• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why I love the Mk12...

98Z5V

17 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Throw lever??  Wad I win,  Wad I win.  Did I win,  Did I win.  LOL

That's not it, brother.  Look closer...   @blue109 is gonna nail this one, and bust me out...    :laffs::thumbup:

I also lied (deceived?) about a number earlier.  I have another BA Mk12 SPR barrel - on a gun I haven't announced yet...  It's still a secret..  :embarrassed:

Edited by 98Z5V

The only difference I might have seen are the screws.  I've seen set screws and screws with knurled heads.  I'm done.  The only thing I enjoyed while visiting the dentist as a child is the "HIGHLIGHT" magazine that contained the two similar pictures and we had to find the difference between them.  I lost this one. Boo hoo hoo.

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It indeed is. Work of Art, and Function.  :thumbup:  Sharp eyes will catch something very specific in the pics of this front sight here...   :laffs:

P1080455.thumb.JPG.b7908fd1d22a50f0d2baa2ca8d28fd94.JPG

P1080456.thumb.JPG.da18c01175eaccfd3127f2888fbe1c1f.JPG

I'm with @blue109 on this.  I'll never, ever use any Dick Swan parts, ever.  There are people that go crazy using exact this-and-that, and I respect that.  I'll never do it.  I'll use correct major components, but I'll always default to my own personal preferences on a gun, too.  Mk12 Mod 0 needs to be running the PRI handguard.  Check.  It also spec's a specific top rail - that I'll never use - but I'll use the PRI top rail, all day long.  IMHO, I don't want to build a 100% period-correct weapon - I want the performance of that weapons platform. 

Another example - Mod 1s used the KAC rail.  Yeah, I get it - I'd rather have the LaRue rail on there, and still make the gun function, as it was functionally designed.

I'll stick to the principle of the gun - not the specific choice in it's original parts list.

My Mk12 Mod 0 top, Mk12 Mod 1 middle, Mk12 Mod H bottom:

2095139773_Mk12Madness.thumb.JPG.0466d96e9f5285cf8db3f1ce59d62c03.JPG

The Mod H is a 6.5 Grendel, and it smokes the other two.  Badly.

Where is the adjustment for the post? The new ones have a thumb wheel

15 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

Where is the adjustment for the post? The new ones have a thumb wheel

The very first ones were the ones with the thumb wheel, and they're rare as hen's teeth, and CRAZY EXPENSIVE.  Very few were made.  I think they make a retro kit now, so you can convert your (one like the ones I have) to make them look like those original few. 

You adjust this just like any other AR fixed front sight - with a sight tool. 

So, quick check of the website - I see that they brought the original back, adjustment wheel, makes it tool-less adjustment.  Fuk me, I need that on my Mod 0 gun.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1359628&CAT=12357

641586027_PRIoriginalfrontsight.png.2b343f66dfb0d84b9b433b2e55590a0f.png

Yeah - here's the conversion part - this was out less than a year ago.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1361255&CAT=12357

Looks like the Gen 2s that I have are discontinued - so I've got the rare ones now...    :lmao::banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

Got to be honest here my man....I dont see anything different with that FSGB other than clamp vs set screw and you using it on an M5 rail with an endcap.  If im missing something obvious im going to blame the fact that im distracted getting ready to travel tomorrow

Or are you hinting at a SAM-Rish build that is currently on the workbench?

Edited by blue109

I will say I never refer to mine as a MK12. while I have the look and several of the major components, its far from clone worthy. Most clone nerds will agree it MUST at a minimum have the SPR profile barrel with the Ops Inc brake and collar. Im running a ER shaw med contour fluted match barrel. Its amazing and makes tiny groups with 77gr OTM as well as 45gr ballistic tip ammo. Wont be changing that barrel out just to check the cool kid block. Its also built on a mega billet receiver set witch is a big nope for the purists because I built this gun during the great drought of 2012 and it was the only parts around. Again, not going to rip an awesome gun apart just for cosmetic reasons. 

2014-12-30 16.57.39.jpg

11 hours ago, blue109 said:

Got to be honest here my man....I dont see anything different with that FSGB other than clamp vs set screw and you using it on an M5 rail with an endcap.  If im missing something obvious im going to blame the fact that im distracted getting ready to travel tomorrow

Or are you hinting at a SAM-Rish build that is currently on the workbench?

You fuckin' NAILED IT!!!   :banana:   I knew you would, too  - handguard endcap, not a free-floated barrel - KNEW you'd catch that...   :lmao:

M16A4, my way.  This is how I would have an M16A4 - if that's what I had to carry - modified by my badass unit Armorers, if I had access to my badass unit Armorers whilst stuck with an A4 gun.  :thumbup: 

P1080457.thumb.JPG.f3faba5318e1f27aab60ea4f51266452.JPG

9 hours ago, blue109 said:

I will say I never refer to mine as a MK12. while I have the look and several of the major components, its far from clone worthy. Most clone nerds will agree it MUST at a minimum have the SPR profile barrel with the Ops Inc brake and collar. Im running a ER shaw med contour fluted match barrel. Its amazing and makes tiny groups with 77gr OTM as well as 45gr ballistic tip ammo. Wont be changing that barrel out just to check the cool kid block. Its also built on a mega billet receiver set witch is a big nope for the purists because I built this gun during the great drought of 2012 and it was the only parts around. Again, not going to rip an awesome gun apart just for cosmetic reasons.

I'm with you, exactly, about that. My Nordic barrel isn't coming off that Mod 0 until it's shot out.  No way.  My PRI top PEQ rail isn't coming off toput on a Swan Sleeve, either.  Same with my PRI rear sight, same reason.  That gun works so well, it would be crazy to rip it apart.  I'm with you, brother.  I'll definitely call my Mod 0 a Mk12 Mod 0, even if it isn't military clone-perfect.  Same with the Mod 1.  My Mod H needs work to get it there, though.

Edited by 98Z5V

Fire. Ive almost turned my A2 into an A4 build a few times now but I like the OG. ill have to accidently run across a KAC rail like you did and birth one around it lol. On a related note, pretty sure my A2 is built on @Sisco old upper he referenced above 😉

The stock, recoil system, handguard, BCG and gas tube, came from various brohams here as well. It was a family build. Possibly flash too but I dont remember. 

Edited by blue109

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

Fire. Ive almost turned my A2 into an A4 build a few times now but I like the OG. ill have to accidently run across a KAC rail like you did and birth one around it lol. On a related note, pretty sure my A2 is built on @Sisco old upper he referenced above 😉

The stock, recoil system, handguard, BCG and gas tube, came from various brohams here as well. It was a family build. Possibly flash too but I dont remember. 

It is 👍