• Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 GEN 2 Tube Marks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to hear you got her running right Bigfoot. Mine took two quarters. JTallen83, if I recall correctly I had a touch less than an 1/8" clearance from the bolt catch. Mine locks back after last round every time. No malfunctions at all with the different mods completed.

9 minutes ago, mley1 said:

Good to hear you got her running right Bigfoot. Mine took two quarters. JTallen83, if I recall correctly I had a touch less than an 1/8" clearance from the bolt catch. Mine locks back after last round every time. No malfunctions at all with the different mods completed.

Thanks brother.H3 buffer is nice.Locks back every try so far.Measurement could be anywhere from .125-.160. + or - a bunch.

Have a set of calipers.Impossible to take measurement with that.Put lines on tooth pick.Bent it 90 degrees.Used calipers to measure tooth pick.

Edited by Bigfoot

1 minute ago, Bigfoot said:

Thanks brother.H3 buffer is nice.Measurement could be anywhere from .125-.160. + or - a bunch.

Have a set of calipers.Impossible to take measurement with that.Put lines on tooth pick.Bent it 90 degrees.Used calipers to measure tooth pick.

I just eye balled it from the opening in the upper. I looked again, and just guessing it's about 1/8" give or take.

10 minutes ago, mley1 said:

I just eye balled it from the opening in the upper. I looked again, and just guessing it's about 1/8" give or take.

That seems to be the sweet spot. When I tried to get another quarter width closer it would catch the carrier instead of the bolt once in awhile.

3/16" is the observed limit on these things, from what we've seen.  Get close, but don't go over.  You guys are good with what you have, unless you radically speed up that BCG - which you shouldn't.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, mley1 said:

Bigfoot, did you put an adjustable gas block on? And, if not, where do your shells eject to? My gun was over gassed pretty bad. So, I needed an adjustable gas block to get ejection to the 3:00 area.

No sir on the adjustable block.Shoulder feels so much better then previously shooting.Anticapte no bruising tomorrow.

Preoccuiped with issue.Did not take note of “brass” ejection.

Buddys coming over tomorrow morning for bloody Mary’s and some shooting.Will take note of ejection.If I had to guess 2:00 o’clock.

Need to build confidence in this 10.Occasionally run into 4 legged creatures that can eat you.Looking to replace 45/70:hail:

Edited by Bigfoot

12 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

No sir on the adjustable block.Shoulder feels so much better then previously shooting.Anticapte no bruising tomorrow.

Preoccuiped with issue.Did not take note of “brass” ejection.

Buddys coming over tomorrow morning for bloody Mary’s and some shooting.Will take note of ejection.If I had to guess 2:00 o’clock.

Need to build confidence in this 10.Occasionally run into 4 legged creatures that can eat you.Looking to replace 45/70:hail:

Sounds like yours wasn't as over gassed as mine was. Mine was beating the hell out of me, and the gun. Plus, ejection was between 12-1:00, with an occasional stove pipe fte. The adjustable gas block was a good fix for that. Once I got the gas adjusted it purs like a kitten. I also added a muzzle brake, m4-72 style. That helped with the recoil and muzzle jump as well. The way mines set up now it's about like shooting my 5.56's. It's a very pleasant gun to shoot. Although, you definitely want to have hearing pro on, even when hunting. This past season I made the mistake of shooting a deer without my ear pro on, and rang my ears a bit. Luckily, it was cold out and I had plenty of head gear on. My stocking hat helped a bunch.

Adding the two extra tungsten weights in the buffer helped a bunch too. Once you get yours where you want it, you'll really enjoy shooting it. I started reloading for mine. And, have a pretty good hunting load worked up now using Varget and Barnes 168grn TTSX bullets.

Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted on how she's doing.

51 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

Ejection is mostly 2:00 o’clock.Occsisinaly 1-3 o’clock.Out of box from PSA.12-1 o’clock ejection & FTE.

She still feels over gased.Its managable now.No brusing on shoulder this morning?.

Those extra tungsten weights slowed her down a bit then. An adjustable gas block makes a big difference too. It was well worth it for me. My barrel, the 18" SS one, came dimpled. And, the Anderson AM15 adjustable gas block was a direct fit. It was real easy to switch it out. It's on the low end of cost for adjustable gas blocks. Even so, it's been working very well for me. My muzzle brake was the last mod I did to the rifle, and it helped as well. In fact, I've put similar muzzle brakes on all of my AR's because I liked it so much.

Like the idea of adjustable gas block.Also have 18” SS barrel.A2 front sight which I would like to keep.Only found one company who makes a adjutable gas block in A2 style.$130ish.Reading up on DIY A2 adjustable gas block tapping & screwing A2 front sights.All sorts of set screw sizes from #6-#10 being used.More research necessary.

Need to wrap this project up soon.Moving on to Cerakote 15 build.

15 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

Like the idea of adjustable gas block.Also have 18” SS barrel.A2 front sight which I would like to keep.Only found one company who makes a adjutable gas block in A2 style.$130ish.Reading up on DIY A2 adjustable gas block tapping & screwing A2 front sights.All sorts of set screw sizes from #6-#10 being used.More research necessary.

Need to wrap this project up soon.Moving on to Cerakote 15 build.

Yea, the A2 front sight will complicate things a bit. If it's running good now it may be best to just run it, especially if you like the A2 sight. Mine was a ff rail, and the low profile gas block. Two screws holding it on. The hardest part was changing over the gas tube from the old gas block to the new gas block. that little roll pin was a pain. Other than that it was an easy swap.

• 11 months later...

This is for new member @Betanio - you've been viewing this topic all night, man.  Send the question already.   It's quite alright to post it right in this thread, zero fear of bringing up old threads. We're here to help, man.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V