• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.40 make it work!

sketch

Don't know if I've had a build post and a doesn't work thread in one place and im not backtracking.. lower foxtrot mikes same as the .9mm but i went .40. lots of stuffed rounds in the bolt delivery.. mags were just short? there is a mag stop on the left side of the mags . I filed that shits down. At this point im dangerous.. with a file!

Next was the feed ramp. I can make this pistola work.. just grind and polish..ish , Its 4 mags working by hand now soooo I'll shoot this Saturday and report! I feel good about it? 

20190730_213802.jpg

Edited by sketch
good shits!

Real men would'a made a 10mm by now...   I'm just sayin'...   :thefinger::lmao:

Serious shiit, though, no jokes - fuk are you using for a recoil system?...  I'm WAY curious on that part, and how this thing does in function...  

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Real men would'a made a 10mm by now...   I'm just sayin'...   :thefinger::lmao:

Serious shiit, though, no jokes - fuk are you using for a recoil system?...  I'm WAY curious on that part, and how this thing does in function...  

Its a 10 oz buffer and the recomend spring from fm products. my failure was 2 part with one out come.. mags were half, glock mags they have stop shelf on the left side that was hitting to soon,  afew file strokes and done. The other was no feed ramp at all. If you look at the barrel pick, there is a slight bevel around the chamber, that is all i had for a ramp.

The outcome is a smashed bullet into the case every damned time. sooooo I cut a bitch!

11 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Lower foxtrot Mike's ????

That's "Mr Foxtroter" to you....

Might want to touch up the self made feedramp with a Dremel and widen the bottom edge. So more than round point projectiles will feed.

used the dremel and a diamond file then polised with dremel. is working now with flat tip projos👍🍻

20190731_172542.jpg

Loaded some Berrys round nose 180s last night, manually cycled a couple mags through fast and hard. Get smilly faces on the top of the rounds where they hit the top of the chamber before they bounce in. Flipped them all over and did it again. Soft bullets for sure but I'm thinking maybe need the feed ramp on the top of the chamber, don't think the bottom is the problem with good mags. Like to find some real jacketed bullets that don't cost an arm and a leg. 

My other 2 rounds are XTP 155 and Xtreme 180s, plus a few of the lawman 155 left. The harder bullets in the cheap mags seem to work well, and having good luck with the glock factory mags also. 

Last thing on mags, don't get too aggressive on the hard stop on the left side, if you don't have to slam them hard you have taken too much off.

Take a look at stern defense or torkmag website I think that's where I found some filing techniques 

Mine are running very reliably 

Im sure im putting more effort in other things to make the lower work.... but its just a few small tweeks on my end and not sending it back? I don't mind the challenge,  it's the fubared ammo on the range when I should be having fun!!🍻🎯

Those shortened bullets are a drag, had a few while working the bugs out myself. On the factory lawman ammo, never happened and I had a hell of a time pulling a bullet just to see what powder / charge, like they are glued in. Couldn't do it with the collet die puller, had to slam it out with the kinetic puller. I usually spray a little lube in the case feeder after dumping in a pile  of brass but stopped doing that with the 40. Really need clean tight neck tension. Examining some of the fired brass after it's cleaned, it has some hits at the mouth as well.  

I'm using Winchester white box 40 s&w 165gn and some relodes made from RBS ammo I bought cheep several years ago. The ammo has been flawless in my glock .22 and the 21 modified mags still fit and hand functions.. I have the dies and components to relode but havent seen a need to yet.. If the .40 ends up as fun as the .9 thats another means to get busy, saving the brass.. 

I've built a few 9mm carbines using Glock mag lowers and they feed flawlessly without any feed ramp, the .40 however is a different kettle if fish, from my experience with pistol caliber carbines, flat point bullets and feeding issues are most all related to the position/angle of the round in the magazine as it presents itself to the bolt and the breechface end of the chamber.

I, after considerable thought and research, never started down the .40 road though because I firmly believe that .40 is hovering too damn close to the cliff edge for a straight blow back action, regardless of what weight buffer or recoil spring. yeah I know they exist and so do a few 10mm Auto straight blow backs as well.

If you are having bullets set back and then having to remove material from the rear of the chamber to form a feed ramp that is screaming to me potential case separation from set back bullets over pressuring the case in what is now a non fully supported chamber.

I would tread very cautiously. 

Just my 2c worth😊

2 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

I've built a few 9mm carbines using Glock mag lowers and they feed flawlessly without any feed ramp, the .40 however is a different kettle if fish, from my experience with pistol caliber carbines, flat point bullets and feeding issues are most all related to the position/angle of the round in the magazine as it presents itself to the bolt and the breechface end of the chamber.

I, after considerable thought and research, never started down the .40 road though because I firmly believe that .40 is hovering too damn close to the cliff edge for a straight blow back action, regardless of what weight buffer or recoil spring. yeah I know they exist and so do a few 10mm Auto straight blow backs as well.

If you are having bullets set back and then having to remove material from the rear of the chamber to form a feed ramp that is screaming to me potential case separation from set back bullets over pressuring the case in what is now a non fully supported chamber.

I would tread very cautiously. 

Just my 2c worth😊

Very true ! I did dance on the line here * I suppose a different mag than? I've tweeked the glock mags alot and don't feel i can keep a full mag from spilling out after the next tweaking?  However I did get 1of 4 magas to run pretty good! 3 ff in 22 rnds thats progress! 

I do not recommend doing what I did to my own gear! 🍻