• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision M5 AR10 ammo choices

140gr

More details on caliber would be necessary, based on your first post, and this is predominantly a .308 Winchester-based board.  You can understand that, I'm sure.

Yes, though, there are tons of M5 sets on here that have been built up, in multiple calibers.  More specific details in what you're exactly looking for would be greatly helpful.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:06 PM, 98Z5V said:

More details on caliber would be necessary, based on your first post, and this is predominantly a .308 Winchester-based board.  You can understand that, I'm sure.

Yes, though, there are tons of M5 sets on here that have been built up, in multiple calibers.  More specific details in what you're exactly looking for would be greatly helpful.

Sorry I meant to include that. 6.5 creedmoor.

Sellier and Bellot 140gr FMJBT is the most cost effective and reliable tactical ammo, if you don't mind shooting Euro trash now owned by a Brazilian company.  Never bother with anything that has a soft tip in an semi-auto.  Like Hornady white tail SP.  Maintaining concentricity is the ammo side of accuracy.  Even ELDs and BTHPs will deform slightly from contact with the feed ramps or the chamber counterbore.  Even a slight ding will open the group.  Federal Fusion seems to hold even with its funky tip.  The ding does not manifest all the time but I would bet on a flier in one in ten.  The S&B 140 has a G1BC at .548 and is supersonic out to 1300 yards.  The best factory ammo is the Hornady 147gr ELD-M with a G1BC .697 supersonic out to 1650 on standard conditions, using 22" barrels.   So you give up some performance with the S&B but reduced flier potential.   Hope this helps.

Edited by Phantom30

On 2/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

What barrel manufacturer on that one?  Looks like 20" rifle gas, is that correct?

Aero Precision uses Ballistic Advantage head blasted barrels, that's what this is. I think medium/heavy contour? I believe it's a 22". Ballistic Advantage has a good reputation for an affordable quality barrel.

1 hour ago, Phantom30 said:

Sellier and Bellot 140gr FMJBT is the most cost effective and reliable tactical ammo, if you don't mind shooting Euro trash now owned by a Brazilian company.  Never bother with anything that has a soft tip in an semi-auto.  Like Hornady white tail SP.  Maintaining concentricity is the ammo side of accuracy.  Even ELDs and BTHPs will deform slightly from contact with the feed ramps or the chamber counterbore.  Even a slight ding will open the group.  Federal Fusion seems to hold even with its funky tip.  The ding does not manifest all the time but I would bet on a flier in one in ten.  The S&B 140 has a G1BC at .548 and is supersonic out to 1300 yards.  The best factory ammo is the Hornady 147gr ELD-M with a G1BC .697 supersonic out to 1650 on standard conditions, using 22" barrels.   So you give up some performance with the S&B but reduced flier potential.   Hope this helps.

No that doesn't help.. It helps a LOT ?

Fortunately a local shops has that same s&b on sale for $12/box, another shop is $16.95/box. Either way that's what you would pay for the least expensive brass cased.308 ammo at walmart, around $15-$17/box (yes I know we're talking about 6.5 creedmoor).

I shot my rifle for the 1st time last week. New rifle, new scope, scope base. And still, my first shots were about 4" left of dead center. Easy sighting in! I used Federal gold medal berger (130gr OTM I believe), and got a 7 round group within 5/8" @ 100 yards (see pic). My groups began to grow, although

1. I was pretty shaky that day,

2. The Magpul gen3 PRS stock is too long for me to get comfortable behind my rifle. Even with the stock fully closed. I am definitely selling it and getting a UBR adjustable stock. 

3. When I got home and cleaned my barrel I noticed the scope mount and rings were all a little loose, enough that the mount had a slight wiggle. 

So I am going to properly torque everything down before shooting next - I just got a Wheeler torque driver setup. MUCH more compact and easy to use over the 1.5 foot torque wrench I was trying to use that required adapter bits etc. What a pain that was ? . Definitely selling that mammoth of a torque wrench, too.

Next shoot I'll def use S&B.

I went to take the gen3 PRS stock offmy rifle and I have no idea what I'm doing. There is no manual online,  no disassembly instructions, videos, or pages. Going to call Magpul. Arrrrrg

Worst group was 5 rounds within roughly 2". However it was my 1st time shooting it, the trigger (even though it's a Velocity trigger) has more creep than I would like and I was shooting a little quick, was very uncomfortable due to the stock so my posture was probably off, AND my scope was loose. Regardless, it's important to me to post my best and worst group to show the rifle's potential but to also show that I am human and I make mistakes. It never helps new shooters's self esteem when all they see are tight sub-moa groups from everyone online. Everyone makes mistakes and it takes practice with the right shooting habits to be able to shoot well consistently.

