• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Vltor A5 Buffer Question

jtallen83

I'm looking at a buffer kit from BCM that runs the Vltor A5 buffer. The kit comes with the lightest buffer 3.8 oz. I'm planning on using this in a 6.5 Grendel so thinking I may want a bit heavier for running it suppressed. Question is does anyone know if I can add standard tungsten weights to this buffer? I would assume they are using standard style buffer weights but hate to drop the coin and find out my weights won't fit and have to drop more coin to get the heavier one from Vltor, they are mighty proud of their stuff!

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I'm looking at a buffer kit from BCM that runs the Vltor A5 buffer. The kit comes with the lightest buffer 3.8 oz. I'm planning on using this in a 6.5 Grendel so thinking I may want a bit heavier for running it suppressed. Question is does anyone know if I can add standard tungsten weights to this buffer? I would assume they are using standard style buffer weights but hate to drop the coin and find out my weights won't fit and have to drop more coin to get the heavier one from Vltor, they are mighty proud of their stuff!

Yes, you can.  There's 4 weighs in a VLTOR A5 buffer - that's how many fit.   That's all I run in the Grendels, and 4 buffers are the 4.56oz A5H1 buffers, 1 is 5.33oz A5H2 buffer - it rocks, and really works great.  Not great enough to buy 4 more H2s, though, and replace those H1s.  It's a great system for Grendel, either of those buffer weights.   :thumbup: 

The only extensions I've used are either VLTOR RE10/A5SR or RE-A5, or the Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension.  I'm positive that the BCM Intermediate and the MagPul SR25/M110 extensions are complete top quality, and right on the money.  I think there's only been one of each here, from different people, but both spec'd out perfectly.  :thumbup:

The only other option that I know of, for a true, verified 7 5/8" internal-depth carbine receiver extension is @Robocop1051 - he makes his own.   :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

You don't need a 20 incher, brother - that's WAY overkill for a Grendel.  :thumbup:

This Grendel barrel right here is NUTS!!!  Accurate!!!  :hail:

https://ballisticadvantage.com/18-inch-65-grendel-spr-rifle-ss-premium-barrel.html

18in_6.5_grendel_hanson_1_1.jpg

I own one, built two - the other one is @Matt.Cross' Grendel Mk12 Mod 1.  Those barrels fuckin' ROCK...

Been looking at these;

https://faxonfirearms.com/match-series-18-heavy-fluted-6-5-grendel-416-r-5r-nitride-nickel-teflon-extension/

https://ballisticadvantage.com/18-inch-65-grendel-spr-fluted-midlength-ss-premium-barrel.html

Still hoping to find something like these but with matching bolts. I think I'm gonna build it on that Vltor MUR upper.

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The only extensions I've used are either VLTOR RE10/A5SR or RE-A5, or the Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension.  I'm positive that the BCM Intermediate and the MagPul SR25/M110 extensions are complete top quality, and right on the money.  I think there's only been one of each here, from different people, but both spec'd out perfectly.  :thumbup:

The only other option that I know of, for a true, verified 7 5/8" internal-depth carbine receiver extension is @Robocop1051 - he makes his own.   :hail:

I totally forgot about these. I think I have about 100 left in my shop. I will throw them on my website this afternoon.