• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

7.62 ammo question!?!

DPMSClassicFan

Hello again. I was wondering. Will 7.62x51 NATO shoot better out of my gun than say some match .308s? Or will shooting the same quality of ammo of either rounds make much difference. For example. My rifle is chambered in 7.62nato. Will match 7.62s shoot better than match .308s? Or can I just shoot match .308s out of it. The reason I ask is the difficulty in finding 7.62 match ammo locally. Thanks foray comments need some good ones.  :)

You're opening up a long-lived and lively debate.  It's generally accepted that 7.62x51 has more brass (thicker) at the base.  This increases strength and lessens the liklihood of an extractor ripping the base off.  This happens more often with HK91/G3's/CETME's which use a delayed roller extraction system rather than gas.  Those are BRUTAL on brass.  HK's were my first foray into semi-auto 7.62x51 stuff, so I've read a lot about this.  Along with the thicker, beefier bottom on the NATO rounds, they do hold a bit less powder.  So for some loads, NATO rounds require the powder to be compacted a bit by the bullet during loading.  Of course this is depending on the powder used... higher volume powders needing to be compacted more than others.

So... more accurate...  uh, meh.  Sub MOA with NATO... no problem.  Get some good once-fired Lake City brass, weigh it, size it, trim it, take care hand loading it and you'll out-shoot your .308 average factory load buddies.  Get into real competition that requires the absolute tightest consistency and you'll have to go to match .308 brass like Lapua or Hornady.  Those will give you an edge over Lake City.

Oz

This is a great 7.62x51 loaded Match ammunition.  168 grain OTM. Wonderful ammo, and it's always performed well for me through my .308 Win Match chambered semi.  You can't go wrong with this stuff.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=809

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=713383

I usually pull it for $16 a box/20 at the local Cabela's.

In all honestly here, it's not going to matter what you shoot out of your specific gun, be it .308 Win or 7.62x51 NATO.  Your modern chamber will take either one, with ease on both.  Shoot what you can get your hands on, but finding the right ammo online might still be a better idea. 

Yeah, I kinda beat around the bush on that one.  Your trigger pull and your scope will probably have more to say about the grouping size -rather than the brass you're using  ;D  As long as the brass in consistent in size and weight everything's pretty equal.  Lapua and Hornady make some highly .308 consistent brass.  Federal gm is about as consistent too.

I'm not kidding when I say that before hand-loading, all dimensions are checked and each piece of brass is weighed to ensure the group being loaded is all within a few grains of weight from each other.

Oz

There are some dimensional differences between 308 Win and 7.62 Nato. 

The Nato cartridge will do fine in a 308 chamber for most shooting.  It might be a little loose or experience some fire forming,  but that is not a concern except for critical match or extreme distance shooting.

The fit of the 308 Win cartridge in a Nato chamber can cause serious high pressure conditions. 

The preferred chambering would be for the 308 Winchester.  Or,  adjust handloads to compensate.

This is a minimal summary.  There is a whole lot of technical information and detail out there,  easy to find on-line.

I find it very interesting that the opposite is true of the 5.56 caliber rifle.  There the preferred chambering is the Nato version.  The 223 civilian cartridge will do fine in the military dimensioned chamber but the NATO round can develop dangerous pressures in the civilian chamber.

I find it very interesting that the opposite is true of the 5.56 caliber rifle.  There the preferred chambering is the Nato version.  The 223 civilian cartridge will do fine in the military dimensioned chamber but the NATO round can develop dangerous pressures in the civilian chamber.

True.  I prefer the .223 Wylde chamber for an accurate 5.56 gun, and I've only got that on one barrel/rifle build.  All my others are 5.56 NATO chambers.  My most accurate rifle is a 20" 5.56 NATO chambered precision gun with a heavy barrel and 1:7 twist.  My second most accurate is a 16" midlength gas stainless barrel with a 1"8 twist and the .223 Wylde chambering.  I need to pit the two against each other and see what I can do, just to find out which one is truly more accurate. 

I can say this:  that 20" loves some 77gr Sierra Match HPBTs.  The 16" is better with 68/69gr Match ammo, and does better with it over the 75/77gr offerings. 

I have a new goal...  <thumbsup> <laughs>