The end.

20190219_133512.jpg

20190219_132752.jpg

5 hours ago, 140gr said:

Aero Precision uses Ballistic Advantage head blasted barrels, that's what this is. I think medium/heavy contour? I believe it's a 22". Ballistic Advantage has a good reputation for an affordable quality barrel.

I'm well aware, I have several BA barrels. One of them that I ordered actually arrived, marked as an Aero Precision barrel -- since it was an all Aero build, that was a bonus.  :thumbup:

On 2/25/2019 at 5:41 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm well aware, I have several BA barrels. One of them that I ordered actually arrived, marked as an Aero Precision barrel -- since it was an all Aero build, that was a bonus.  :thumbup:

Just answering your question. ?

Edited by 140gr

On 2/25/2019 at 5:41 PM, 98Z5V said:

That is interesting that the barrel was marked Aero Precision.

30 minutes ago, Phantom30 said:

This is the range evidence for what I was talking about in terms of chambering affected concentricity.  Heartbeat problems on the S&B rounds, old guy hard to slow it down anymore.1739546307_Tipdefomationrangeresults.thumb.JPG.37fb3415578a817e63a832b7d7679dc4.JPG

That's a crazy group! Was that at 100 yards? Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if certain barrel manufacturers use different feed angles to prevent this type of problem with 6.5 AR10s. 

I am ditching the PRS stock and have a Magpul UBR gen 2 stock on the way. Can't wait to have it all finished! I had to ordera different buffer for the UBR since it's a different length buffer tube. Hoping I don't run into cycling issues but I have been talking with Slash / Clint @ HeavyBuffers.com so I think I'm in good hands. Anyone here use a UBR stock?

It may have to do with the barrel extensions being either M4 or LR308, either way I don't think they match up with the Creedmoor distance between the tip and shoulder.  May be  98Z5V has experience with that, but it is even worse with 6mm Creedmoor where the bullet is even thinner allowing it to fall deeper into the feed ramp.

Edited by Phantom30

• 2 years later...

I own an aero precision M5 18” stainless steel  Aero barrel Magpul stock Geissel trigger. vortex viper 4x16 scope. I count the find 7.62x 51 so I bought Winchester  super match 155.5 grain  Berger 2910 ft/sec . I was reading the the Berg Bullets are to long to fit in Magpul mags ans will not cycle in Semi auto. Will only Work in Bolt action one at a time.   Then I read you can reseat the bullets. I have a FORSTER CO-AX AND .308 seating dies.  I have about 700 spent casting but cannot find Smokless power, Varget, RL15, IMR 4895, to reload.

Has anyone shot a Winchester .308  155.5 grain match Bullet ? The ammunition  Bullet seated cartridge measures 2.93in using my Franklin Micrometer. 
Swift and Barnes reloading Manuel’s show a cartridge , maxim cartridge length 2.81 in. 

Hogden show a c.o.l. 2.775 for a 155 grain Sierra HPBT.   The Winchester Berg cartridges  measure 

Will the match grade Bergs work, cycle  in a AeroPrecision 5 , with Magpul .

4 hours ago, Carl said:

Will the match grade Bergs work, cycle  in a AeroPrecision 5 , with Magpul .

Best thing to do is buy the Berger Reloading Manual - trust it's information for it's own projectiles, over every other manual reference out there.

The Berger 185gr Juggernaut can be loaded to magazine length, and Federal loads that in a Gold Medal Match loading. I've shot them out of a .308AR, and can tell you they work.  I don't think there's any way in the world to make a 155.5gr projectile physically longer than a 185gr projectile, given the same diameter.  You just need to find the right load data for that projectile - and that's gonna come from Berger themselves.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I know this thread is old but I have a question. I bought an AR10 Aero .308. I went to test it out and got only a click on the trigger. Couple Times I was able to pull the charging handle and eject the round but other times I had to mortar the rifle to get the round out. Using cheap 147 gr .308. Magazine is 7.62x51 pmag. Could magazine be the issue? Never got it to fire. Only other time I had this exact issue was when I tried using subs in my 300 blackout without a suppressor. Makes me think it could be a gas issue but hoping it’s just the ammo I was using but really have no idea. This is my first AR10.