• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sig or Griffin? Help Me Decide...

COBrien

Well, I thought I'd made my mind up as to which suppressor I wanted to purchase...

I had my sights set on a Sig SRD762Ti-QD. Even bought a couple of their single-chamber brakes to outfit a couple of rifles. Then I stumbled upon the Griffin Armament 30-SD. It mounts to any (read: "most, probably") A2-style muzzle devices with a latching gate, a la KAC.

I'm looking for a "do-all" rifle suppressor -- .30 caliber, so I can run it on any of my rifles. I like having a choice in muzzle devices. I look at it this way: with the Griffin, I could mount the can to just about any rifle with an A2-style flash hider, comp, etc., without having to change anything. I like that.

The downside is that, well, I've got about $175 tied up in Sig brakes. I could always sell them, though.

The cans are comparable(ish) in size, weight, and price (from a friend of mine, local dealer):

Sig: 8.3" OAL, 1.75" OD, 15.8 oz., $900(ish)

Griffin: 7.6" OAL, 1.5" OD, 19.5 oz., $915(ish)

Published sound reduction specs are similar, though I don't give the published specs much weight.

What say y'all?

i love my sig! same as you were looking at. all that i have but the aac stuff is nice. im going liberty for my pistol can next.. not much help but the sound redux of the sig is real and hard to beat ive heard.. ill buy your two muzzel breakes if you decide for the other?

On 2/28/2018 at 6:50 PM, sketch said:

i love my sig! same as you were looking at. all that i have but the aac stuff is nice. im going liberty for my pistol can next.. not much help but the sound redux of the sig is real and hard to beat ive heard.. ill buy your two muzzel breakes if you decide for the other?

I'll keep you in mind on that. The packages for both have been cut open, because I'm like a 6 year old... when I get new stuff, I have to take it out and look at it. Never mounted/installed. The 1/2-28 brake (SRD762, though -- I double-checked) was threaded on dry one time to mock up my Dissipator project.

I'm seriously leaning toward this Griffin. I just can't argue with the "universal" mounting, with no modifications. If the wife wants to mount it on her PD-issued rifle for range day, she can. If my buddy wants to mount it to his Colt when we're at the range, he can.

"She can can, he can can, we all can can."

• 2 months later...

Welp, shite.

I've decided on the Griffin 30SD. I also have a handful of Black River Tactical Covert Comps on hand, and had planned to run those with the 30SD can.

After contacting Griffin about the specs for muzzle devices the 30SD and M4SD families are compatible with, their reply was "any NATO-spec A2 device will work."

So I contacted Black River Tactical, asking if the Covert Comp was compatible with the "SD" family of Griffin cans. Their reply? "No, it's not compatible with their gate lock system."

So now I'm looking for some sort of brake or comp (that's not a $100 part from Griffin) that will work. I'm not opposed to an A2 on the 5.56 rifles, but my LR-308 is going to need something more brake-like.

I've looked at the KAK comp, the Cav Arms (which I don't believe is available in 5/8-24, but other similar devices are), and that's about it.

Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Doesn't matter as long as you just shoot with the can. The only rounds I have fired without the cans since getting them was to check POI shift.

That is an excellent point. Once I have the can in hand, I doubt I'll be shooting without it...

As soon as I figure out what box I put the 1/2-28 brake in, I’ll shoot you a PM. I laid hands on the 5/8-24 tonight digging around for my SLR SR-30, so I know exactly where it’s at. Lol!

As an aside, I had to remove and reinstall the handguard on my LR-308 tonight — it started creeping around the barrel nut. While I had it apart, I went ahead and threw on an SLR Sentry adjustable block, and then put the SR-30 on there. Now I can sell the SEI Good Iron brake to @AngelDeVille, if he still wants it 5 months after I told him I’d “get around to it one of these days.”

49 minutes ago, COBrien said:

Now I can sell the SEI Good Iron brake to @AngelDeVille, if he still wants it 5 months after I told him I’d “get around to it one of these days.”

I think the canned chicken got his a$s.  He's been AWOL.  I hope he's okay, after eating that monstrosity.