• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

red dot comparo

I looked and could not find a post of this nature. What I'm looking for is first hand opinions on aimpoints vs eotech sights.  I'm looking at putting one or the other on my Pws as my primary optic, and I want first hand discriptions as why you may prefer one over the other. Weaponizer, I would really like to hear from you on your recent pro purchase.

Here is a picture of it mounted, i haven't gotten to the range yet, but other than that i like it, and i like the fact that its a 2moa dot, i can still see the target behind it, it has about 9 settings and 3 of them are for night vision, it has a unique mounting knob, it rachets 3 times for the proper mounting torque...

1022581.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Really like my Eotech ....only drawbacks compared to Aimpoint are size and battery life..Aimpoint has that market cornered....T-1 is a great little sight but doesn't co-witness well to me..seems too small.....have the riser on the Eotech that puts sights in lower 1/3 of window.gives less cluttered view of the circle - dot reticle....guess I prefer it cuz you don't have the perception of looking " through " a sight...haven't used any of the Comp Aimpoints so can't compare, comment on them...lot of them being put to good use right now though in rough conditions

i'm going to compare your responses to this post, i want opinionated responses because i haven't used either. the closest i have used is the sightmark red dot on my gsg 5, which i like but is a much smaller profile and less rugged design and won't hold up under .308 conditions. i really do like that PRO,weaponizer, and your pics are great. i want to put it in a larue LT129 mount.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=534

this is what i'm looking at along with this light combo

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=514

to go on this

post-644-136297268278_thumb.jpg

yes, i like the larue mount, and i think i'm going to do a bulk purchase with the light combo too. i want to finish this rifle before i decide whether or not my next one, my first build, will be a 5.56 or 7.62, using a ma-ten or a pre-ban 15 lower, ect ect ect. like you i live in a ban state, next door in mass, and wouldn't mind having a sbr or even a rifle with a collapsable stock . Surprised no one is jumping in on this as much as I thought. I may get the PRO

I looked and could not find a post of this nature. What I'm looking for is first hand opinions on aimpoints vs eotech sights. 

I had them both issued to me in a past military life.  I like them both for different reasons and different missions. 

I prefer the Aimpoint if it's the 2MOA dot, especially for an all around red dot.  Mount it forward, run a PVS-14 on the upper receiver behind it, and it's one sweetass setup. 

I never did try to run night vision behind the EOTech.  Mounting options at the time sucked, and it wasn't even worth it to try - let alone the confusing reticle when everything is bright green, other shades of green, and gray.  The Aimpoint was better in this role.  Things might have changed by now, with different mounts for the EOTech, but I never had any. 

Now, I prefer the EOTech standard reticle for everything else.  That 65MOA circle with a 1MOA dot inside is awesome in alot of roles.  Anything close, just get it in the big circle and you're good, and you've still got a tiny little dot for longer distance targets. 

You can damage an Aimpoint to the point that you won't get anything in the reticle.  You can put a bullet through the middle of the EOTech, and you'll still have the holograph visible in the broken glass.

Aimpoint kicks EOTechs ass when it comes to battery life, starting the the Comp M3 models and up.  Even the older Comp M2s were better than the first-gen EOTechs, before EOTech got slightly better about battery consumption.

I'll go dig for a pic, so I'll be back...

Edit - couldn't find the Afghanistan pics, but I'll keep digging.  I was looking for a couple pics that show the 14 mounted behind the Aimpoint.    Now, having used both before, and the Aimpoint extensively, I don't personally own one right now.  I did, however, spend my money on the EOTech 512 last year.  I like them both, but at the time, my money went to the 512. 

512-1.jpg

512-2.jpg

Thank you 98z5v, good points. I guess I need to try to find one to look through. Have you tried the xps models at all? I like the smaller size for weight savings but I wonder if the sight iis smaller. Also is it worth getting the magnifiers for either set up? It always seemed to me if it'd flipped to the side it would be distracting or flopping around,  and not sure if its worth the investment.

I had not replied to this post prior to now because since I've never owned the Aimpoint, I couldn't offer a preference for you. I do have the XPS and magnifier on one of my guns and think it's a good set up. I have never found the FTS mount visually annoying. I like the big window of the XPS, and as already stated above, the dot w circle is good for rapid sight acquisition. I switched from the 3X Eotech magnifier because I wanted more magnification, with the higher power the Eotech reticle gets BIG in the widow, but I didn't find it to be a problem with the 3X. I have found that using two independent optics instead of the piggybacked magnifier, allows me to zero to 2 different ranges, which is helpful with the 300 BLK, but maybe less so with .223.

post-164-136297268311_thumb.jpg

I had he Eotech 557and fts magnifier.  The 557 had a ballisticly calibrated reticle for 300,400,500,600 meters. I think they make it for. 308 as well. I sold the setup for another rifle and was unsure about sighting the magnifier itself. I loved it and bought another Eotech. An xps2-0 this time. I noticed the dots don't seem so precise but it is very nice. I like the field of view.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pics are from my phone but I finished zeroing the xps  today for 50 yards, give or take at my friends house. shot a ten rd mag for the group standing with both eyes open, which i am still getting used to. also shot my gsg5 and my glock 21. very happy with my new glock, i was shooting a 2" pipe we stuck in the ground at 50 yds, can't beat that!  ;D

post-644-136297270162_thumb.jpg

shot a ten rd mag for the group standing with both eyes open, which i am still getting used to.

Takes a little while, with the red dots, but once you get used to it, you'll find it's much, much faster to get on target for the initial round, and in the transitions from target to target.  <thumbsup>