• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LAR-8 mid gas tube too long on x-caliber middy barrel w/superlative arms AGB

308ARBuild

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a problem with a build I'm trying to complete.  I have a Gibbz arms G10 upper, an x-caliber 308, 20" mid-length gas system barrel, a superlative arms adjustable gas block, and a RRA LAR-8 mid-length gas tube.

I also have a JP rifles Silent capture spring (H2), JP FMOS BC, and the bolt, pin, spring from X-caliber.

When I first assembled my rifle, I noticed the BCG would not go into full battery.  It goes "home" but will not go into battery.  I have verified this is the case for the BC with and without the bolt installed.  It appears the gas tube is too long, as it extends maybe another 0.25" past the bcg cam pin rotation cutout in the upper receiver.  The gas tube also extends (by visual inspection) too far into the receiver to visually clear the bottom end of the gas key on the BC.

How is a gas tube not standard?

Thanks!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pics, man.  Take a picture of the upper, looking down into it, so we can see how far that gas tube extends into the upper. 

Also, what brand if midlength gas tube did you use on it?  There's a definite solution, here.  Get the pics in here. 

Why X-Caliber is using a midlength gas system on a 20" barrel boggles my mind.

Edited by 98Z5V

20 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Pics, man.  Take a picture of the upper, looking down into it, so we can see how far that gas tube extends into the upper. 

Also, what brand if midlength gas tube did you use on it?  There's a definite solution, here.  Get the pics in here. 

Why X-Caliber is using a midlength gas system on a 20" barrel boggles my mind.

LAR-8 gas tube, mid-length (#308A0011C)

I thought that was clear from my original post, when I stated it.

37 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

RRA part's are proprietary to Rock River . I have a RRA Standard Operator.

Their "mid-length AR gas tube" is proprietary?  Why would they call it "mid-length", make it fit perfectly to every gas block, make the roll pin identical diameter, length, longitudinal location, and orientation, make the bend in exactly the same location, degree, length, and curvature, and make the OAL within 3/4" if it's "proprietary"?

Seems like it's the same gas tube, but maybe a bit longer?

Proprietary means "relating to an owner or ownership", fyi.

1 minute ago, 308ARBuild said:

Proprietary means "relating to an owner or ownership", fyi.

You're full of education lessons here. 

Do you know the exact length of that RRA gas tube, end to end?  If not, can you find those dimensions?  I'm not aware that they use proprietary gas tubes in their LAR-8 .308 ARs, but they might.  If you don't know that length, and can't find that length, do you have the capability to remove the gas tube and measure it?

That will be the only way to figure out what's going on here.  The cam pin cutout appears to be in the normal location, without measurements.  What is this "thing" on your gas tube in this pic?  What is that, that's rubbing against the inside of your upper?

1317095203_weirdassgastube.jpg.fb1dfed722e0cd35a94267b02fe1855b.jpg

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Do you know the exact length of that RRA gas tube, end to end?  If not, can you find those dimensions?  I'm not aware that they use proprietary gas tubes in their LAR-8 .308 ARs, but they might.  If you don't know that length, and can't find that length, do you have the capability to remove the gas tube and measure it?

That will be the only way to figure out what's going on here.  The cam pin cutout appears to be in the normal location, without measurements.  What is this "thing" on your gas tube in this pic?  What is that, that's rubbing against the inside of your upper?

That's a great point.  I did not explain what a Gibbz upper is, and for that I apologize.  It's a side-charging upper receiver employing a specialized cam pin to engage the BCG to charge, and is non-reciprocating.  That tab you have highlighted is the tab that catches on their special cam pin (with a raised portion to catch on that tab).

I do not know the length of the tube.  That will require me to take it back apart. (not a big deal, but I probably won't tonight).  I'll pull it apart tomorrow and let you know.  In the meantime, I did order a "DPMS" middy gas tube from Midway yesterday, just in case the LAR-8 was the culprit here.  We'll see.

In the meantime, thanks for the help, everyone! I'll update! (with pics)

2 minutes ago, 308ARBuild said:

In the meantime, I did order a "DPMS" middy gas tube from Midway yesterday, just in case the LAR-8 was the culprit here.  We'll see.

You might need an Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube here - that all depends on where X-Caliber placed the gas port in this barrel.  They're not well known for great gas port diameters, either, so you might want to measure the diameter of the gas port while you've got this thing apart- especially on a 20" midlength system.  This is quite the combination of parts, no two from the same manufacturer.  What's your recoil system look like, for parts?...

