• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope Suggestions Please

I went and shot my .308 this weekend. Took a drive and camped at BLM land, it was awesome. The problem was the cheap ass scope I bought. I had an NCstar 50mm 10-40 zoom. I knew it was a piece of crap but thought it would at lease work. After 20 shots it broken, element came loose. I read the reviews about this but figured it was a fluke; nope. Do not buy this brand what ever you do.

So now I'm looking for a decent scope, I think I'm willing to spend $500 and up. I don't want NCStar, Millet, Barska, BSA or Tasco.

I prefer a tactical scope that has a high zoom range for super long distance shooting. It would also be nice if the adjustment knobs lock.

I have one of these SWFA 3-9x42's on my AR10 and I love it.  It is a solid top notch scope! Have about 400 rds through it and no shift in zero.  I have it in an AD-RECON-30 mount - which is ok, but if I had to do it over I would get the LaRue mount.  The AD mount tightening method leaves it either too tight or too loose between settings.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

Check their sample list for riflescopes:

http://www.samplelist.com/

You can get the swfa 3-9 about $100 cheaper when they show up from time to time.  I have bought a Trijicon TX30 and an aimpoint CompM3 demo B's through there and both are great.

I went and shot my .308 this weekend. Took a drive and camped at BLM land, it was awesome. The problem was the cheap ass scope I bought. I had an NCstar 50mm 10-40 zoom. I knew it was a piece of crap but thought it would at lease work. After 20 shots it broken, element came loose. I read the reviews about this but figured it was a fluke; nope. Do not buy this brand what ever you do.

So now I'm looking for a decent scope, I think I'm willing to spend $500 and up. I don't want NCStar, Millet, Barska, BSA or Tasco.

I prefer a tactical scope that has a high zoom range for super long distance shooting. It would also be nice if the adjustment knobs lock.

Hiya    I just scoped in my new nikon 8429 6x24x50 bdc comes with two sets target knobs,sunshade,pop up lens covers..... I think its a keeper

Wash

IMG_0196.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/washguy/IMG_0200.jpg

3 shot group at 100yds  150gr  soft point    500 yd steel here I come <thumbsup>

As said I have a Millet TRS 1 4x16x50 & I will put the clarity of the glass to some of the higher priced scopes. (ones I can't afford )

With a twist of the locking ring at the base of the adj. knob ,it locks the adj knob in place until you want to unlock it & move it .

Very solid scope & sure there are better , but for the price ,its a nice optic.

post-154-136297267636_thumb.jpg

Survial how far is the center axis of your scope from the rail? I am looking using the Larue spr 1.5 but I also am going to use the gen 2 magpul buis under the scope. I am now woundering if I need to use the spr 1.93

i am using the 1.5 larue mount and the gen 1 mbus don't fit. i don't know about the gen 2's

I think the higher mount will definitely work with Gen 1's but maybe we can get someone to post the height difference of the two a models.  I stayed with the 1.5 because I like the height, and I'm waiting for those KAC 45° micro's that imshur posted about to become available.

tHEN YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY TO KNOW i FOUND THIS

Knight's Armament Administrator says:

June 11, 2011 at 08:08

Barry, first off thank you for your interest in our product, and to be honest they are already available to the public. Our shopping area has not been updated so I apologize for any issues concerning purchasing them. If you contact our Commercial Sales Department they will gladly help you. Do not quote me but I believe the sights are approximately $150.00 a piece.

My question is going to be can they be placed on eather side of the rifle with no issues for left and right handed shooters. I do like the idea of these sights but they are pricey to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's my new question, I've got the DPMS upper with 24" Stainless Barrel and want to do long range, up to 1000 yards. What kind of zoom should I be looking for. Normally I would look for the highest zoom possible but I'm not expert on long range shooting, so what is recommended?

Well if you look like any of the rest of us on here you better dress her up REAL nice!! <lmao>

You're killing me <lmao>. I haven't done any shooting out that far, but I feel I could with my 4.5-14 leupold mk4. Bear in mind though I have 18/20 vision in both eyes. Something else to consider is all that magnification is great until you limit your close range abilities.

The old rule of thumb was 1X for each 100 yards.  For combat and hunting, that still allowed for a decent field of view. 

The higher up you go in power, the narrower your FOV gets.  If you are just target shooting, the FOV is a non issue - you know where the target is.  And higher magnificaitons not only magnify the target, they magnify any movement, any little shake, etc.  And higher power also means more weight.  Some of these scopes are pushing or exceeding 3 pounds.  Without the mount. 

With that said, it is nice to have a clearer picture of things at higher magnification.

I see a lot of guys trying to sell their 1.8 X 10 scopes for something with more power.  And manufacturers (S&B and IOR Valdada) out with a 3 X 18 scope. The S&B's are not out yet (multiple delays) and will retail for around $3000.  IOR's are out now and retail for $1999.  US Optics has long had a 3.5 X 17, and with a lighted reticle will set you back anywhere from $2000 to around $2500 (USO is an al la carte menu, and charges for different features).  Nightforce has had a 3.5 X 15 out for a while, and you are probably looking at about $1500 there. 

Lots of 4 X 16 varieties out there, and it is pretty common to see used ones for sale on various forums.  With a wide range of prices - from the Uber premium Hensholdt (if you have to ask how much...) to the premium S&B ($3000) all the way down to ones under $1000.  Used prices on the premium and up are not going to get much of a discount.

I'd take a hard look at Zeiss and Leica - they have superb top quality glass and seem to be reasonably priced.  You of course are limited in the reticles you can choose from, and they don't come with those neat tacticool reticles and features that jack the price of a scope sky high.