to get a functioning weapon - it's only there to be more "comfortable" and that's about it.

I hate all the talk about the "mandatory adjustable gas block" on a 308AR.  I have 5 of these things, not one of them has an adjustable gas block, and they all function fine. They ain't harsh on recoil, they don't kick the shiit out of me, and they work.

Are we in a competition here, where we're making money shooting? Sponsors are gonna drop us because our scores were too low last round in the series?  No.

Come shoot my 45-70,and see what recoil feels like.  And those are mild loads... 

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

To be even more blunt - you shouldn't need any adjustable gas block to get a functioning weapon - it's only there to be more "comfortable" and that's about it.

I hate all the talk about the "mandatory adjustable gas block" on a 308AR.  I have 5 of these things, not one of them has an adjustable gas block, and they all function fine. They ain't harsh on recoil, they don't kick the shiit out of me, and they work.

Are we in a competition here, where we're making money shooting? Sponsors are gonna drop us because our scores were too low last round in the series?  No.

Come shoot my 45-70,and see what recoil feels like.  And those are mild loads... 

Lol... I hear you, but I certainly enjoy the lighter recoil impulse from my adj. GB.

And my 1886 Browning kicks pretty stiffly with 405gr Rem and a heavy charge of H322... but not as much as my .458 Lott ;)

Some day, we will have to get together and beat the heck out of our shoulders with those big bores.

Btw.. the .458 Lott with a Hornady 500gr solid shoot straight through 39 1/2 inches of pine tree... and the bullet didn't even deform.

I will have to get my collection ballistic tested bullets from before gel... we used soggy 24hr water soaked newsprint for comparisons. We tested a heck of a lot of rifle and handgun bullets, right around the Black Talon era.

^^^ this. i have one good agb its expensive.( needed for a can)  the other was cheep and ineffective for the problem. i had to open the gas port on the barrel to make it work. psa can do what they want,  its kinda like a bandaid for a good system.. .458 Lott? what barrel length? you bored a hole in a 40'' tree!! 

Edited by sketch
Shits

1 hour ago, bfoosh006 said:

Lol... I hear you, but I certainly enjoy the lighter recoil impulse from my adj. GB.

And my 1886 Browning kicks pretty stiffly with 405gr Rem and a heavy charge of H322... but not as much as my .458 Lott ;)

I'm in.  I'll eat that recoil, all day.  My loads are 405gr silver-cast under 50.0gr 3031, through the 45-70.  That's the "light load."  I'll punish your shoulder with it.

One of these days, you need to make the trek to a shoot out here. You'll fit in with the crowd.  :thumbup:

Adjustable gas blocks on 308ARs are for weenies. 308bolts recoil harder, and that's what real men grew up with.  

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm in.  I'll eat that recoil, all day.  My loads are 405gr silver-cast under 50.0gr 3031, through the 45-70.  That's the "light load."  I'll punish your shoulder with it.

One of these days, you need to make the trek to a shoot out here. You'll fit in with the crowd.  :thumbup:

Adjustable gas blocks on 308ARs are for weenies. 308bolts recoil harder, and that's what real men grew up with.  

:thumbup:

What rifle ?
My .458 Lott is a Ruger single shoot, that started as a .458 Win. Mag. ... I even had it chambered for the Lott before it was "king" of the various other .458 ( lucky choice ! Lol )

Edited by bfoosh006

2 minutes ago, bfoosh006 said:

Yes what brand ? / style ... lever action ? .. if so, you can go higher then 51grs

That's what you think - shoot it and you'll think different.

Here's my kid, takin' a beatin'. I don't load over that, and everyone here that has been on a shoot has dealt with it.

It's MORE than stout, despite what the action can take - and it's more than an asswhoopin'...

You shouldn't have to add an adjustable gas block to a 308AR to make the damn thing function.  If you do, there's something WRONG with your 308AR...

I stand by that, and I've proven that.  5 times over.

Ohhhh, poop ......my chest hurts ..... ya sure ? .... yeah, I'm sure !!

I am frigging laughing out loud ! ...that was awesome !
The first time my big ol' Cop buddy fired my loads with H322 he jabbed his eyebrow... turned to me, double stiff armed the rifle right back to me...and said ... ummm yea ...no thanks !

My Browning doesn't have a sissy pad on the stock .... just good ol' curved steel... my wife can always tell when I have been shooting it from the bruises !!! Lol