Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Cunuckgaucho

6.5 Grendal Recipies

Recommended Posts

Guess who made some Grendel brass from 7.62x39. 

Formed 30 , trimmed one. It is pretty much perfect. 1.512" trim length. Neck thickness 0.011" - 0.012"

Have Hornady, Winchester, Federal brass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I formed and trimmed 132 cases of Winchester and Hornady 7.62x39 brass into 6.5 Grendel brass. When sizing the Hornady brass the shoulder buckeled on a dozen cases.. it wasn't my technique but weak brass. Each was shinny and from the same lot. After sizing most was between 1.516" and 1.524" , neck thickness was 0.011" to  0.012". Going to use Winchester Large rifle primers to fire form the cases. 

Next up are the Federal cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Today I formed and trimmed 132 cases of Winchester and Hornady 7.62x39 brass into 6.5 Grendel brass. When sizing the Hornady brass the shoulder buckeled on a dozen cases.. it wasn't my technique but weak brass. Each was shinny and from the same lot. After sizing most was between 1.516" and 1.524" , neck thickness was 0.011" to  0.012". Going to use Winchester Large rifle primers to fire form the cases. 

Next up are the Federal cases.

That's usually from lube/too much lube, on the shoulder.  Like hydraulic pressure - the lube doesn't compress, but that brass does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's usually from lube/too much lube, on the shoulder.  Like hydraulic pressure - the lube doesn't compress, but that brass does. 

Ok, but other Hornady cases before and after didn't buckle . Happened though out the sizing of 50 pieces. I will take pictures of the cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Ok, but other Hornady cases before and after didn't buckle . Happened though out the sizing of 50 pieces. I will take pictures of the cases.

I do it all the time - if it's what I'm thinking is happening.  It happens more often right after I put new lube on the pad and roll the first couple rows of brass hard.  I load 'em anyway, and fire-form that little dent right out of that brass...   :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a box of Sierra 120 gr Spritzers and  a box of Hornady 129 gr SST's today . Along with some Winchester LRP's. Just need to pick out a powder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I do it all the time - if it's what I'm thinking is happening.  It happens more often right after I put new lube on the pad and roll the first couple rows of brass hard.  I load 'em anyway, and fire-form that little dent right out of that brass...   :thumbup:

Don't think I will load them. Why is it only the Hornady brass did that ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Don't think I will load them. Why is it only the Hornady brass did that ???

 

Got a pic of what they look like?  I can figure out what happened if I can see the brass, brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Got a pic of what they look like?  I can figure out what happened if I can see the brass, brother.

Will take pictures of the brass in the morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type and method of lube are you using? 

I use the DIY lanolin spray method , the video covers does a good job of explaining it. ( hint- guys are clear enough you can play it 1.5 speed to save time). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

What type and method of lube are you using? 

I use the DIY lanolin spray method , the video covers does a good job of explaining it. ( hint- guys are clear enough you can play it 1.5 speed to save time). 

 

Hornady Unique, that stuff by last forever ! I am on my second tub it's almost empty. Latex or vinyl gloves and hand rub cases I put just the right amount of lube on !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far 200 cases trimmed , 120 sized.

The only FC cases damaged were ones that have had bent mouths. And more than half of those sized right. No Winchester cases were damaged. I have a few Fiochhi cases to go.

Still need to pick up one more box of projectiles. Saw some Varmit Power Pro powder for $33 but didn't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok , I sized all of the 7.62 x 39 brass I had 348 cases plus a few Grendel that I shot last fall. Its ready for primers , I may order a brass chamber checker from Amazon tommorow. Picked up a box of Hornady 120gr ELDM at Heally's. They have a pretty good selection or reloading supplies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up two boxes of 50 each of 130gr Sierra Tipped Game Kings at Sportsman's ,badass little bullet. That should do it for this caliber. Saw some 123gr Hornady SST's I would like to get some to try out.

Primed 350 cases with Winchester WLR be primers yesterday. I am ready to load them 😁

IMG_20191221_154840.jpg

Edited by MikedaddyH
350- 6.5 Grendel cases converted from 7.62 x 39 brass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...