• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

lol you aren't kiddin about that.  Just guessing because I don't have a scale readily accessible but I would say mine is even heavier than that because I decided I wanted it to be a little more balanced rather than so barrel heavy and added a stock weight.  They make those babies stout.  My Pelican 1750 cases is no lightweight either ;D What kind of case are you using?

I had my LR-308 barrel recontoured to .750 and left it 24" long. With a PEPR mount and a Leup 2.5-8 scope, and Burris Fastfire backup sight, it weighs 10.5 lbs. Still too heavy for a hunting rifle I think. I just put a ARFX tubing stock on it, should take off another 4 oz but thats not much. Maybe a carbine length carbon fiber forend? Most off the weight is in the barrel and bolt carrier and I don't want to cut down the barrel any more. Maybe some one will come out with a titanium bolt carrier or something.

• 5 months later...

I don't know exactly what mine will weigh when I'm through with the build. So far its sporting a 24" free floated stainless steel bull barrel, a rifle length rail system, bi-pod, A2 stock and a massive scope.

I do remember "creeping" through the bush around Camp LeJune with a Remington "M40" (700) for miles in the sun and under the moon. This LR308 is at least as heavy if not more  but I think I could manage it in the bush if need be. That being said, I remember what an instructor said once to another trainee who was griping about his sling getting hung up on underbrush, he said "a rifle without a sling is about like a pistol without a holster". Even though my rifle its a fricking "beast", I think that with a sling the weight problem could be endured to take it hunting.

But I wouldn't rule out the use of a good 4 wheeler to get me and the gun within range of the intended target  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If you practice shooting offhand, it will get easer in time. You will build the strength needed in time. Lets say you practice the stance for half an hour a day just bringing it up and holding as long as you can. I'd say that you would be able go to the range and shoot off hand with ease  with in a month. Just a matter of conditioning.