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Also, you are being extremely helpful despite me being a smarta$$,  and I appreciate it. I apologize for that comment, and do sincerely appreciate your help! 

Just now, 308ARBuild said:

Also, you are being extremely helpful despite me being a smarta$$,  and I appreciate it. I apologize for that comment, and do sincerely appreciate your help! 

You're lucky - I was going to tell you to fuk off.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You might need an Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube here - that all depends on where X-Caliber placed the gas port in this barrel.  They're not well known for great gas port diameters, either, so you might want to measure the diameter of the gas port while you've got this thing apart- especially on a 20" midlength system.  This is quite the combination of parts, no two from the same manufacturer.  What's your recoil system look like, for parts?...

Gas port lines up with gas block supplied by x-caliber (SA) pretty nicely.  Gas block slides on nice and tight onto barrel.  I don't know many barrel manufacturers that make gas tubes/gas blocks?  I'm guessing that's an insult, but I don't understand it....

Recoil system (which has literally nothing to do with BCG/bolt battery) is JP SCS H2/FMOS BC in A2 tube.  This has literally nothing to do with the issue.  The issue exists shotgunned/split.  I don't get the need to try to slam my set-up.

1 minute ago, 308ARBuild said:

Recoil system (which has literally nothing to do with BCG/bolt battery) is JP SCS H2/FMOS BC in A2 tube.  This has literally nothing to do with the issue.  The issue exists shotgunned/split.  I don't get the need to try to slam my set-up.

You've pieced everything together from a bunch of different manufacturers, on a platform that has no set standard.  The reason I asked about your recoil system is for future issues down the road - as recoil system problems are quite common on this platform, that has no standard to follow.  Any monkey off the street can make parts, "custom parts" and bullshiit parts - and we see it all.

I asked that question, for YOUR benefit - to head off problems down the road, once THIS problem is solved.  I hope you can understand that.

6 minutes ago, 308ARBuild said:

I don't get the need to try to slam my set-up.

When exactly was I "slamming your setup?"  When was that, again?

You need to understand something, and fast.  You come here looking for information, help for your problem.  We'll give you that.  If you're a dickhead, you won't get help.  We don't work like that, here - and that's what you need to understand.  If you get all defensive, butthurt, and pissed off, that's on you.  You stated information, we ask for more information, you get defensive - and you can just go.  Bye.

You haven't even made an intro yet, and told anyone here about yourself - we're a community.  Not your information slaves.  We owe you nothing.  If we have information that you need - we don't HAVE to give it to you.  Do you understand that?

Drop your attitude.  Go make an intro - and before you do, read this:

The comment about the mix and match of parts was nowhere close to an insult. Merely a statement of fact. It's not just the barrel, tube and block. If you have the thing apart, measure the diameter of the gas port. It will be worth knowing as you straighten out the bugs in your build. 

Edited by DNP

14 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You've pieced everything together from a bunch of different manufacturers, on a platform that has no set standard.  The reason I asked about your recoil system is for future issues down the road - as recoil system problems are quite common on this platform, that has no standard to follow.  Any monkey off the street can make parts, "custom parts" and bullshiit parts - and we see it all.

I asked that question, for YOUR benefit - to head off problems down the road, once THIS problem is solved.  I hope you can understand that.

You mean, I bought the best/compatible components from everything available?

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

The comment about the mix and match of parts was nowhere close to an insult. Merely a statement of fact. It's not just the barrel, tube and block. If you have the thing apart, measure the diameter of the gas port. It will be worth knowing as you straighten out the bugs in your build. 

It's not apart.  I can do that, just not tonight.  I'll take it down again tomorrow.  My entire goal in coming here was to get confirmation that the gas tube was too long.  To which, no one is even willing to speculate.  Even though my pic shows it's too long?

3 minutes ago, 308ARBuild said:

It's not apart.  I can do that, just not tonight.  I'll take it down again tomorrow.  My entire goal in coming here was to get confirmation that the gas tube was too long.  To which, no one is even willing to speculate.  Even though my pic shows it's too long?

Oh, that gas tube is WAY TOO FUCKING LONG.  I'll confirm that right now.  That RRA LAR-8 gas tube.  In a DPMS-based weapon. That possibly has a barrel with a gas port in the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas system location.  I'll confirm that for you.

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm on several forums as a member.  This one has to be one of the top weirdest....  That's not an insult.

I actually don't even know what to think about this forum right now....

....backs slowly into corner......

.....but seriously, I'll leave.

....gas tube is too long, right?