• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DSG Arms 22" 6.5CM, Ballistic Advantage in disguse ?

I know this isn't the "right" caliber... ( Lol ) but...

DSG Arms just had "their" 22" Match grade barrel on sale for $200 bucks, shipped.

It is a heavy, thick barrel needing a .936 GB.
DSG Arms specs... https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4001-0015

Features:

• 6.5 Creedmoor
  • 416R Stainless Steel
  • Bead-blasted external finish
  • Nickel Boron coated barrel extension
  • 1:8 Twist Rate
  • 5/8x24 Muzzle Threads
  • HP & MPI Tested
  • .936” Gas Block Seat
  • Weight: 76.8oz
  • Heavy profile
  • 11 Degree recessed target crown
  • Button Rifled
  • Rifle-length gas system

Ballistic Advantage Specs for the same "looking" barrel... https://ballisticadvantage.com/22-inch-65-rifle-ss-premium-barrel.html

Additional Info

Length 22"
    Material 416R Stainless Steel
    Profile Heavy
    Finish Bead Blasted
    Gas System Length Rifle
    Gas Block Journal .936"
    Twist Rate 1:8 inches
    Muzzle 5/8x24 Threaded
    Weight 75.9 oz
    Other Info MPI Tested

For all intents and purposes..  and judging by its profile and specs, I am going to say it probably is a BA barrel.... If anyone can confirm this, I would appreciate it.

I just finished installing it in a PSA upper, polished the feed ramps and deburred the feed ramps, lapped the receiver face,  Loctite'd 609 it in place.

I will allow it to dry ( the Loctite 609 as per instructions ) for 36hrs and try it out on Sunday hopefully.

Some photos...

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

1 hour ago, bfoosh006 said:

the bead blasted surface on the barrel, scuffs super easy, so tape  / protect your barrel prior to dragging your barrel nut or FF tube over it.

Unless you like the used hard look :thumbup: I do my best to beat on my stuff regularly to find that weak point. The QPQ/Nitride finishes seem to be the only one that doesn't pick up marks from handling and use.

Looks just like a BA barrel, brother, all the way down to the font on the barrel inscribing and the logo placement.  I have a couple BA barrels and one Aero Precision barrel (which is definitely a BA barrel), and they are identical to that in appearance, with logo placement before words, font, etc. 

Good on DSG, right there - smart!

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Unless you like the used hard look :thumbup: I do my best to beat on my stuff regularly to find that weak point. The QPQ/Nitride finishes seem to be the only one that doesn't pick up marks from handling and use.

Yeah I don't care if it is beat up, it will never be a safe queen.

Lol, even after the first scuff, I never bothered to tape over the finish... so even more broke in !

I do wonder how bead blasting can so readily...so more a FWIW to those that it matters to.

I never noticed that ^^^, but I'd have to take them apart to find out.  Quite some time ago, AP and BA "merged" in a way.  It wouldn't surprise me that DSG got in on that.  DSG has other companies making other parts for them, as well.  Lemme know if you can tell the difference between the Seekins enhanced bolt catch and the DSG enhanced bolt catch -twins.  Just an example.

BA and AP:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ap/ballistic-advantage/

18 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I never noticed that ^^^, but I'd have to take them apart to find out.  Quite some time ago, AP and BA "merged" in a way.  It wouldn't surprise me that DSG got in on that.  DSG has other companies making other parts for them, as well.  Lemme know if you can tell the difference between the Seekins enhanced bolt catch and the DSG enhanced bolt catch -twins.  Just an example.

BA and AP:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ap/ballistic-advantage/

Yeah... there is a LOT of rebranding amongst the manufacturers.

Upper completely assembled.... one heavy, fat ass upper... Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52 ( ECR-1 Reticle (MOA) I am going to try out... I know , I know.... way to much scope then needed... but I have always been curious.

I will weigh it later... with and with out the scope, and as a fully assembled ( my way ) rifle.... seriously, this thing is frigging heavy ( heavy enough to be not practical to even use as a club ! Lol )

IMG_3298.JPG

Edited by bfoosh006

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...