• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Side Charge .308 AR

Oz

I'm pretty new, so forgive me for asking something that might seem obvious.  I'm friends with a few of the guys from LAR Grizzly.  Because of that relationship, I've watched their side charge OPS4 AR15 uppers develop and go to market and I recently bought one.  I also picked up a 'regular' upper on another AR15 recently.  I can't tell you how annoyed I am having to use the rear charger.  The side charger is so much more convenient and ergonomic.

I've done some research on the .308 AR's and don't see that the side-charge has really "taken off" as much as it has on the AR15 platform.  There are at least 3 or 4 manufacturers doing side charge AR15's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I seeing that a few custom shops are basically modifying a 'regular' .308 AR uppers with a slot then drilling and tapping a charging handle in the bolt.  Has anyone heard of any issues doing this?  It's sounds pretty 'end user' doable with the right tools.

Otherwise, I haven't seen many/any commercially specific built available options for side chargers out there, maybe one?

Final question/thought... has anyone seen a .308 AR upper with a left side/ ambi charger?

Oz

Nice! That's good looking too.  Manufactured as a side charge AND left hand.  It looks to have quite a premium cost, but it fits the bill nicely.  I'm curious why they left the forward assist boss on there.  Actually, that's probably a shell buffer, isn't it...

Just out of curiosity, anyone else making them or is ASA pretty much the cutting edge?

Oz

JP rifles have the left side charging handle. Beautiful design!

Kaiser Mil Tech (are they still around?) made a forward mounted left hand charging handle. Very sexy!!

Both of these designs are independent charging handles... Meaning that when the bolt cycles back and forth, the charging handle does not move. Parts moving on the external surface of a rifle can cause a lot of pain to a misplaced finger.

I'm doing 2 TM10 80% lowers and those left hand charge uppers sure are tempting.  Those independent charging handles put it over the top.  How cool not having the handle move when it cycles.

Thanks for the info!

Oz

All the Fulton gear is on sale, too, until the 8th of August.  10% off i a decent amount of money, if you were looking for a complete upper.  It's even a hell of a deal if you were looking only for the stripped upper receiver and side-charging BCG.  <thumbsup>