• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best barrel length for hunting.

I'm wanting to build a AR-10 for deer hunting and want to know the best barrel length to go with. I'm thinking probably the 22" or 24" but their seems to be alot more 20" barrels to choose from. I probably won't be taking shots over 150 yards. I'm not a big hunter and haven't owned but a handful of rifles so any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Gamecockbred said:

I probably won't be taking shots over 150 yards.

Just now, jtallen83 said:

16 inch barrel will do fine for you at that range.

I'd hunt the hell out of my 13.5" if I was never going over 150 yards.  I'd hunt that thing to 300 yards without question.  No way would I go over a 16" .308 Win AR barrel for that distance.  No way.

25 minutes ago, Gamecockbred said:

I'm wanting to build a AR-10 for deer hunting and want to know the best barrel length to go with. I'm thinking probably the 22" or 24" but their seems to be alot more 20" barrels to choose from. I probably won't be taking shots over 150 yards. I'm not a big hunter and haven't owned but a handful of rifles so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Give a little more info on the intended uses of the rifle, just as important as how far the shot might be is how far the carry might be. I have a real heavy 20 inch build that is accurate but I don't even like carrying to the bench, got the barrel cheap because it was too heavy for their hunting needs. These things can turn into real beasts by the time you get optics on them.

I’m on par with everyone else here. The 16” barrel is perfect out to 400, and 18” will get you to 500 with terminal performance (800 yards on steel)

About 5 years ago I retired my old Mossberg 4x4 .308 that I’d been using since I was a teenager. 25 years with that rifle, and I had never shot an animal beyond 250 yards. When I realized this, I changed over to a Ruger GSR as my primary hunting rifle.

Go with a 16” and shoot Hornady 150gr AMAX. You can harvest everything under 500 pounds with that. If you’re hunting animals bigger than that, you need a bigger bullet, not a longer barrel.

• 3 months later...

I'd go short and light profile for hunting, even for longer distances.  I use a 14.7" barreled 308 AR and it's deadly at any reasonable hunting distance, plus well balanced and goes across the scales at 10 pounds.  Initially weight doesn't seem like a big deal, but you'll be remarkable surprised how heavy one of these rifles can be compared to similar build on an AR-15 platform......Cliff

IMG_3438.JPG

I have killed about everything their is to kill elk bear deer coyotes etc all with a 16 inch barrel..... here is the deal, these guns are HEAVY!!!!!! and so the more barrel you add the worse it gets I would not hesitate to shoot a deer or elk at 500 yards and I have killed elk at 376.... one shot kills so don't overload yourself a 16 is all you need, the guys on this forum will tell you I speak with a straight tongue no BS